Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:43 PM

171 posts, read 194,825 times

Advertisements

She has a nice home and a lot of money and is dating a guy who has 30 arrests in 20 years. (property, damage, drugs, DUI's, burglary, driving on revoked licence) has a revoked license so she has to drive him around and pays for most things. He works but only occasional labor jobs. Drinks everynight. Also has a order of protection against him. We just can't figure out why she is with him. She said he is a good person. I feel he could be using her. I just don't think a good person would have that many arrests. Should we just let this play out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,429,859 times
Lucky him.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,470,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
She has a nice home and a lot of money and is saying a guy who has 30 arrests in 20 years. (property, damage, drugs, DUI's, burglary, driving on revoked licence) has a revoked license so she has to drive him around and pays for most things. He works but only occasional labor jobs. Drinks everynight. Also has a order of protection against him. We just can't figure out why she is with him. She said he is a good person. I feel he could be using her. I just don't think a good person would have that many arrest. Should we just let this play out?
Yep. She's an adult - you can't tell her what to do. Your opinion doesn't matter and it's not going to change her mind about him. All you're going to accomplish is putting a strain on your relationship with her.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM

24,770 posts, read 17,504,408 times
It is scary to be looking at this from the outside and expect the upcoming train wreck but it is possible that he could finally be rehabilitated but being in that much trouble in that short a time.. yikes!

If this guy has a temper and likes ot drink watch out it is only a matter of time before he goes off.

If your cousin truly has feelings for this guy I think it is going to be very difficult for anyone to point out his shortcomings without risking offending her. I think you are going to have to watch this one play out.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:51 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,932,608 times
Does she have a history of dating other dysfunctional guys?

Old 04-26-2016, 03:55 PM

171 posts, read 194,825 times
Not this dysfunctional. I don't think he is rehabilitating though. They get drunk together all the time pretty much and then he has treated her crappy a few times.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:57 PM

953 posts, read 848,141 times
Quote:
... She said he is a good person.
Well, he certainly has an impressive enough resume.

Quote:
I feel he could be using her. I just don't think a good person would have that many arrests. Should we just let this play out?
Imagine ... a con getting out of prison and finding another easy mark. What are the odds? People have to learn from their mistakes and there is not much anybody could say to make an appreciable difference.

Question: Just how lonely is your cousin? Since she has money, she should be seeing a professional to bolster the one trait that is terribly underdeveloped ... her self-esteem. She better be very cautious because this could end badly especially in the aftermath of a drinking binge.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,932,608 times
Quote:
Not this dysfunctional. I don't think he is rehabilitating though. They get drunk together all the time pretty much and then he has treated her crappy a few times.
So she does have a history of dating dysfunctional guys who don't treat her that well. If this is the case, this is just par for the course for her. This guy is just extra dysfunctional. These are just the kind of guys she needs to be with. You can't fix that. Probably comes from issues with having a jerk for a dad or a dad who wasn't there for her

Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM

706 posts, read 1,209,184 times
Quote:
She has a nice home and a lot of money and is dating a guy who has 30 arrests in 20 years. (property, damage, drugs, DUI's, burglary, driving on revoked licence) has a revoked license so she has to drive him around and pays for most things. He works but only occasional labor jobs. Drinks everynight. Also has a order of protection against him. We just can't figure out why she is with him. She said he is a good person. I feel he could be using her. I just don't think a good person would have that many arrests. Should we just let this play out?
Watch your wallet at the next BBQ!

Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,103,432 times
Quote:
What other (legal) options do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships