Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
I have mixed feelings on the women's lib thing, but too long to get into here. But you are correct about kids with two parents who prioritize their welfare above everything else, which is the way it should be at least in the Christian world. Marriage isn't about sexual infatuation and great sex. Its about friendship, partnership and creating a strong family unit. The things Christianity teaches (and I'm no holy roller) are to be selective with who you share body fluids with in order to facilitate a strong emotional bond which, in turn, creates the strong family unit.

People in the 1960's thought all that stuff was stupid and look what we have today: We have a fairly robust upper middle class that generally follows those traditional ways and prospers. But the lower you are on the educational or economic scale the more likely it is that you bought into all this shyt that the leftists were shoveling and we have a lot of messed up lives these days as a result.
The one thing the feminists get wrong (and I am a feminist)is including unwed parenthood as a feminist issue. It's not, it's a moral issue. The idea was that women could have career and decide whether they wanted kids or not, not that they could have kids without a father and then ask the rest of us to provide assistance, whether it's welfare or child support. I wish we had a society without people sleeping around because now we have people having sex way too early and that causes issues.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
I agree with you, WheresTheBeef. And I was raised in the 60s by a single mother on welfare. It wasnt that much fun, let me tell you. I am a feminist too, of course.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I wouldn't give it any thought at all if these men had ignored me and people hadn't judged me for not dating single dads. However because I don't date dads I have been called all kinds of names.
You repeatedly called them lowlife scumbags and other rude things. That's what cheesed people off.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You repeatedly called them lowlife scumbags and other rude things. That's what cheesed people off.
Men with multiple baby mamas are lowlife scumbags. The others I called names because they wouldn't take no for an answer. I don't hate dads that don't bother me, I know plenty of them. However the ones who harass me are scum.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:12 PM

366 posts, read 410,889 times
Quote:
The one thing the feminists get wrong (and I am a feminist)is including unwed parenthood as a feminist issue. It's not, it's a moral issue. The idea was that women could have career and decide whether they wanted kids or not, not that they could have kids without a father and then ask the rest of us to provide assistance, whether it's welfare or child support. I wish we had a society without people sleeping around because now we have people having sex way too early and that causes issues.
You don't think fathers should have to pay child support?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 PM

13,649 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
We have a fairly robust upper middle class that generally follows those traditional ways and prospers.
This is quite true, and very ironic. In modern America, the people with the most sophisticated education tend to lead the most conservative lives.

But there's a noxious and unfortunate flip side. Those members of the upper/upper-middle classes who do divorce, find themselves in a marginalized minority amongst their peers. Because nearly all of their peers remain married, the "dating pool" is very limited.

Quote:
I wish we had a society without people sleeping around because now we have people having sex way too early and that causes issues.
Such transformation is unfortunately impossible - and NOT because of putative decline of "moral values". Rather, in our dim dark past, there was an implicit reward for "not sleeping around" in our teens and early 20s. That reward was a good marriage, stable for life. Focus on getting good grades at 17, on writing a good dissertation at 24, on advancing your career - and marriage was essentially forthcoming, with or without "social skills", with or without "putting oneself out there". Today there are fewer guarantees, and therefore there's less reason to be responsible in one's youth.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
You don't think fathers should have to pay child support?
They should, but I don't believe the stepparents should have to pay. I also don't believe the child support should be increased if the new spouse makes more money.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Rates of physical and sexual abuse are at epidemic levels. That is what happens when you stick people under the same roof who are not related by blood!!!
Blood relatives molest kids, too.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Such transformation is unfortunately impossible - and NOT because of putative decline of "moral values". Rather, in our dim dark past, there was an implicit reward for "not sleeping around" in our teens and early 20s. That reward was a good marriage, stable for life. Focus on getting good grades at 17, on writing a good dissertation at 24, on advancing your career - and marriage was essentially forthcoming, with or without "social skills", with or without "putting oneself out there". Today there are fewer guarantees, and therefore there's less reason to be responsible in one's youth.
I do like that people generally marry later (or if not at all)because of education but studies show the people having kids younger are not the most educated and tend to be unwed, which is a scary situation.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
No, it's because I don't want to slave my ass off at work to support someone else's kids. I don't want their stink around me, their germs. I don't want their whiny bad attitudes. I don't want to pay the extra money for Tide, bleach, water and groceries. I don't want them tying up my telephone lines. I don't want to get stuck for their medical expenses. I don't want to get stuck turning the air conditioner up (and paying extra electricity) because a kid who I am not related to is uncomfortable. I don't want them wrecking my car. I don't want to have to pay for their cell phones. I don't want to get stuck with their tuition, soccer fees, cost of uniforms and school supplies! I don't want to be the cuckholded "parent" who isn't allowed to yell at someone else's kids (even though I get stuck with all their bills).

In other words, I do those kinds of things for my BLOOD (or adopted) children and I will do it for them for their entire lives, not just until they reach 18. I'm not some chump who is going to get stuck paying for someone else's kids!!!
You sound really charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships