Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

416 posts, read 396,701 times

Advertisements

I've known this guy for YEARS now. I would say we are only acquaintances. He knows who I am and I know who he is. I've always been attracted to him but he seemed to always be in relationships and not healthy ones at that. But we always exchanged the "happy birthday" messages on Facebook, etc.

I've noticed lately that he is no longer in a relationship. I wanted to reach out to him to maybe ask to get a drink or something, but I didn't know how that would be perceived.

Guys - thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:26 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,870,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
I've known this guy for YEARS now. I would say we are only acquaintances. He knows who I am and I know who he is. I've always been attracted to him but he seemed to always be in relationships and not healthy ones at that. But we always exchanged the "happy birthday" messages on Facebook, etc.

I've noticed lately that he is no longer in a relationship. I wanted to reach out to him to maybe ask to get a drink or something, but I didn't know how that would be perceived.

Guys - thoughts?
Go for it. Worse than can happy is he says no.

I had a friend do what you did to me. While I respectfully turned her down, I let her know I very much appreciated her interest.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,673,384 times
I would start a conversation before you ask him to meet for drinks. Because you barely know each other, he might not be interested in meeting. Or he might be incredibly flattered and decide to meet with you. It also depends on whether he was attracted to you. Did you get that impression?

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,411,874 times
If you think it's desperate.....you're probably right! lol

Kidding, of course. Shoot him a message. I'm sure he'll be delighted to go for a drink.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM

416 posts, read 396,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I would start a conversation before you ask him to meet for drinks. Because you barely know each other, he might not be interested in meeting. Or he might be incredibly flattered and decide to meet with you. It also depends on whether he was attracted to you. Did you get that impression?
Neither one of us have given the impression that we were attracted to each other. I've always seen him with girlfriends. We haven't done much other than follow each other on Instagram or say "Happy birthday" on Facebook". I've just never been the type to step on anyone's toes when they are in a relationship

Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,935,398 times
I'd probably try some small talk before asking him out. He might actually be a little broke up about his relationship ending. He might need time before getting back out there.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:39 PM

324 posts, read 429,182 times
You could always just message him something along the lines of how are you, etc. Think of something, and then see where the conversation goes.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM

248 posts, read 260,430 times
I'd say go for it. Personally I'd most likely be flattered by a girl asking me to get a drink. Especially if she's cute

Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,673,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
Neither one of us have given the impression that we were attracted to each other. I've always seen him with girlfriends. We haven't done much other than follow each other on Instagram or say "Happy birthday" on Facebook". I've just never been the type to step on anyone's toes when they are in a relationship
I don't think the issue here is that he was previously unavailable. The issue is that you two barely know each other. A lot of people have so many friends on Facebook that they probably wouldn't recognize some of themif they ran into them in the real world. Start a conversation with him and hopefully he remembers you. Just because you're his Facebook friend doesn't mean he'll remember you all that well. And if that's the case, he probably won't want to meet. Why is this person I barely know who I occasionally hear from on Facebook suddenly wanting to meet for a drink? Switch the genders and you'll start to see why it might creep some guys out.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,986,271 times
If he has been in bad relationships consider his choice of women. You may like him but if you date make sure you get to know him. The issues for the past breakups just may be him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships