Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:31 PM

172 posts, read 255,116 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been married for one year. When we were dating, he got me a digital camera one year and then my engagement ring the next. He was always very generous when we were dating and bought my gas (we were long distance), paid meals, etc. now that we live together I pay more than half the bills despite similar salaries.

My husband got me nothing for Christmas this year and I bought him an expensive GPS. We have plenty of money as we don't have kids and live in a cheap city. I'm disappointed he didn't even get me a card or make me cookies or anything else. He didn't get his parents gifts either. In the last six months, he bought two of his friends (in his home country) $80-$100 used iPhones. Last night on Christmas he started talking about the $400 phone he wants to get in a couple months even tho his works fine. Am I wrong to be mad about getting no Christmas gift? Is this a bad sign? I just don't know how to make him see it's wrong to go from being generous while dating to getting me nothing now that he "has me"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:34 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Has he been sleeping in the dog box?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
My husband and I have been married for one year. When we were dating, he got me a digital camera one year and then my engagement ring the next. He was always very generous when we were dating and bought my gas (we were long distance), paid meals, etc. now that we live together I pay more than half the bills despite similar salaries.

My husband got me nothing for Christmas this year and I bought him an expensive GPS. We have plenty of money as we don't have kids and live in a cheap city. I'm disappointed he didn't even get me a card or make me cookies or anything else. He didn't get his parents gifts either. In the last six months, he bought two of his friends (in his home country) $80-$100 used iPhones. Last night on Christmas he started talking about the $400 phone he wants to get in a couple months even tho his works fine. Am I wrong to be mad about getting no Christmas gift? Is this a bad sign? I just don't know how to make him see it's wrong to go from being generous while dating to getting me nothing now that he "has me"...
I think it's safe to assume you didn't give him any that night.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It's not the money that matters.

It's that he (apparently??) did not think to do ANYthing to mark this holiday, either for you or for his parents.

Not even a card?

Weird, and sad.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
He's not very thoughtful or appreciative of you. Can you live with that?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
My ex wife did that to me a couple of times. That wasn't why I left. It was symptoms of a larger problem

Old 12-26-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's not the money that matters.

It's that he (apparently??) did not think to do ANYthing to mark this holiday, either for you or for his parents.

Not even a card?

Weird, and sad.
Yeah that's what I'm disappointed about. I'm a non materialistic person so I would have been ecstatic about getting some flowers or nice lotion...but got nothing. He is from another country but it is a very catholic country that celebrates Christmas so I know it can't be a cultural difference. Idk what to do, I'm worried I'll be disappointed every holiday from now on...

Old 12-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think it's safe to assume you didn't give him any that night.
I did. I figured I'd at least get something that day. Lol!

Old 12-26-2014, 09:48 PM

619 posts, read 651,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
Yeah that's what I'm disappointed about. I'm a non materialistic person so I would have been ecstatic about getting some flowers or nice lotion...but got nothing. He is from another country but it is a very catholic country that celebrates Christmas so I know it can't be a cultural difference. Idk what to do, I'm worried I'll be disappointed every holiday from now on...
You could always apologize and say you didn't realize that now that you're married, you're not supposed to get gifts for each other. Offer to take the GPS back now that you realize the situation.

OR just asked him why he didn't get you anything.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Run
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships