Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:24 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times

Advertisements

trmaoy: Well, good for you! I would do the same thing as to cutting off contact. I am also in agreement that I feel "a problem with me. Rationally, I know this isn't true but I feel it anyway. Then the anger replaces that. This is where I am today. How dare someone take my genuineness and kindness and try to play me for a fool." I have come to the conclusion that who needs that kind of "friend" in their lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Hi

I've had similar problems before but I hold ALL my friends responsible for their selfish behavior. Sometimes you have to be pushy and direct if you want anything done, othertimes you have to let go and realize that the friendship has terminated on its own.

I've been to some newcomer groups and sometimes the people there arn't the best. Just because it says newcomer group welcome all! Doesn't mean its true or that you are going to get along well.

Also somebody posted that guys are the most flakey. I've known a lot of guys who are flakes.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:12 AM

7 posts, read 49,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
give as I am able - expect nothing in return
remember those who helps me who owed me nothing
i think you hit the nail right on the head, however it isn't always easy to stick to this perspective. we get caught up to often in what we want, what we think we should be gettting...we are all guilty of being selfish and selfcentered...

Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingMissKim View Post
i think you hit the nail right on the head, however it isn't always easy to stick to this perspective. we get caught up to often in what we want, what we think we should be gettting...we are all guilty of being selfish and selfcentered...
If both people are completely happy with that sort of friendship, then it's fine. But usually, it's the person who is giving more that starts to feel used and is resentful about the situation. And in that case, either talk it out or cut that taker out of your life. A taker is a parasite that will keep taking forever. If the relationship or friendship is too unbalanced, then it becomes toxic to the giver.

There is a book called Matchlines by Dr. Molly Barrow and her feeling is that for the best and happiest relationships and friendships, one should seek the company of those who have a similar love and giving capacity in their personality profile. And that makes sense to me.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingMissKim View Post
What I want is a friendship...so I meet someone, we get along, I get her number, I call her, it's cool, we meet. Then 2 weeks go by, again I call her, we meet, it's cool...still another 2 weeks pass and she does not call me. So because I am "caught up to often in what (I) want" I am being the selfish one by continuing to call her???? It amazes me how things get turned around. I do not see how I am the one being selfish by me making the effort and always doing the calling and the setting of venues, etc.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
What I want is a friendship...so I meet someone, we get along, I get her number, I call her, it's cool, we meet. Then 2 weeks go by, again I call her, we meet, it's cool...still another 2 weeks pass and she does not call me. So because I am "caught up to often in what (I) want" I am being the selfish one by continuing to call her???? It amazes me how things get turned around. I do not see how I am the one being selfish by me making the effort and always doing the calling and the setting of venues, etc.
What sort of activities were you doing with her when you did get together with her?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What sort of activities were you doing with her when you did get together with her?
we do things with our children during the day...while the kids play, we watch them and chit chat.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM
miu

How old are your kids? How well do they get along?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:43 PM

we each have 2 that are all in 2-5 age ranges. the kids get along very well.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
we each have 2 that are all in 2-5 age ranges. the kids get along very well.
One thought is that you are a better multitasker than she is. Two children in that age group is a lot of work and attention. She may not be as good as you in scheduling ahead to make plans with friends on top of her childcare and household duties. And she may not be as hungry as you are for adult company during her day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships