Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,274 times

Advertisements

I've volunteered for years and haven't met anyone. Well, I made a friend from volunteering, but she turned out to be a not-so-good friend. Oh well. Volunteer for something you genuinely enjoy if you're going to volunteer, otherwise it's just a job with no return and no pay. Don't expect to meet someone, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryborg View Post
Atheist meetup sucks? :-( Aw, man, I was going to try that. Not that I'm a activist atheist or anything, I thought that would be a great way to meet secular women, which beyond the religious outlook would be more progressive, free spirted, new souled and generally hipper like myself.
The place to find women like that isn't at atheist groups, but at Buddhist centers. Buddhism is atheistic/non-theistic, you know.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 PM

286 posts, read 305,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Volunteer because you want to help other people.

Join eHarmony if you want to meet women.
Will I really meet women on EHarmony? They just ignore me on all the free sites. My friend is on Match and he gets no replies either.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 PM

286 posts, read 305,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I've volunteered for years and haven't met anyone. Well, I made a friend from volunteering, but she turned out to be a not-so-good friend. Oh well. Volunteer for something you genuinely enjoy if you're going to volunteer, otherwise it's just a job with no return and no pay. Don't expect to meet someone, though.
I make rather good money so I conduct most of my philanthropy though anonymous (non-claimed) donations. I don't share that I do either. I feel it's egotistical to do so. I actually think people shouldn't have to be philanthropists. A good society would have it built in. I know, I know, "Move to Sweden". It's cold there... LOL.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I volunteer to give back to the community I live in. It is something we should all do. Not to pick up women. Rather to give back and make your town a better place.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's one of those sounds good things. The vast majority of married people I know met through either OLD or at bars/parties/shows.
I have never met anyone that is in a successful marriage and met their SO on OLD or at a bar. Everyone that I know either met in school, at work, or through friends.

I've met plenty of girls at bars and I can't how that can be a good idea anyway. As far as OLD goes, I still don't believe that an average man can do it and have options there.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 PM

13,642 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I have never met anyone that is in a successful marriage and met their SO on OLD or at a bar. Everyone that I know either met in school, at work, or through friends.
Indeed. For all of our bluster about cold-approach, about being imaginative and edgy and rising above our comfort-zones, it stands to reason that most people don't meet their future spouse while on safari in Tanzania or the frozen-aisle of Trader Joe's, or during happy-hour, or online. They meet in their usual and accustomed environments - school or work; they're introduced by friends, or run into each other at gatherings hosted by mutual friends.

So for person who's done with formal schooling, for whom it's impractical or dangerous to attempt dating in the workplace, whose friends are small in number and all married anyway - for him (and typically it's a "him"), the options narrow considerably.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 12-31-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
So for person who's done with formal schooling, for whom it's impractical or dangerous to attempt dating in the workplace, whose friends are small in number and all married anyway - for him (and typically it's a "him"), the options narrow considerably.
I definitely agree. But what's to be done?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Most people on this forum think that meeting people in the workplace is a bad idea.

Personally, I think meeting people on OLD or at bars/singles events is a WAY worse idea. You simply have no idea who you're getting involved with. At least at work, you can see people's habits, their true personality, and how they interact with people.

As long as you have some social skills and have experience with women, you shouldn't have any issue with sexual harassment, awkwardness, etc.

I've seen plenty of workplace romances begin and end. Everything was civil. Nothing like the scenarios I've read about on Teh Interwebz.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 PM

39,206 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I always wanted to be a competitive swimmer or a professional waterpolo player. I also think being a professional artist is not a bad idea.

But, I cannot stand another athlete or another artist (wannabe included) I don't know why.

I am more attracted to people who are different from me. I found software engineers, military men,(special forces) lawyers, etc incredibly attractive. Those are the people I normally date anyway. I created many opportunities for myself in order to meet these men.

Volunteering job to me is another job. I think using that to meet people and you have no passion for what you do is kind of deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships