U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM

10,806 posts, read 10,170,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
This may just be the beginning of the end of your marriage! He will force you to make more and more changes to comply with his religion and you will have to decide how far you are willing to go. You may try counselling, but it sounds like he is all about himself and his religion.
That's what I was thinking too. . I would talk to a counsellor immediately, not wait until he's too far gone. I hate to say it but please take steps to protect yourself so you don't find yourself at a disadvantage down the road.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,151,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
I'm not getting a choice really. I was told he no longer wants a tree. He's reading the bible and these correspondence books. I really am at a loss.
I'd still put up decorations and tell him to ignore if it bothers him. Don't bend to him.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM

48,224 posts, read 69,175,104 times
Don't you have any say so in your house? or are you just a "live in housekeeper"?

It seems to me that the change in religion and his demands is just a beginning. You husband obviously does not know that in a marriage there are no demands, just compromises. If he starts to demand such things, and it has to be his way - to me this marriage is going down the drain. I am afraid there will be more to come...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM

8,780 posts, read 8,427,622 times
Tell him if you are to resepct his belifs he is to respect yours as well.
If he doesn't get it their isn't much you can do but "disrespect" him back if you are to remain happy as well.

You guys sound like you're about to hit a major road bump...
Think about talking to a counsoler to help you both understand where your realtionship may be headed.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 AM

894 posts, read 948,250 times
The fact that he's making these Draconian decisions without your input or care for your opinion really concerns me. What is his new religion? Everyone has given you great advice. I think you need to seek the advice of a counselor before things start to really go off the rails.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM

13,524 posts, read 19,825,351 times
I've been in a similar situation, OP, and it ended in divorce.
It's not just Easter and Xmas ... no birthday celebrations neither ... and endless hours of Bible study and Jehovah's Witness conferences/conventions and people visiting to try and convert you.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 PM

19,409 posts, read 21,636,953 times
Quote:
He doesn't want the tree or decorations in the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
Is it your house too?
Since, it is your house, too, you have the right to decorate and celebrate as you decide.

If he expects you to respect his religion, he needs to respect your religion, as well.

Unfortunately, I suspect that this is just the beginning for many, many outrageous demands.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:08 PM

21,188 posts, read 23,220,212 times
If he really is becoming uber religious - it probably doesn't matter what the OP wants since she is the wife and she is supposed to obey her husband. I have to say, my husband becoming a religious nut is probably one of the few things that I could see leading to a divorce for us.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:16 AM

218 posts, read 1,387,790 times
Did a little questioning, found out he is studying Herbert w armstrong . (Of which I will ask more questions on the religion thread). From what I read of him, he is a self proclaimed profit who can unlock the passages of the bible.
I appreciate all the input. Don't like feeling I'm wrong for feeling the way I do.
Now the object is to get my husband to read up on the man himself whom he chooses to possible throw his family away for.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,625,020 times
Quote:
From what I read of him, he is a self proclaimed profit.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships