Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:43 AM

468 posts, read 483,582 times

Advertisements

Long story short, Mr. UNROMANTIC S/O of mine is very keen on the idea of marriage. Him and his randomly throw out in my face the: "Baby, if you want, we can go apply for a marriage liscense tomorrow."
Seem like I'm gonna have to give him what he wants, getting our butts down to the courthouse for the cheap wedding registration.

Have anyone here have/had pre-nups before, or in a pre-nups, or know about the pre-nups laws. Please help this me with some questions I have. Thank you
Questions to those who have pre-nups (past/present)
Is a pre-nups neccessary if a married couple decided to have seperate checking/saving accounts? We pretty much like living together, and we don't have any problems with seperate bank accounts, we're fine with and agrees to keep it like this after marriage.

But I want to protect his 'saving' and retirement. If we end up in divorce, I want him to have 100% of his saving money that belong to him. And I have my saving money that belong to me from our own individual saving account. Fair for both

He also have a safety deposit box, God know what 'items' he put in there. But to be fair to the "things" in his deposite box, do I need to draft this in the pre-nups that it belong to him if we divorce?
Same to his saving, if we have seperate saving accounts, then his saving is his, mine is mine right? Or do I need to draft this in pre-nups too?

We putting in a house down-payment together in early of 2016, and I want the house to be under his name only. I will put in my share 50% of the house down-payment in cash to help him. And I will put in my fair share of 50% of mortgage payment each month to help him as long as we are together.

I don't need the house if we divorce, I'm happy walking out empty handed with just my working money. The money I help pay half of the monthly mortgage I just see it as an investment in his love.
Since the house is under his name only, do I still need to draft this in the pre-nups?
Or should we wait till after we get the house and our mortgage payments, then register for our marriage liscence?

How about little assets like cars? His big ass SUV van that he have before I came into the picture, which I am still wondering how can he comeup with money to buy it, lol
He claimed he save up money from his Truck Driving job to buy the big SUV, but yeah whatever.
Since the SUV is under his name when he bought it, even after divorce it should go to him right? Great, then I don't need to draft this in the pre-nups.

He agrees to have seperate checking/saving bank accounts. He is fine with the house under his name (he has been wanting to buy a house anyways)
I have not talk about want a pre-nups to him yet; before I bring up this topic up to him, I'm just looking for some advice on those who have experience with pre-nups before. Thank you

Just in case if anyone wonder how old we are, we not young anymore.
I'm 30, he is 29, we both are two Financial Independent adults with our own jobs, and we are saving up for a house down-payment.

And btw, I am not looking for life lecture on what me and my husband should do when it come to the Financial part in "our" marriage. I'm just looking for answer to the pre-nups questions I have above.
Different couples have different style when it come to marriage. I don't need people to tell me that I should have a joint bank accounts with my man. Me and him have decided to have seperate bank accounts, and this is how it gonna be for us.

Last edited by ishe; 01-30-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 05:12 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,430 times
good morning ishe!

thinking about prenups now...ehh

Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I thought you were both broke.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post

I don't need the house if we divorce, I'm happy walking out empty handed with just my working money. The money I help pay half of the monthly mortgage I just see it as an investment in his love.

Who is advising you in real life?

Old 01-30-2015, 05:52 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Yeah, you are young and you have no assets. No children to protect. Why in the world would a pre nup be needed.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-30-2015 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Off topic.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:58 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
You are very foolish indeed if you think walking away from a home you both bought is sensible.

Prenups are for people with substantial assets. I don't know why you're bothering about them when neither of you have much of anything. If you divorce you simply give him what is rightfully his and everything else, like the house, gets split 50/50.

Oh and his 'safety box' probably contains guns and his SUV was probably bought with drug money. But you still have your head in the sand about your thug gangsta boyfriend.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 AM

468 posts, read 483,582 times
Yes, Ms. "Wmsn4Life"
We're both broke, but he have his job, and I have my job. And we both have our saving for the past 10 years that we both out working.
I like to be humble, so I say I'm broke. Is there something wrong with being humble?

"hawaiiancoconut" and "Djuna",
I don't need life lecture on how I should handle "Financial" betwween me and my husband. Perhaps, you go worry about your own husband instead.
It is my money, and I am entittle to spend it how I want it. Just like I don't butt into your money, or how you handle money with your man.
Foolish or not is not up for you to decide, this is "MY" life NOT yours. Thank you

"Timberline742",
I didn't ask if I need a 'pre-nups' in my marraige or not. I ask for help to answer the questions I have about pre-nups. Thank you
Feel free to think what ever you want, like I need to justify to you about my job or my life.

I don't need anyone persmission on how I should handle 'money' in my marriage. I just want answers to the "PRE-NUPS" questions I have in my post.
Anyone here who are in the 'laws' force, or have sign 'pre-nups' before, or know abotu pre-nups laws?
Is there a 'Laws" section on this forum?

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
It doesn't sound like you have a good handle on the basics of how assets are divided in the event of divorce.

Things you bring into a marriage are not divisible. They are yours. So whatever cars you have, or savings, or whatever, really doesn't need to be a big worry at this point.

If you want to keep seperate accounts and such, then a prenup stipulating that the earnings on those accounts remain could be had. That said, if you are dead set against attempting to take anything anyway, I am not sure why you would push for a prenup.

If you buy a house after marriage together, then it is both of yours. Why walk away?

Really however, your post starts out sounding like your not that excited to be married anyway.

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
If you have your mind made up to walk away with nothing, you don't need a prenup. The prenup is if you want to protect yourself, which you don't. If you divorce, men in black suits do not show up at your door to take his safety box away from him.

If you want real legal advice, talk to a real lawyer, not an internet forum.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
Yes, Ms. "Wmsn4Life"
We're both broke, but he have his job, and I have my job. And we both have our saving for the past 10 years that we both out working.

You don't need a pre nup to keep this money. Not sure what you're asking here, or why. You weren't even proposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships