Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,515,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
More common than you think, those of us who are more practical and not material possessio oriented want a simple band. Overall we do not need to be reminded with a big ring that we are married, after that it is more practical depending on employment to not wear a big ring. Some of us actually still scrub our own toilets and do our own dishes and don't want to ruin a very costly bauble.
Really, though, turns out, diamonds tend to hold up to scrub water and dish detergent just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,832,971 times
I'd prefer to pick out a ring myself (a channel setting for the tomboy/sports factor). The ex gave me a recycled ring. Thanks. And then he got offended when I switched out the "can hardly see it" to a visible diamond. LOL.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,146,382 times
I may have posted before but here's my ring story. When I met my wife she was just a kid (18) a little immature and somewhat materialistic. She told my friends on several occasions that she wanted a huge rock that cost 'x' months of salary, etc. My buddies were like "good luck with her!"

Fast forward 4 years later, she finished her undergrad degree and moved to another state to go to grad school. Living on her own with a small stipend that she got for teaching was a rude awakening for her as she realized the value of a dollar and how expensive it is to live on ones own.

Anyway, she eventually backtracked on her ring requirements and we just both got nice wedding bands that were about $1k each and we're happy.

25 years later, she's still frugal. We've been together forever it seems and don't always exchange gifts anymore. Her birthday was last month and I bought her a nice, 14k Pandora charm bracelet just to let her know how much she means to me. Her initial reaction was to return it but she eventually came around and decided to keep it.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,129,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeh63 View Post
Why would a guy not like a woman that says "Nope - I don't want you to spend $10-20k on a ring"?
Holy ****...now I see why people think it's so expensive to get married.

My engagement ring was $900 (we planned it together), and our wedding was about the same amount.

Our honeymoon was where we splurged ($4000 total for 10 days including both our rt flights), but only because we wanted to go adventuring in Australia anyway.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:42 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,372,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Holy ****...now I see why people think it's so expensive to get married.

My engagement ring was $900 (we planned it together), and our wedding was about the same amount.

Our honeymoon was where we splurged ($4000 total for 10 days including both our rt flights), but only because we wanted to go adventuring in Australia anyway.
10k-20k can have very different reactions for very different people. A 10k ring for a man that makes 150k is not the same for a man that makes 40k. Not to mention, I've seen a lot of families help out with rings. I have guy friends in college/grad school that don't work put huge rocks on their Gf's finger. Usually with families with money.

That being said, I think any girl expecting that has issues..

Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,614,276 times
Nothing sexier than a woman that could care less about a ring and just wants to be in the company of her man.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:56 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,016,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
seen a couple of women here would prefer an "engagement ring" over a wedding

fascinating!

i'd like to discuss the details behind that thought process

A ring or other token is a sign of commitment to another, but a wedding is an over priced party that is a drain on finances and resources.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:58 AM

48,509 posts, read 34,775,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly_12 View Post
A ring or other token is a sign of commitment to another, but a wedding is an over priced party that is a drain on finances and resources.
Not necessarily. It's the couples choice on what they find important and how they spend their money.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,016,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not necessarily. It's the couples choice on what they find important and how they spend their money.
Ace_TX wanted to hear an explanation, that that is my version. I'm female, and if I were to be involved with someone again, I'd take a ring and lose the wedding for that reason. However, a ring is not even necessary for me. You and I are saying the same thing, we're just saying it differently.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:30 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,330,003 times
My wife didn't care for an engagement ring or a wedding ring. It brought smiles to my face! I knew I married the right one! She values money above any jewelries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships