Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times

Advertisements

I've complained so many times that I live in food lover's paradise, yet I so rarely have anyone to go out with to enjoy all these wonderful places. A lot of my friends have SOs to enjoy these places with, others can't afford them, or they have to get home to their kids, etc., so I only get to enjoy these places on occasion. There's one restaurant I go to alone every so often for lunch because I never feel awkward there, but that's because no one is at the bar to see me sitting alone on a weekday.

So, I bit the bullet and tried one of my favorite restaurants alone the other night. It's probably the biggest hotspot in the city, full of people my age, so I figured I had nothing to lose in going out to eat dinner alone for once. When I arrived and saw how packed it was, I suddenly panicked and wanted to turn around and leave, since I figured I wouldn't be able to get a spot at the bar and that I'd feel pathetic sitting alone when everyone else was clearly with someone. But I figured, hey, I got dressed up and trekked over here, so I'm going to at least try. Even though I was terrified at first of walking all the way through the packed restaurant to sit alone at the bar, I did it! I felt like everyone was watching me, but I did it and confidently sat at the bar alone and ENJOYED it!

I don't know if anyone felt sorry for me dining alone or thought less of me, but at a certain point I didn't care because I was so happy to be out of my house and around people and eating a fabulous meal! It was a great feeling to have not only conquered a fear, but to know that I can still enjoy life as a single person and not have to always feel so awkward! Maybe I'll meet someone this way. Maybe I won't. But at least I get to enjoy one of the greatest benefits of where I live! I only wish I had started sooner.

So to the other singles out there, it's okay to go out to dinner alone when everyone else is together. It's my goal for the new year to enjoy at least one or two dinners out alone each month. Besides, I can go when and where I want, order what I want, and not feel pressured to order alcohol if I don't want. There's no pressure in dividing the bill - it's just all mine and it's completely enjoyable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 11:00 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I think the whole point is that hardly anyone notices us as much as we think they do. We feel SO self-conscious doing something, but usually people glance at you and then go on with their evening.

Once we all let go of our insecurities, we can enjoy life much more. Good for you.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Way to go KatyKat

Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
Exactly! Once I realized how focused everyone was on their own situation, I stopped feeling pathetic. And I never seem to notice who someone is or isn't sitting with at the bar when I'm dining, so I don't know why I always feel as though everyone is watching and judging me - just an insecurity, I guess, from being single so long.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:09 AM

117 posts, read 142,096 times
I think most people care way too much what others say/think about them.Once you genuinely let go of these insecurities, you free yourself in so many ways it feels great.

People think it´s weird you go out alone?..so what, you´re there to enjoy the food, not to conform to their expectations.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think the whole point is that hardly anyone notices us as much as we think they do. We feel SO self-conscious doing something, but usually people glance at you and then go on with their evening.

Once we all let go of our insecurities, we can enjoy life much more. Good for you.
I agree, I think we have a tendency to think that the spotlight is on us at all times, I think people notice you and then as you said they go about with their evening.

Good job for the OP, this seemed like something that was bothering her and she's moving thru it. Always good news to hear.

Several yrs ago I had to work out of town a lot and I ended up eating alone in restaurants by myself fairly often. I think it's not too bad, I did eat at the bar frequently but have sat in booths alone.

This was the days before smart phones were ubiquitous, I see people alone at places but now they have their noses in their phones or tablets.... but that's another thread.

It didn't bother me too much, I was still with Mrs. Chow then so maybe knowing that I wasn't single helped... IDK... in retrospect I don't recall having those thoughts, but maybe I did.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:30 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP, my mom never understood the concept of going out to eat alone. I never understood why I should stay cooped up at home and miss out on a nice evening out and a nice meal, just because I didn't have someone to go with. I love dining out on my own!

Old 12-27-2014, 11:42 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I've complained so many times that I live in food lover's paradise, yet I so rarely have anyone to go out with to enjoy all these wonderful places. A lot of my friends have SOs to enjoy these places with, others can't afford them, or they have to get home to their kids, etc., so I only get to enjoy these places on occasion. There's one restaurant I go to alone every so often for lunch because I never feel awkward there, but that's because no one is at the bar to see me sitting alone on a weekday.

So, I bit the bullet and tried one of my favorite restaurants alone the other night. It's probably the biggest hotspot in the city, full of people my age, so I figured I had nothing to lose in going out to eat dinner alone for once. When I arrived and saw how packed it was, I suddenly panicked and wanted to turn around and leave, since I figured I wouldn't be able to get a spot at the bar and that I'd feel pathetic sitting alone when everyone else was clearly with someone. But I figured, hey, I got dressed up and trekked over here, so I'm going to at least try. Even though I was terrified at first of walking all the way through the packed restaurant to sit alone at the bar, I did it! I felt like everyone was watching me, but I did it and confidently sat at the bar alone and ENJOYED it!

I don't know if anyone felt sorry for me dining alone or thought less of me, but at a certain point I didn't care because I was so happy to be out of my house and around people and eating a fabulous meal! It was a great feeling to have not only conquered a fear, but to know that I can still enjoy life as a single person and not have to always feel so awkward! Maybe I'll meet someone this way. Maybe I won't. But at least I get to enjoy one of the greatest benefits of where I live! I only wish I had started sooner.

So to the other singles out there, it's okay to go out to dinner alone when everyone else is together. It's my goal for the new year to enjoy at least one or two dinners out alone each month. Besides, I can go when and where I want, order what I want, and not feel pressured to order alcohol if I don't want. There's no pressure in dividing the bill - it's just all mine and it's completely enjoyable!
I've been going out to dinner alone 2-3 times per week for the past 2 years, for the most part. I've never been aware that this is actually an issue for some people.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:50 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Dining alone isn’t for me especially when I’ve sat near happy couples that are just dating all the way to the married ones. It just reinforces that I’m single, which I hate and despise with a passion, and makes me feel alone. You don’t see many single diners but for those that actually have fun and enjoy this experience I say go for it.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:52 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I've been going out to dinner alone 2-3 times per week for the past 2 years, for the most part. I've never been aware that this is actually an issue for some people.
It can be a hurdle for women to get over for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships