Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:46 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That's actually a good point. I used to approach women without waiting for a signal. Basically, I didn't care about the outcome.
That's the way to do it. That way, if you strike out, it doesn't faze you. You can hit up randoms, but you can also keep your eye out for those signals, and hit up those. You go into it assuming your batting average won't be great, cuz some will be taken, and others won't be into you. But out of 10 or 11, there'll be that one. The one who makes the whole thing worth it. It's not a waste of time if it brings you closer to that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 09:49 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That's actually a good point. I used to approach women without waiting for a signal. Basically, I didn't care about the outcome.
Look at it this way. You have a better probability of landing a chick than you have landing a (high-paying) job after college. Are you going to quit college?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 PM

49 posts, read 40,252 times
@OP. The vast majority of women (3-10/10) have armies of men wanting to date/have sex with them so of course most are taken.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:05 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Look at it this way. You have a better probability of landing a chick than you have landing a (high-paying) job after college. Are you going to quit college?
I'd opine that this comparison is exactly backwards. There is accurate information available on the employment prospects, starting-salaries and salary-growth in various majors. Pursue the more promising majors, obtain good grades, and job prospects improve markedly. There are no guarantees, but odds improve. The same can not be said for pursuit of relationships.

Moreover, pursuing an education has value beyond mere employment prospects. It's sensible to earn a degree in an employable field, but even if that lucrative job isn't forthcoming, the self-broadening and sharpening of one's mental faculties are worthy ends in themselves. I can't think of a comparable "consolation prize" in a man's pursuit of women.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'd opine that this comparison is exactly backwards. There is accurate information available on the employment prospects, starting-salaries and salary-growth in various majors. Pursue the more promising majors, obtain good grades, and job prospects improve markedly. There are no guarantees, but odds improve. The same can not be said for pursuit of relationships.

Moreover, pursuing an education has value beyond mere employment prospects. It's sensible to earn a degree in an employable field, but even if that lucrative job isn't forthcoming, the self-broadening and sharpening of one's mental faculties are worthy ends in themselves. I can't think of a comparable "consolation prize" in a man's pursuit of women.
There aren't nearly as many high-paying jobs in existence as there are women (or men for that matter). That's my point. Statistically speaking, and without getting extremely technical, the probability of finding a mate is most likely better.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Nope I'm almost done. I'll be a junior in college starting this spring.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:29 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Women in groups are the best to talk to..

1. There's always at least one firecracker in the group who is easy to talk to, break the ice with.

2. Show interest in one (doesn't matter which one), then watch the others scramble to get your attention.

3. Figure out who is single.

4. Get the number of the one you are most attracted to.

5. Bada boom

6. Bada bing

Old 12-11-2014, 01:32 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mix-A-Lot View Post
@OP. The vast majority of women (3-10/10) have armies of men wanting to date/have sex with them so of course most are taken.

Yeah so why bother even trying. Ho hum...Derp.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:56 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
There aren't nearly as many high-paying jobs in existence as there are women (or men for that matter). That's my point. Statistically speaking, and without getting extremely technical, the probability of finding a mate is most likely better.
No argument from me on that regard. Rather, my point is that goals such as securing a remunerative job, becoming a successful investor, a celebrated violinist or basketball player, an eminent surgeon, a Pulitzer-Prize winning reporter and so forth – while difficult to achieve, and rare – can be approached according to a plan, a rubric. Following the plan is no guarantee of success, and luck always intervenes. Nevertheless, there's a chain of causality – A, B, C, D – do well in high school, get scholarships for college, go to a good college, enroll in a promising major, and so forth. Hard work an assiduous dedicated have good likelihood of reward, and in addition, the process itself is rewarding. The process itself improves us, even if the ultimate object (fame, money, influence, …) eludes us.

Well, such practices don't hold with relationships. There is no mountain to climb, from whose summit to shout victory, and women would come flocking. There is no great quest to fulfill, training from which to graduate, insight to glean, honor to attain, whereupon one would find linear and consequent success with the opposite sex.

I'm an aerospace engineer; not exactly a great one, but I do OK. I got there by attending a competitive and high-quality high-school, with excellent teachers who motivated me; then college, then graduate school. All along, I had help. I had colleagues, mentors, textbooks. Whatever knowledge I possess as an engineer, is cumulative; it builds on generations of much smarter men (and women), on their research and their insights. But in the great quest for a romantic partner, we're alone. Self-help literature is vapid and devoid of value. Mentors are absent. Perhaps the greatest challenge ever faced by Man - how not to die alone - remains the most inscrutable and not allayed even by a hundred generations of literature and accumulated "knowledge".

Old 12-11-2014, 04:30 PM

49 posts, read 40,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mix-A-Lot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Yeah so why bother even trying. Ho hum...Derp.
Nowhere in my most did I say don't try. You know my post is true but you don't like truth. Ho hum...Derp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships