Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:53 AM

398 posts, read 746,997 times

Advertisements

Anyone feel this way?
I recently got out of a very nasty 3 year relationship.. our relationship was soo complicated, I knew he wasn't the one deep down and I was never truly happy but I cared too much and hung on to him.
Now after the break-up, I am constantly evaluating myself and comparing myself to others the same age. All my friends are coupled down, I'm like always the 3rd, 5th, 7th wheel!

When I was younger, I always hoped that I would be married by 26, kids maybe 28-29. Umm yeah, that's not happening.

I feel like the clock is ticking (lol) and I know I'm only 25 but at the same time, time is running out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 03:05 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Anyone feel this way?
I recently got out of a very nasty 3 year relationship.. our relationship was soo complicated, I knew he wasn't the one deep down and I was never truly happy but I cared too much and hung on to him.
Now after the break-up, I am constantly evaluating myself and comparing myself to others the same age. All my friends are coupled down, I'm like always the 3rd, 5th, 7th wheel!

When I was younger, I always hoped that I would be married by 26, kids maybe 28-29. Umm yeah, that's not happening.

I feel like the clock is ticking (lol) and I know I'm only 25 but at the same time, time is running out
um, yeah

my ADVICE (i'm a guy) to you and every young woman out here is to STOP worrying about / trying to keep up with your *friends*

there was no reason for your 3 yr 'nasty' relationship to be soooo complicated as you say...

you dont have to be 'coupled down' just for the sake of being 'coupled down' nothing good will come out of it but a post here on c-d

cheers!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
I could smack John Mayer for inventing that phrase.

But anyway ...

K.uni, trust me on this. The ONLY way you will be happy is to STOP comparing yourself to other people. I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but Ace is right.

There's a saying ... Comparison is the thief of joy.

THE ONLY THING YOU CAN CONTROL is your life and whether you are happy. No one else can make you happy, and just being in a relationship, even a good one, can't make you happy.

Work on YOU and your quality of life, and the rest will happen as it should.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:25 AM

245 posts, read 219,565 times
Who cares what your friends are doing, do your own thing and by happy. They will all be divorced by the time they are 35 anyway probably

Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times
You'd be better served by having some goals around education, career, and savings than a relationship.

I guess we haven't come all that far with women in the 1950's getting married out of high school, women in the '80's getting married after college graduation...wooooo - we're all the way up to 25 before being an old maid! You have a lot of life to live and a lot of it will not be related to a guy.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,830 times
Quote:
Anyone feel this way?

Honey , you have plenty of time for kids
You need some other friend hang out with.
How is your career?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM

103 posts, read 100,758 times
Quote:
Anyone feel this way?

Oh honey, don't have a nervous breakdown distemperately You're still young tomorrow is another day

Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 AM

398 posts, read 746,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Honey , you have plenty of time for kids
You need some other friend hang out with.
How is your career?
My career is actually very good. Everything else in life is good, only thing I would say "missing" is the relationship aspect. Just a little bit lonely at times when everyone is in relationships.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Just a little bit lonely at times when everyone is in relationships.
Not everyone. Maybe everyone you know.

Try activities where you meet new people.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,738,013 times
I've noticed that people who say "I want X, by age X...." tend to put a lot more pressure on themselves than they should, especially about something you can't really control. It's better to be single than to be in a relationship not right for you and better to get married at 34 to the right person than at 26 to the wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships