Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Women like to do stuff, and doing stuff costs money. It may not be a complete dealbreaker - but being able to afford to take a nice trip now and then, being able to afford that 2-person kayak to take when you go camping as well as a vehicle to carry it, being able to afford to see that concert.... all that helps, no doubt about it. All things being equal, a guy making $120K is going to have better luck than a guy making $40K although we all know about people who buck the trend - many of them post on here.
I've said that time and time again. Most women are not introverts that are happy to stay at home and watch Netflix everyday. They are normal people who are not content to go to the library and go for endless walks in the park and finish up the night having sex all the time. Eventually you have to go out like a real couple and do things. Not everyone is frugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Getting back to the topic...

Money does matter. Women use all kinds of euphemisms - (has a job, has a car, has his s*** together, stable, etc., etc....) to describe what they want but it typically means "in control of his finances with some left over."

My experience is that there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to money. I'd estimate that the over/under is around $150K (relative to median U.S. income or its equivalent in expensive locales). Beyond that, there is nothing you can really buy that would make that much of a difference in most women's decisions.

Women like to do stuff, and doing stuff costs money. It may not be a complete dealbreaker - but being able to afford to take a nice trip now and then, being able to afford that 2-person kayak to take when you go camping as well as a vehicle to carry it, being able to afford to see that concert.... all that helps, no doubt about it. All things being equal, a guy making $120K is going to have better luck than a guy making $40K although we all know about people who buck the trend - many of them post on here.

I notice women in OLD are quite classist and sometimes subtly racist - this is particularly true for more affluent looking white women. Degree snobs are another way of being classist. OKC's blog, back when they analyzed their statistics, showed that women are very class and race selective in their responses. Men are too, but are somewhat less discriminatory.
Why would buying those things be on the man's shoulders exclusively? Usually couples pitch in 50/50, if they make around the same amount. Some of the scenarios that keep coming up on this forum about couples and money sound like images from the 50's, when there weren't many women making a professional salary, so men were the breadwinners. All that has changed, and women buy their own kayak, now. Sometimes it's the woman who pays for the vacations for both of them. Some couples are the old-fashioned kind. But there's a bias on this forum toward the 50's image of couples or marriages. Even though the women here say they make equal to their SO or close to it, except for a few SAHMs.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:35 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Roll up to a crowded club in a major city with a line of women out front in a super car. Should do the trick.
We've already established, or at least given reasonable evidence, that supercars appeal to teenage boys (who dream of them) and elderly men (who can actually afford them). Women would be largely indifferent. My daily-driver is a first-generation Mazda Miata. I've had numerous people tell me - with no irony or whimsy - that they thought that it was a supercar. I bought it used, for $2200.

Even if the supercar trick works, it's only an isolated occasion. Even if the lady in question bestows sexual favors, for how long would this last? Recall that our hero, Joe the Dentist, is looking for a mistress... except that he's unmarried, so the "mistress" would just be a girlfriend.

But let's drop the crass insinuations about gold-diggers. Suppose that Joe the Dentist wants to meet Jennifer the anesthesiologist, or Jackie the corporate attorney. He wouldn't do this with the baubles and accouterments of wealth, since now his target audience is understated and appreciative of success in business/investment, rather than in ostentatious spending.

Somebody mentioned "millionairematch.com", tongue in cheek, of course. But is there a site for formation of a symmetric relationship, forming as it were a power-couple? And did I mention that Joe lives in a small hick town with high unemployment and distinct scarcity of lucrative employment, so that if he's a 1%-er nationally, he's a 0.1%-er locally?

Old 12-24-2014, 05:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAD_straKt View Post
¯\(°_o)/¯ Let the gay jokes fly, I guess.

I never mentioned anything about sexual orientation.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:33 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
This is getting silly. You can have a girlfriend even if you are a broke single dad. (thank god) Meeting people is not that hard, sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone and just go for it.

However, sure money can help. Just having a bunch of it won’t do much but if you can afford it you can buy nice clothes, a nice car, a personal trainer, cosmetic surgery, whatever. You can go out to the in places, take vacations in nice places, and if you are not completely socially incompetent meeting women should not be too freaken hard.

Then there´s the internet. I have been out of the US for a long time but here there are several dating sites specifically for professionals and such.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:07 AM

109 posts, read 82,261 times
this is a good thread

I thought for a long time that being financially successful would help me get better in dating. Then I accomplished everything I wanted (nice place, luxury car, great income, etc....) and I still get nowhere in dating. Money doesn't mean much

Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM

90 posts, read 78,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I never mentioned anything about sexual orientation.
I didn't say you did. I said if you want to make the jokes, have at it.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:11 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DierksBentley View Post
this is a good thread

I thought for a long time that being financially successful would help me get better in dating. Then I accomplished everything I wanted (nice place, luxury car, great income, etc....) and I still get nowhere in dating. Money doesn't mean much
Might not GUARANTEE a date but it sure raises the possibilities. Have two nice guys approach the same woman. Both are nice, fun, and so on but one of them is broke, has no car, lives with his parents, etc. The other one has a nice place, luxury car, great income, etc. It's a no brainer to know who will end up taking her out.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:15 AM

109 posts, read 82,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
This is getting silly. You can have a girlfriend even if you are a broke single dad. (thank god) Meeting people is not that hard.

I've been trying to get a girlfriend since I was 16 (I'm 25) with no luck

I'm good looking, very well off, intelligent, have a college degree, caring/affectionate, masculine but sensitive, have a great lifestyle, etc...

LOL @ not hard to get a girlfriend

Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
To sum up:

• Money is a tool. A good mechanic can affect a faster and higher-quality repair with a quality set of tools. An incompetent mechanic will fail even with the best of tools. A mediocre mechanic will appear to perform at the level of a better mechanic, if the former's tools are superior to the latter's.
  • Even the best tools are useless if remaining locked in the toolbox.
  • No mechanic will thrive professionally if his fascination with the elegance of his tools precludes his willingness to get them dirty, scuffed and scratched.
  • Few customers will take their business to a given shop, on the basis of being impressed with a mechanic's tools. Reputation is built on doing quality work, and while quality tools are useful (if not essential) they're insufficient; see point #1.
  • That which is trivial for some people, is inordinately complicated for others. And vice versa. Be wary of pronouncing a given task to be easy.
  • Sometimes even the most blatantly obvious recipes are difficult to actualize. Theory vs. practice!
  • Possession of money can lead to an attitude of entitlement, especially by the self-made affluent. It's tempting to believe that because one has worked hard, followed the rules, took risks and managed to thrive, that ancillary rewards should be forthcoming. It's tempting to believe that if I've spent decades working hard in the office, that I shouldn't have to work hard socially outside of the office. That is not the case.
  • The flip side of freedom is lack of guarantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships