Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:55 PM

94 posts, read 116,641 times

Advertisements

I know, I know..sounds corny, but this is the second time I am posting, and I've gotten such great responses before, that I would like to do it again.

Originally from New York-30 years, a psychiatric nurse, who got accidentally stuck in Durham, NC. The people here after New Yorkers, are just wonderful-warm and kind, but this place is simply dead..You get out on Saturday night and not a lot to do. I have no friends here, even though I've lived here for 1 year.

I am looking to move. I am considering Texas for economic reasons, but I am a little concerned about it being a red state. I am open to any ideas, thoughts. This will be completely appreciated. Any cities in Texas you could recommend? Any cities at all you could suggest and why.

Me, 54, gwm, more intellectually bent, unattached, probably lonely, originally from Europe. Looking for friendly place, that has some sort of inkling of gay community, or friendly straight people. Any ideas? Thanks a million for reading my post.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Houston is friendly, pretty open minded. Houston may be red but yet look at our mayor. So I guess you will be in good hands here. Do I agree with it? Nope, but again we all open minded....

I really I don't understand the "hey I am gay thing". Do yo always have to flash it out? That bugs the hell outta of me. Just come in, blend in like everyone else, and stop flashing or putting it on my face....

Old 12-21-2014, 07:18 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I think you could be happy in any large city in Texas. Houston is friendly to the gay community (especially in the Inner Loop). If you do move here The Heights might be a great area for you.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Houston is very gay friendly, although a bit less so in the burbs.the burbs here are mainly for families, so if you don't have kids I would skip it.

Staying in the loop or close to it works. The Heights, Montrose, Westbury are all gay friendly areas. That's where most of my gay friends live, although they really are sprinkled throughout the metro area.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 PM

150 posts, read 218,133 times
There is also a great gay community & high quality of life in Galveston.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Houston is very gay friendly, although a bit less so in the burbs.the burbs here are mainly for families, so if you don't have kids I would skip it.

Staying in the loop or close to it works. The Heights, Montrose, Westbury are all gay friendly areas. That's where most of my gay friends live, although they really are sprinkled throughout the metro area.
This right here - also applies to straight people with no children. Westhou is also right in that you will be just fine in any of the 4 largest cities. Texas is a red state, but the 4 bigger cities all have blue mayors. Houston's mayor is a lesbian and never tried to hide it. She got re-elected. Last Republican mayor was in 1981 - yet the population seems pretty fifty-fifty. Houston is a city of transplants. This is why it's hard to stereotype.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 12-21-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
...and Dallas county elected a lesbian sheriff.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 PM

19 posts, read 31,021 times
Honestly, you must consider Austin. You must have heard of their slogan "keep Austin weird". The place is completely different than rest of the Texas. It is like a piece of California in TX. You should consider that city, better than Dallas or Houston.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:35 PM

94 posts, read 116,641 times
Thank you everyone or such insightful responses! I 'm going to check out the areas within the loop that you recommended. And I did not know about all these Lesbian politicians, mayors, and sheriffs. I'm totally excited to visit it again.

@ post about moving to Austin, I've been there a year ago, and got an impression that almost everyone there way younger than I am. I might be generalizing, but don't want to be an ousider. Would I still find people who are older? Am I correct in my generalization? Are there jobs in the medical field?

@ the first post "hey I am gay thing". Do yo always have to flash it out? ".. I am just curious what you meant by the term "flaunting it" referring to gayness? If I, say, worked somewhere and decided to put up a picture of my ex boyfriend in my cubicle, would you think I am "putting it on your face"? What if I lied and when asked told them it's my Black brother? What if the straight guy in the next cubicle puts out a pic of his children? Should I be as upset and tell him to stop putting it on my face?..Just for my general information?

Last edited by nyc1641; 12-21-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 AM

264 posts, read 441,716 times
Have you visited Dallas? Particularly Uptown around the Oaklawn area? That would be a perfect fit. A nice blend of ages in a very nice community. It is very well established and everything you will ever need will be within a couple square miles. There are medical centers close by as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships