Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
Opinions wanted.
My husband threw a biggie on me last night. He no longer wants to celebrate Christmas or Easter due to his new religious beliefs.
No tree no decoration in house.
We've been together more then 13 years and have always had similar beliefs. We have a 9 year old and have always celebrated these holidays.
What would you do?
Here's the deal. It may be what he believes, but it isn't what you believe. He's the one who has pulled a switcheroo and it's completely unfair of him to expect your docile compliance.

What's more, this is just the beginning. If he gets his way on this, he'll expect to get his way on other things related to whatever loopy fringe beliefs he now holds. So a little backbone now can save you a lot of misery later on.

So if these are his beliefs, fine. But he cannot force you to believe the same things he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM

564 posts, read 747,165 times
Sounds like a nutto, and things aren't going to get any better in the future, most likely they'll get much worse. I'd say bye bye to someone like that but I suppose it's more complicated when you're married, I feel for you OP, that sucks.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Word! hahaha

Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Opinions wanted.
My husband threw a biggie on me last night. He no longer wants to celebrate Christmas or Easter due to his new religious beliefs.
No tree no decoration in house.
We've been together more then 13 years and have always had similar beliefs. We have a 9 year old and have always celebrated these holidays.
What would you do?
You kinda have to go back to that whole "honor and obey" thing during your wedding. There's your answer right there.

As for the 9 year old, you and your husband will have to decide on if you (him) will be teaching your religious beliefs/doctrine to him as well. If yes, then no christmas or easter for mr. 9 year old (just like millions of other kids in the world), if not, maybe you guys can come to an agreement that while not officially celebrating chirstmas, you can at least agree to get him "gifts" during this time of year so he doesnt feel left out from the other kids at school who may be celebrating.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:41 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You kinda have to go back to that whole "honor and obey" thing during your wedding. There's your answer right there.
Do you tell your wife what she can and can't do? Do you act like a dictator?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:

As for the 9 year old, you and your husband will have to decide on if you (him) will be teaching your religious beliefs/doctrine to him as well. If yes, then no christmas or easter for mr. 9 year old (just like millions of other kids in the world), if not, maybe you guys can come to an agreement that while not officially celebrating chirstmas, you can at least agree to get him "gifts" during this time of year so he doesnt feel left out from the other kids at school who may be celebrating.
Most churches don't do obey anymore. As for honor most churches do it to both people.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

Number of weddings I've been to that had "obey" in the vows in my 43 years of life = 0 (well, since I can remember as a teen anyway)

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
I don't understand this either. To me, it's a cop-out. If he is so miserable in life, the easiest way to separate himself from other people or traditions is just to say so, instead of using a religion to get his way? He might honestly be believing that he some kind of prophet, to not go through some type of steps to get to where he is more honest with himself?

Converting would be like turning a switch on the stove. Emotions and honesty are much harder.

Yeah, I think I'll be Kim Kardashian today and destroy my closet, for an excuse to get new clothes.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
I'm not getting a choice really. I was told he no longer wants a tree. He's reading the bible and these correspondence books. I really am at a loss.
You indeed do have a choice here. He is no longer the man you married. This would be a dealbreaker for me.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You indeed do have a choice here. He is no longer the man you married. This would be a dealbreaker for me.

People aren't static being once they get into a relationship. People do change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships