Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 3,149 times

Advertisements

I just need some objective advice because I'm not the best with relationships and don't have a lot of experience. There's this guy that I hung out with a few times and only considered a friend/acquaintance. However even though we got along I started to get increasingly uncomfortable around him because I knew that he wanted something more. But instead of him being upfront and telling me he was interested, it just started to change to him trying to take me out to dinner and trying to pay while I kept reiterating that we were just friends. I didn't outright state that I wasn't interested because he never told me he was, so it just seemed too awkward to be blunt. I used to be really shy and it comes back at times. So I distanced myself for a while.

Now he recently texted me about meeting up for coffee and me feeling guilty I said alright thinking it would be just a friendy chat as friends. However when I mentioned when I was free to meet up, it quickly turned into asking me to dinner. I don't want to lead him on and I feel really uncomfortable about the whole thing. We're not good friends or anything, so I'm tempted to just distance myself, though that sounds cold and I feel guilty just thinking about it. Any advice? I'm not trying to be mean to him, but he hasn't really been upfront either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM

378 posts, read 441,552 times
Are you attracted to him?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 PM

No I'm not attracted to him. I thought he was just a friend, but it's like he's trying to turn hanging out into dates without actually asking me. If he'd honestly asked me out, I would have gone out once just to see, though I don't think anything would have come of it. Then at least we could have cleared the air and either stayed friends or gone our separate ways.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:51 PM

619 posts, read 651,978 times
Tell him that you appreciate his friendship and it's really nice to be able to hang out with someone you only feel platonically for.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
What are you feeling guilty about?

Old 12-26-2014, 10:39 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,810,060 times
Next time he asks you to dinner I'd say "just as friends, right"? And then see what he says.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozi890 View Post
No I'm not attracted to him. I thought he was just a friend, but it's like he's trying to turn hanging out into dates without actually asking me. If he'd honestly asked me out, I would have gone out once just to see, though I don't think anything would have come of it. Then at least we could have cleared the air and either stayed friends or gone our separate ways.

I don't understand what difference it would make if he asked you out on a formal date and you would go
"just to see".
What do you expect to be different? Going out as friends and going out on a date is basically the same thing.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:48 PM

I might try saying that then. Although I've said similar things before, but maybe that would be blunt enough to get it across.

I guess I feel guilty because I avoided him instead of dealing with it. I feel like I'd be best either being direct with him or going back to fading out of the friendship. We got along, but weren't good friends or anything. And is it even really a friendship if one person has another motive? I don't know. I feel like in some friendships and relationships, I go along with the flow instead of doing what's best for me...

Old 12-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Would it be the same thing going out on a date compared to as friends? I guess it wouldn't be any different since I already know it wouldn't be anything more than friendship. Just that if he was upfront about it, I'd have a better idea about how to respond.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:54 PM

378 posts, read 441,552 times
Default Don't be **** teaser. Tell him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozi890 View Post
that you are not attracted to him, he will appreciate your honesty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships