Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM

783 posts, read 849,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I tend to do better with speed dating than online.

I am currently blogging my latest experience with OLD, specifically, Ok Cupid. Day 1: Profile was viewed 30 times. Day 2: 11 views. Day 3: 8 views. Day 4 (today): 4 views so far.

Number of messages I have received from someone who meets the basic criteria of living near me AND is between the ages of 35-48? One - and it has the hallmarks of being a bot/fake profile. Number of messages I have received total: 11. Number of those 11 messages that came with a warning to avoid internet scams: 5. Number of non-scam warning messages that say something other than "hi?" None.

Number of men I have sent messages to: 14. Number of men who have responded to my message? 1.

So, yep, I'm just drowning in male attention.
Not trying to sound mean but the age of a woman has a pretty big impact on how much attention she gets. My experience is women don't seem to start trying until 35+, maybe because from 18-34 they don't have to try that hard if they are reasonably good looking.

Best analogy I can think of to explain the differences between male and female dating is this.

At 18 when we become legal adults females are handed 10,000 in virtual dating currency. Males start with 0. As each year passes females start losing their virtual currency after age 23, males continue gaining currency until about 35 before it starts to go down.

Females are attracted to confidence, status, and success in males. Those things come with time, experience, and age; something that 18 year old males have none of. Males are attracted to youth and beauty something that females start with and then lose over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Not trying to sound mean but the age of a woman has a pretty big impact on how much attention she gets. My experience is women don't seem to start trying until 35+, maybe because from 18-34 they don't have to try that hard if they are reasonably good looking.

Best analogy I can think of to explain the differences between male and female dating is this.

At 18 when we become legal adults females are handed 10,000 in virtual dating currency. Males start with 0. As each year passes females start losing their virtual currency after age 23, males continue gaining currency until about 35 before it starts to go down.

Females are attracted to confidence, status, and success in males. Those things come with time, experience, and age; something that 18 year old males have none of. Males are attracted to youth and beauty something that females start with and then lose over time.

You really need to get off the bro dude blogs. Seriously.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Not trying to sound mean but the age of a woman has a pretty big impact on how much attention she gets.
When I was starting to think about dating again, I figured my biggest hurdle would be being widowed. Who in their 30's and 40's wants to be reminded of their own mortality? But I had male friends tell me that being widowed was not as big of an issue as being over 35 was. (I was 34 when he died; 41 now).

But you support my original point which was contrary to what the OP and most men (especially on this site) believe, not all women who put up a profile with a halfway decent picture are flooded with hundreds of messages every day.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:08 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
When I was starting to think about dating again, I figured my biggest hurdle would be being widowed. Who in their 30's and 40's wants to be reminded of their own mortality? But I had male friends tell me that being widowed was not as big of an issue as being over 35 was. (I was 34 when he died; 41 now).
That may be true on OLD, but I don't see that in real life.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 PM

783 posts, read 849,944 times
Quote:

But you support my original point which was contrary to what the OP and most men (especially on this site) believe, not all women who put up a profile with a halfway decent picture are flooded with hundreds of messages every day.
You can tell if you have good friends if they tell you the truth even if its not a truth you may want to hear. On this site I give my opinion from a male POV and sometimes people don't like it, but I figure hearing an honest truth (even an opinion) is better then a sugar coated half truth; that's what forums like this are for. Your male friends are correct IMO. For me personally it doesn't matter much if a woman is divorced, never married, or a widow. Just like a woman's height means next to nothing. It is all height/weight proportion.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,742 times
Quote:

Horrible. Sad. Lopsided. And dead-on accurate

Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Horrible. Sad. Lopsided. And dead-on accurate
And yet most people pair up with someone close to their own age. It's not as if most couples are made up of women in their 20's and men in their 40's.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:24 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
From what I've seen, if the woman ttis even relatively attractive, she could easily go online and literally just choose the exact attributes that she wants and get a man with those attributes.

I've seen women that claimed that they couldn't find anyone go on OLD for a few days and come away with a boyfriend that is exactly their type (both looks and personality). It's as if they created him at home with their chemistry set or something.

I've never once seen this happen for a man of any age, no matter how good-looking or how rich the man is.
Not true. I tried on and off for years and didn't find men I wanted who wanted me. I'm not unattractive either.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvincline47 View Post
From what I've seen, if the woman is even relatively attractive, she could easily go online and literally just choose the exact attributes that she wants and get a man with those attributes.

I've seen women that claimed that they couldn't find anyone go on OLD for a few days and come away with a boyfriend that is exactly their type (both looks and personality). It's as if they created him at home with their chemistry set or something.
I just posted in another thread my dismal results from week #1 of being back on Ok Cupid.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 AM

750 posts, read 644,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I just don't think OLD is as great for women as the OP thinks it is. Lots of women have never used it and have no desire to start. For those of us who do use it, it's not exactly an endless showering of attention from men. It's full of liars, flakes, and people who you just aren't interested in.
Oh please. That is just some cope out women use. Sure there are bad apples, just like in real life, but there are also plenty of normal genuine guys looking for relationship.

OLD for women is just absurd. Its like getting to browse an endless catalog of men and pick which ever one you choose to go on a date with.

The only way for men to replicate that is as an under 40 year old Westerner in the Philippines on a dating site. Granted he will still have to message many girls but they are a given to reply and meet for a date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships