Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Men how more more visual creatures are they than women?
majorly! 33 55.93%
a reasonably amount 9 15.25%
a little 3 5.08%
its close 4 6.78%
they aren't! 10 16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corijei View Post
I agree that men are more vocal about it than women. But we're both just as visual as the other. That's like saying men cheat more or men want sex more. Men just talk about it more.

"Ain't like a man's initial interest in a woman is because the first thing he sees is her personality. It's her looks that first attracts him."

Exactly the same with women. Don't act like women have this supernatural ability to spot a personality before meeting the guy. A lot of women, A LOT will turn down a guy if he doesn't look good enough. Won't even get to the part where she know what he's like.
Sure, we do that, but it's not as important to us as it is for guys. A man will continue dating and yearning after a woman who he little in common with and little to talk about as long as shes gorgeous and he gets to look at that fine body. A woman will leave a guy hanging if he doesnt make her feel good.

Make a poll asking men would they prefer to have a romantic relationship with what they would consider a "9" who was nice but barely had anything in common with, or a "5" with great compatibility they could be best friends with. The "5" will remain the friend and they will ferociously pursue the "9" and feel way more motivated to get it. I know I've parted ways with handsome looking men because they were duds in the emotional and security department. They didn't make me feel loved. Guys will stay mentally miserable as long as he gets to keep that feeling he gets from seeing her. And really, how hard is it to be a nice person as a woman,not very. So the more attractive women always get the advantage.

Sure both genders are visual, but one noticeably more than the other, socially and neurologically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:14 AM

468 posts, read 483,319 times
Men are visual, this is true.
My BF loves to stare at my facial expression during sex, if that is not visual then I don't know what is, lol

Old 01-04-2015, 08:19 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Visual as far as what?

To be turned on sexually, I would say men are visual all the way.

Do women like to look at a hunk, heck yeah.
Emotion attachment more so for sex.
Bingo. AND some level of intellectual compatibility is also a must for many women to want to have sex with a guy. Sure, I can certainly admire a good-looking man. But if he has nothing intelligent to say? If he can't hold a conversation? Then, as I always say, he could have the chiseled features and body of a Greek god, but I will have zero interest at all in him, least of all to have sex.

Men, on the other hand will get turned on by any kind of woman, just so long as she's "hot." I will never be able to understand it.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:00 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Men, on the other hand will get turned on by any kind of woman, just so long as she's "hot." I will never be able to understand it.
Conversely, there are a lot of men who can't understand women that can fall in love with an unattractive guy. Chalk it up to the differences in the way we think.

And put me in the "men are more visual than women" camp.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:02 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Why is the relationships forum full of posts pitting men and women against each other?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:11 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
"Men are far more visual creatures than women"

I would sum it up by saying men are generally a little more visual, but theres not that massive difference some here make out. I base this on my time spent in the company of women.

Vote in the poll.
I think a lot of guys misunderstand what being "visual" means in this context. It is more about sexual arousal....men are stimulated visually. To masturbate, men usually go to sites or whatever where they can SEE women and sex, and that is arousing to them....women in the other hand do not do this. When we masturbate (yes, we do as much as guys) we are not turned on by images of sex the way men are. A woman would not get aroused staring at a close-up of a penis online. We close our eyes and use our imaginations, not visual images. That is really what's meant in saying men are more visual, and it is absolutely true. Poll your female friends and ask how may of them stare at pics of naked men when they masturbate, and the answer will be none of them. For women, arousal is between the ears not just through the eyes.

Many guys take the facts of this and twist them to believe it means women are not attracted to good looks in men or don't care what a man looks like. It has noting to do with that, we love and are attracted to a great-looking guy as much as men love and are attracted to a great-looking girl... HOWEVER....

IMO, both women and men use an unconscious criteria in some fashion or another...let's use a 10-point scale as an example since most of us are familiar with it. For men, women's looks are the majority of the scale. An "8" is an "8" because she looks like an 8. Women however have various things that can bring a guy up on the scale:

Man who looks like "6" can go up to an 8 through various and individual things: great personality, British accent, good job, being really funny or smart, having an "impressive" job like writer, being really charismatic, etc can all make a 6 an 8 for us. It does not mean we are okay with unattractive guys though, and if you're a 6 but also live at home and work at taco bell part time and are awkward socially, you have nothing to add to your "6" looks and won't be chosen by a girl who is an 8 herself.

Women however who are a "6" in looks have no other options to get an "8" guy, because looks are almost the entire scale.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:17 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
It all depends on who you ask. Ask a woman that most men do not see as attractive, and ask a woman that feels as if men are only interested in their looks, and you'll get the same answer. Usually the truth is somewhere in between; the women that are a 10, or those that everyone desires, really aren't that interesting and the women who feel that they are passed over for more beautiful women have other issues they don't like to talk about that push men away.

Long story short, beauty is both the symptom and the problem.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
hahaha, when you say that it means horny You're right though, I wouldn't date a girl I'm not attracted to.
You just proved OP's point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think all humans are visual, and women are no different from men.
You also contradicted yourself. Of course it depends on the person. I think looks are important to most people, but women tend to look at other factors: ie, the educational attainment of the person, his/her personality, their job, the way their s.o. treats others, etc in deciding whether to carry on a long term relationship with them.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Conversely, there are a lot of men who can't understand women that can fall in love with an unattractive guy. Chalk it up to the differences in the way we think.
Oh, I'm with you, there. I never said a man's looks aren't important; they sure are. But ALWAYS within context.

Hence the reason it's so difficult to find a man in OLD who I want to go out on a date with. Many aren't particularly attractive, and too many of the ones who are have profiles riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes, too many pictures of them showing off their great bodies (like, okay dude, I think we get it: you're in good shape) or other indications of shallow, self-absorbed tendencies. In either case (the guy's good-looking or not), I'll pass, thanks.

It's worth repeating that what makes a man desirable is the whole package. Not just THE "package" , but the entire package a man presents.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think a lot of guys misunderstand what being "visual" means in this context. It is more about sexual arousal....men are stimulated visually. To masturbate, men usually go to sites or whatever where they can SEE women and sex, and that is arousing to them....women in the other hand do not do this. When we masturbate (yes, we do as much as guys) we are not turned on by images of sex the way men are. A woman would not get aroused staring at a close-up of a penis online. We close our eyes and use our imaginations, not visual images. That is really what's meant in saying men are more visual, and it is absolutely true. Poll your female friends and ask how may of them stare at pics of naked men when they masturbate, and the answer will be none of them. For women, arousal is between the ears not just through the eyes.

Many guys take the facts of this and twist them to believe it means women are not attracted to good looks in men or don't care what a man looks like. It has noting to do with that, we love and are attracted to a great-looking guy as much as men love and are attracted to a great-looking girl... HOWEVER....

IMO, both women and men use an unconscious criteria in some fashion or another...let's use a 10-point scale as an example since most of us are familiar with it. For men, women's looks are the majority of the scale. An "8" is an "8" because she looks like an 8. Women however have various things that can bring a guy up on the scale:

Man who looks like "6" can go up to an 8 through various and individual things: great personality, British accent, good job, being really funny or smart, having an "impressive" job like writer, being really charismatic, etc can all make a 6 an 8 for us. It does not mean we are okay with unattractive guys though, and if you're a 6 but also live at home and work at taco bell part time and are awkward socially, you have nothing to add to your "6" looks and won't be chosen by a girl who is an 8 herself.

Women however who are a "6" in looks have no other options to get an "8" guy, because looks are almost the entire scale.
Great post. Nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships