Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 AM

172 posts, read 255,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What country is he from? Sounds like one of those male-centric North African or Middle Eastern ones. Good luck with that!

I guess the cultural differences you would encounter didn't occur to you before marriage?
He is actually from Mexico, which can be a very masculine driven culture but he is pretty progressive on gender issues and is liberal. He's pro-choice and doesn't mind me working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My thoughts exactly. OP, cut your losses now, save yourself a lot of future unhappiness.
Yeah I'm kind of afraid of where this is going and hope he will realize he's wrong on some things. I think our move to a colder city this spring will be the make or break point. If he continues to complain about having to move because of my heart problems, I may just have to let it go

Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
You could always ask him about it. I find that's the best way to get answers.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
You could always ask him about it. I find that's the best way to get answers.
I already did. I posted earlier in the thread that he gave a non answer of something like "I just didn't give anyone presents."

Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
I have a question because we're not getting the entire story here ...

Does your husband celebrate Christmas? Maybe his family doesn't celebrate Christmas and you don't know about it.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
He sounds like a douchebag, you're not just "anyone".

Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What country is he from? Sounds like one of those male-centric North African or Middle Eastern ones. Good luck with that!

I guess the cultural differences you would encounter didn't occur to you before marriage?
This is so cliché, I can't even. The first sentence is quite offensive to be honest.

I didn't know that male-centric men were specifically Middle-Eastern.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
He sounds like a douchebag, you're not just "anyone".
I date someone who never paid for a single date (not even when I just ordered a 3£ drink). He never even offered. That's what I call a "douche".

Maybe her husband has underlying reasons as to why he can't or doesn't want to offer gifts. It sounds like a cultural issue to me more so than an affective one anyway. Obviously if he married her, he loves her (to a certain extent). Maybe he just didn't know what to get you? Or maybe he thought that now he's got you hooked, he doesn't have to make these grand romantic gestures anymore?

I personally wouldn't put too much emphasis on this but that's just me.

I think you should talk to him. We can't come up with reasons as to why he didn't get you anything. Only he knows why!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:49 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
He's constantly complaining about them having to move north away from his parents for her health. What part of to love and protect didn't he understand? Married men are supposed to put their wives first above being close to mom and dad. It sounds like he sort of is putting her first, but not without whining and trying to make her feel guilty about it. He also seems to have issues with "in sickness and in health".

We only get her side, but why should we assume she's lying. He sounds like a bona-fide ass who's starting to take her for granted 1 year into marriage. That's my opinion.

I recommended divorce. I normally don't. In this case from her story I get that he didn't take his marriage vows seriously, which to me is grounds for divorce.

Married men are also supposed to work and support their families as well but I know a Mexican gal who is married to a Mexican man who hasn't worked most of their 30 year marriage.......so what exactly is your point?

Married men are also not supposed to beat on their wives, children or grandchildren, molest them, verbally abuse them or make them do without while they have the best of everything either........so what exactly is your point?

I did not assume she is telling a lie, I stated that we should get his side of the story and see what he says.
Again, what is your point?

Has she accomplished anything posting this issue on this board instead of talking to her husband about this issue and the money issue?
I see no posts from her stating things have been settled so I will venture to guess she has either said nothing to him or she has said something to him besides what was stated in her original post and they haven't got things worked out yet.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightes View Post
If he hasn't got his parents any gifts as well, I doubt he did it to bother you on purpose. It probably means nothing, he simply doesn't care much about Christmas.
Why wouldn't his own wife know that? They've been married for a year, together for 2 years prior to that, and he's still a stranger to her in some respects. Isn't that unusual? I wonder how he handled previous Christmases. Was she completely blindsided by this non-observance of a major Western holiday? If so, how could that be possible if they've been together 3 years?

P.S. Christmas is a big deal in Mexico, just like in the US. It's not like he's from a different religious tradition. Not marking the holiday sounds passive-aggressive to me.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-27-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships