Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 11,415 times

Advertisements

My apologies for the long first post. I am female, 54, no kids, unmarried, educated, slim, and have a good life with assets. Many people think I'm in the 39-42 year range because I take care of myself and am a lot of fun. I don't specifically "target" any age range of guy, and do fine living life by myself (just get tired of doing everything alone), and have a lot of interests, so I really don't think I'm a "cougar". For several years I've been friends/coworkers with, and a mentor to, a guy who is 32, he's cute but average, normal life, but a really good, well-mannered person with a good heart. He has taken a lot of my advice, which has turned out well for him, he thinks I'm amazing. He's called our relationship "this thing between us" and neither one of us know what that means. We find each other really interesting and he does a lot to help me, too, when I am dealing with something. He wants kids, but he doesn't realize with his age, there's a good chance that anyone he would marry a couple of years down the road will already have kids, and he doesn't want that. It's a family legacy thing, and he's not interested in being 35 with a 27 year old wife. So he doesn't realize he has a problem. For now, I don't even know how he views me, although he texts me every day to make sure I'm ok, buys me nice gifts, and cares about me. He's invited me to meet his parents/siblings. Recently, it's like my eyes are opened and I'm seeing him in a "relationship" light instead of just a "mentor/protege'". Should I forget any thoughts of this, should I pursue this, or just continue being great friends and see if it develops into anything else? and one thing I really need help with - should I wait to see if he makes a move first, or should I just go for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:54 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Him wanting kids is gonna throw a wrench in your plans..... While you guys may have a good chemistry/thing going, the kids thing might not go away for this guy and lets be honest, if you haven't hit menopause yet you're looking it in the face.

This is really the key to this whole thing.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
I will confess, I didn't read the scenario. I just red the headline and wondered why you are requesting help with a boytoy. You know what this is and that it is inappropriate in anyway to think of this man as nothing more than an exciting thrill to be had perhaps while you shop for a real relationship.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:56 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
This is tough because, as you say, he wants kids. If you do wind up having a relationship - I mean a boyfriend/girlfriend thing - you both need to realize that due to this issue, it won't be forever. So you'll both need to start out knowing there isn't a potential for "forever," and you both need to be okay with that.

He does have "later on" to have kids, if he doesn't mind being an older father (i.e. if he, say, marries at 40 and has his first child at 42, he will be 60 before even that first child graduates high school...but that's really his problem, not yours).**

That said, you aren't having sex? Kissing? Anything? I would ask him whether he wanted that type of relationship, and I would absolutely, during THAT conversation, not later, bring up the fact that you won't be having children.

** This is part of why I wouldn't have children past 40, BTW. As it is, we had our last child when I was 39 and I will be 57 when that littlest graduates high school. I want SOME time between that and death to be selfish and wander around the house half-naked. The other reason was simply that I knew I was tired already, and carrying a pregnancy at an older age was going to be tough...too tough for me. I admit that. It was hard enough at 39 with a pre-schooler. Obviously this guy, in your situation, won't have to think about that second part for him, personally, as he won't be carrying any pregnancies. Just putting in my own experience.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:09 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,767,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC21 View Post
My apologies for the long first post. I am female, 54, no kids, unmarried, educated, slim, and have a good life with assets. Many people think I'm in the 39-42 year range because I take care of myself and am a lot of fun. I don't specifically "target" any age range of guy, and do fine living life by myself (just get tired of doing everything alone), and have a lot of interests, so I really don't think I'm a "cougar". For several years I've been friends/coworkers with, and a mentor to, a guy who is 32, he's cute but average, normal life, but a really good, well-mannered person with a good heart. He has taken a lot of my advice, which has turned out well for him, he thinks I'm amazing. He's called our relationship "this thing between us" and neither one of us know what that means. We find each other really interesting and he does a lot to help me, too, when I am dealing with something. He wants kids, but he doesn't realize with his age, there's a good chance that anyone he would marry a couple of years down the road will already have kids, and he doesn't want that. It's a family legacy thing, and he's not interested in being 35 with a 27 year old wife. So he doesn't realize he has a problem. For now, I don't even know how he views me, although he texts me every day to make sure I'm ok, buys me nice gifts, and cares about me. He's invited me to meet his parents/siblings. Recently, it's like my eyes are opened and I'm seeing him in a "relationship" light instead of just a "mentor/protege'". Should I forget any thoughts of this, should I pursue this, or just continue being great friends and see if it develops into anything else? and one thing I really need help with - should I wait to see if he makes a move first, or should I just go for it?
OP:

Questions for you...

What is your employers policy regarding dating?

Are you in a supervisory role at work?

Regarding the bolded part in pink...

Have you thought about getting clarity about what "this thing between us" means?

Have you thought about asking him how he views you?

Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Thank you for your post. We are equals- as far as coworkers, and there's no policy against coworker relationships. I think a conversation may be happening soon, I just am having a problem reading him. I don't think he expected to have any feelings for me, which I'm still not sure are there. I may be misinterpreting this. He shows me a lot of attention, and if he were closer to my age, the way things are going, it would be clear to me that he wanted a relationship, I'm just confused because I never expected this from someone 2 decades younger than me.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:26 PM

We haven't had any physical contact except for a few hugs. He did invite me to a family party New Years Eve.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC21 View Post

I am female, 54, no kids, unmarried
a guy who is 32, he's cute but average
Enjoy a hot weekend. Maybe two.
Send him home on Sunday night.
Don't look for more and don't allow him to believe there is more to be had.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Enjoy a hot weekend. Maybe two.
Send him home on Sunday night.
Don't look for more and don't allow him to believe there is more to be had.
This ^

Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM

269 posts, read 370,884 times
He's only 32, he does have time to have kids with a woman in her 30s. I think you know the age gap is just too much between you two though. I'm in a similar situation to you and trying to make myself see reality - I am 44 (and yes look a lot younger) and the guy is 34.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships