Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:13 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

I think the use of the word "confirmed" (bachelor, etc.) used to be code for "homosexual," often used in obituaries!

I'm 61 and never married. I wouldn't say I miss being married (how could I) but I don't think I've been successful in relationships, the few that I've had. I think I'd like to have known someone where there was enough mutual interest to think of marriage, but I don't necessarily believe in it as a ritual. Lifelong companion, you bet. That's missing for me. The better marriages I know of are second marriages, and usually don't involve children. I only can think of two marriages that are first marriages that I envy at all, and there were no children involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
Sure. Some people never want to get married, or even be in monogamous relationships.

As for knowing people. Far as I am aware, 2 of my aunts, who are late forties to early fifties have never been married. Had kids with different men, but no marriage though. They seem fine, and not to care. And 1 aunt has her grandchildren she cares for, so I think they're enough for her without a sex or romantic partner.

So, just depends on your own life, and what you have going on to enjoy outside of marriage.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I am in a many years long, committed relationship. I'm happy, he's happy and I don't think being legally married would make either one of us happier.

Being married (or partnered) is not a benchmark for happiness, nor always a reason for it. Single people can be happy, or not. So many other factors in life factor into one's overall sense of contentedness.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:30 PM

66 posts, read 49,465 times
I certainly hope so, I've no intention to marry.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:36 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I've posted this elsewhere recently. I was single till I was in my mid 40's. Now that the new has worn off, I now realize being single was as good as being married, as far as my overall happiness is concerned. I just didn't know, because I hadn't been married.

Sure, it's nice having my sweet husband around but there are always trade offs. We're pretty happy, all in all.

But-- being married can be quite challenging. You're always negotiating over something. There are spells of peace and tranquility, then **** hits the fan. Then you're fixing that. Then there's another spell of relative peace. So on and so forth.

Summary: being married doesn't necessarily make everything better than being single. Really. Be happy now.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:43 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I've posted this elsewhere recently. I was single till I was in my mid 40's. Now that the new has worn off, I now realize being single was as good as being married, as far as my overall happiness is concerned. I just didn't know, because I hadn't been married.

Sure, it's nice having my sweet husband around but there are always trade offs. We're pretty happy, all in all.

But-- being married can be quite challenging. You're always negotiating over something. There are spells of peace and tranquility, then **** hits the fan. Then you're fixing that. Then there's another spell of relative peace. So on and so forth.

Summary: being married doesn't necessarily make everything better than being single. Really. Be happy now.
Very true.

But the two most important things my marriage has "gifted" me is my son & daughter, and from my son 2 grandsons. Sure, you can have children without being married, but I feel the "stamp" on the children is much stronger from a marriage.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:44 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I am a senior and have several friends who never married, were in relationships here and there, but are very content and happy with their lives. No one needs a man or a woman to make them happy or complete.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I honestly think I'd be happiest with a non-live-in, not-married monogamous relationship, where he preferably lives within a hour's drive. If he'll cook, that's even better. I think I'd like a permanent boyfriend, for both romance and a best friend to have my back and I have his, but not putting our senior lives together.

Think I might even have someone, a lively possibility!

Old 12-23-2014, 04:23 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,307 times
Do I know anyone? Yea, my mother. She seems happy.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Anyone can be happy as long as they're doing what they want to be doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships