Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 04:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Actually it doesn't say that since it was about percentages.

It says a smaller set of men ever receive messages than the population of women that receive messages, irrespective of the volume. That's a separate issue.
I think this goes back to the belief that if most women think that Brad Pitt is attractive - that this means that women only find men like Brad Pitt attractive. When, in reality, just because most women find Brad Pitt attractive - it doesn't mean that they don't also find men like Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, Benedict Cumberpatch, etc. attractive. Having diverse taste doesn't mean that you don't find extremely attractive people attractive. Many men on here seem to think that in order for women not to be shallow or not to all have the same taste in men - that women need to think attractive men are unattractive.

So - in regards to women messaging a small percentage of men - I would say that women, for the most part, probably don't message as often. So in order for them to message someone, they would have to be extremely attractive. And extremely attractive men are probably considered attractive by most women - but that doesn't mean that they are the ONLY men that they find attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 05:01 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post

So - in regards to women messaging a small percentage of men - I would say that women, for the most part, probably don't message as often. So in order for them to message someone, they would have to be extremely attractive. And extremely attractive men are probably considered attractive by most women - but that doesn't mean that they are the ONLY men that they find attractive.

Ok, but there is data out there that, again, OKC has shown and has posted here, that show women do find a smaller percentage of men "attractive" than men find women "attractive", by a significant margin.

Now that's just physical attractiveness, which is why I used the quotes.

Personally, I hate how physically good looking and attractive are so often tossed around interchangeably. They're not the same thing at all. I can look at a picture and tell if someone is good looking. I would have no idea if I found them attractive until we met, talked, and I started to get to know someone. Lots of good looking people are unattractive, and there are people that don't fit the objective "good looking" criteria that are incredibly attractive.

Just a pet peeve of mine (I have many).

Old 12-25-2014, 05:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ok, but there is data out there that, again, OKC has shown and has posted here, that show women do find a smaller percentage of men "attractive" than men find women "attractive", by a significant margin.

Now that's just physical attractiveness, which is why I used the quotes.

Personally, I hate how physically good looking and attractive are so often tossed around interchangeably. They're not the same thing at all. I can look at a picture and tell if someone is good looking. I would have no idea if I found them attractive until we met, talked, and I started to get to know someone. Lots of good looking people are unattractive, and there are people that don't fit the objective "good looking" criteria that are incredibly attractive.

Just a pet peeve of mine (I have many).
I agree with you. For instance, if you had me looking at a bunch of pictures, I could tell you which guys I found attractive - but I would have no attraction to them. And if I met the "attractive" ones in person - there is no guarantee that I would be attracted to them or that I would want to date them. The guys that I've actually dated have been extremely diverse looks wise - and if you had showed me pictures of them before I met them, I probably wouldn't have found a lot of them to be very attractive. However, the reason that I dated them was because I was VERY attracted to them in person.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:32 PM

377 posts, read 620,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
It's so funny when I read the answers on these "authorities" who barely even have the sack to ask a woman on a date. Some of the answers I've read have come from very narrow minded, and limited in experienced men. Only a guy who has been with <5, would have these types of views. Maybe instead of giving the gospel on what women think/do, you should just listen, and learn.
I'm not so sure this is a very convincing argument. Are you essentially saying there is an 'experience' requirement for someone to make a factual observation? If so, frankly, that is rather ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
How do you know more women cheat then men do? Because you've been cheated on,. and never cheated? Well your sss, isn't the real picture. Why do you always quote studies, lets hear about real life experiences, because that's the truth, not some SSS study, which is biased in order to prove a person's essay.
I take it then that anecdotes and personal stories carry more weight to you than science and factual data?

Old 12-25-2014, 05:57 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Why would you think that? I simply can't wrap my head around someone choosing to believe this. I've rarely been attracted to someone right away. I have to get to know someone before I'm attracted to them. This has nothing to do with thinking I can't do any better looks-wise. A witty, sexy sense of humor is not something that can be detected by just looking at a person. There is so much more to a person that just their outer shell. The more you get to know a person, the more attraction can grow. To blame it on lack of options is ridiculous.

You are hurting yourself. Negativity is toxic to happiness.
I am happy (I just happen to be more bored today than usual). I also don't feel that I'm being negative. I am just being realistic.

I believe that there a lot of subconscious mechanisms going on that others seem to not be able to appreciate. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Don't men do the same thing though? Not every man can get his ideal woman.
Yes they do. I never said that they didn't. I just think that since women are pickier overall, they find less men attractive and, therefore, do this more often.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Yes they do. I never said that they didn't. I just think that since women are pickier overall, they find less men attractive and, therefore, do this more often.
Ok. But if a woman isn't naturally attracted to certain men, that isn't her fault. It wouldn't make sense for women to choose to ONLY be attracted to a very small percentage of men. If it were a choice, we would choose what was widely available so that our odds would be better.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Ok. But if a woman isn't naturally attracted to certain men, that isn't her fault. It wouldn't make sense for women to choose to ONLY be attracted to a very small percentage of men. If it were a choice, we would choose what was widely available so that our odds would be better.
I never said that it's her fault.

It is what it is. But women shouldn't complain about how difficult it is to find good guys when they're all chasing the same ones.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:13 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
In your experience, do you agree or disagree with the above? Do you agree that men can find a large number of diverse and completely different looking women to be attractive, while women seem to be rather homogenous in their taste and what they find attractive?

Why or why not?
Agree, I can find lots of different types very attractive in terms of ethnicity and facial features. That said, there is a certain type of body that I find VERY attractive and as a younger person always gravitated towards. Now as a somewhat older person, it doesn't seem to matter as much.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I never said that it's her fault.

It is what it is. But women shouldn't complain about how difficult it is to find good guys when they're all chasing the same ones.
Well, it's a valid complaint if the good guys that they want are scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships