Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 PM

128 posts, read 203,109 times

Advertisements

If it's really important to you that a woman have high status, you probably should concentrate on building your own status only because it tends to feel more natural and work out better when men date down: the senior dates the freshman, the lawyer dates his secretary, the doctor dates the nurse, the pilot dates the airline attendant, the boss dates his employee, the 30-year-old dates the 20-year-old, the American dates the third worlder, etc.

I thought the OP was interested in dating attractive women, not high-status women. Like I tried to explain before, the hottest women are not famous or high in status. The next time you obsess over a Lakers cheerleader, movie actress, or some 6'2 90 lb supermodel, take a trip to Laguna Beach and tell me how special you still think she is. Some guys want to be able to say they're dating a famous girl, regardless of her looks, whereas I'd rather date a smokeshow regardless of what she does for a living.

It's far more valuable to work on your game than trying to impress girls with money/status like it's some magic pill. Watch “The Millionaire Matchmaker” to see how a dork with money and status can't keep a girl's interest. Every girl who attends the show's casting call is by definition a gold-digger. They tend to be attractive, but not uniquely so by LA/OC standards. They all show up with big smiles competing for the attention of the millionaire, for whom the entire show revolves around. These women have every incentive to fake interest and extract as much of this guy's money as possible and flaunt his status when they're out on the town. By the end of the first date, however, the women find that they can't stand the lame guys who make up the majority of the millionaires on the show. The guys who actually do well are the ones who would have done well with women even if they were broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:43 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postgradstressedman View Post
The sexually attractive girls almost exclusively go for frat boys and jocks. While the cute arts major with the nice hipster glasses might be more open minded, the blonde bombshell in a sorority is going to exclusively go for the football player or the sigma chi in the fraternity. By exclusively I mean you could be a doctor with a six figure salary, good looks, and charm and she will still pass you up for the fraternity president.
If you start slinging llello you'll also have your pick of blonde bombshells.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
If it's really important to you that a woman have high status, you probably should concentrate on building your own status only because it tends to feel more natural and work out better when men date down: the senior dates the freshman, the lawyer dates his secretary, the doctor dates the nurse, the pilot dates the airline attendant, the boss dates his employee, the 30-year-old dates the 20-year-old, the American dates the third worlder, etc.

I thought the OP was interested in dating attractive women, not high-status women. Like I tried to explain before, the hottest women are not famous or high in status. The next time you obsess over a Lakers cheerleader, movie actress, or some 6'2 90 lb supermodel, take a trip to Laguna Beach and tell me how special you still think she is. Some guys want to be able to say they're dating a famous girl, regardless of her looks, whereas I'd rather date a smokeshow regardless of what she does for a living.

It's far more valuable to work on your game than trying to impress girls with money/status like it's some magic pill. Watch “The Millionaire Matchmaker” to see how a dork with money and status can't keep a girl's interest. Every girl who attends the show's casting call is by definition a gold-digger. They tend to be attractive, but not uniquely so by LA/OC standards. They all show up with big smiles competing for the attention of the millionaire, for whom the entire show revolves around. These women have every incentive to fake interest and extract as much of this guy's money as possible and flaunt his status when they're out on the town. By the end of the first date, however, the women find that they can't stand the lame guys who make up the majority of the millionaires on the show. The guys who actually do well are the ones who would have done well with women even if they were broke.
This is the truth, yet it's a truth SO many guys don't want to hear.

Money alone doesn't do anything except get you gold diggers, and if you are a unattractive person most of them won't even stick around. You'll be left with the truly despicable gold diggers, and no one wants them.

Besides, how is a woman supposed to know you are rich? Any guy can lease a german luxury car and have some nice clothes and a nice apartment... they will be in debt up to their eyeballs, but the woman doesn't know that. So many guys do this, it's sad. Meanwhile the average appearing dude has 300k-500k in the bank and has never been in debt in his life.

Being rich in the dating game is like having a big schlong. The woman won't know about it until she's already with you, so it's not going to help you get her.

Comes down to this simple rule: If you are a attractive person (not just in physical looks), you will have no trouble finding a good looking woman to be with. If you are a unattractive person....good luck.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
..., the lawyer dates his secretary, the doctor dates the nurse, the pilot dates the airline attendant, the boss dates his employee, the 30-year-old dates the 20-year-old, the American dates the third worlder, etc.

It's far more valuable to work on your game than trying to impress girls with money/status like it's some magic pill. Watch “The Millionaire Matchmaker” to see how a dork with money and status can't keep a girl's interest. .... The guys who actually do well are the ones who would have done well with women even if they were broke.
The above succinctly encapsulates about 1000 of my posts – nicely done! To continue the theme, I offer this:

In a "static" society, people date, mate and marry along quantifiable socioeconomic lines. We can argue about whether modern America offers upward mobility or not, about whether a young go-getter can legitimately rise or not. But whether from accident of birth or personal initiative, people found themselves in strata. They sought and found mates within those strata. The exception was men who dated "down", and women who dated "up", the former trading on their money, the latter on their physical beauty.

In a "dynamic" society, none of this matters. Personality, poise and social-skills matter. People date, mate and marry according to sentiments and shared interests, rather than according to promptings by parents or imperatives of caste. This is both an opportunity and a threat. It's an opportunity for people who haven't had the good fortune or the skill to excel professionally; they're no longer shunted aside. It's a threat to people who do excel in their careers and finances and so forth, but who are not sociable or who have abrasive personalities.

In a static society, the traditional definition of "status" matters. In a dynamic society, it doesn't.

Let me speak even more bluntly. In a static society, parents try to marry off their daughters to the highest "status" eligible bachelor. Whether he's a nice guy or a good lover is irrelevant. In a dynamic society - well, things are different.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,549 times
I really believe this is a myth. I met my gf years after college.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postgradstressedman View Post
do you think a guy who goes to a school like say the University of Florida and graduates will ever have a point in his life where he is surrounded by a lot of single and good looking females again?

assuming he sticks to the USA.
Where were they? I was doodling around the hospital and health professions building area and they sure weren't around there when I was on campus before Thanksgiving to take my final exam!

IIRC, you have bigger issues as a grad student there. Like living on about $13,000 a year, paying the school so you can teach and finding a woman who will take on that struggle with you.

Then again, you learn to make due. I never went to a school with a great social life. Community college was nothing but single mothers and less than sterling talent, upper grad was nothing worth dealing with, either. You find a way to be personable enough to make your own social circles no matter where you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships