Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,436,628 times

Advertisements

Once you get to the movie, you should tell him that since you invited him, you want to pay. But if wants to get the popcorn and soda, that would be okay. But you should be prepared to pay for everything.

When I was dating, if my date insisted on getting the meal, I'd ask if he minded if I paid the tip. Rarely did he say no. That works well with friends, too.

That way you signal to the guy that you're not the sort who expects him to pay for everything.

As dating with my husband progressed, I'd often tell him I wanted to buy our meal or movie ticket. He always picked up the lion's share of our overall expenditures, but I contributed whenever I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:41 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I've gone on first dates like anyone else, some where the guy paid a good portion of the time while others they didn't pay or we went half and half.

Its been a month since I've been on a date so I am wondering tomorrow is a movie, walk around, and dinner, should I pay for 1 of these or just wait and see if this guy pays for everything or what to do?

What is the proper and right thing to do in today's world?
My first dates usually include one activity and my portion of the expenses are usually under $20. In that case, my preference is that he offers to pay. If we were doing multiple or expensive activities at his suggestion (because I wouldn't suggest that), I'd still prefer that he offer to pay. lol

Having said that, I do routinely offer and follow through with contributing to date expenses.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 AM

366 posts, read 410,680 times
I had one date where we went for a walk. It was nice. We stopped at a shop for a $1.50 coffee and he ordered his first, which was fine, and paid for his, which was also fine, but as I was ordering mine he started talking about his mother always said not to pay for anything for a girl and it'll weed out the gold diggers and I found that very off putting. I bought my own, had zero problem with it, but his little speech meant no second date. So if you're not going to pay for the other person, they'll probably be ok with it but don't make it weird by going on and on about it.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
I had one date where we went for a walk. It was nice. We stopped at a shop for a $1.50 coffee and he ordered his first, which was fine, and paid for his, which was also fine, but as I was ordering mine he started talking about his mother always said not to pay for anything for a girl and it'll weed out the gold diggers and I found that very off putting. I bought my own, had zero problem with it, but his little speech meant no second date. So if you're not going to pay for the other person, they'll probably be ok with it but don't make it weird by going on and on about it.
Yeah, his mother must want him to stay single. lol

Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,968,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
Bring enough money to cover you both. If you invited him out, you should pay or go Dutch, but if he insists on paying let him.
This sounds right about right. At least fake it by reaching for your purse if you are the woman that invited. Pray to the fly in the soup bowl that he tells you that he has the tab... But obviously as the above poster said, bring enough.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
My policy is to always offer no matter who invited who or how the date is going. The tab comes and I reach for my wallet and offer to split the check. I've been on a lot of first dates and I've never had the guy accept my offer to split the check, but I'm sure most of them appreciate the offer. I think it's rude for either party to sit there and assume the other person is going to pay for them.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:04 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
My policy is to always offer no matter who invited who or how the date is going. The tab comes and I reach for my wallet and offer to split the check. I've been on a lot of first dates and I've never had the guy accept my offer to split the check, but I'm sure most of them appreciate the offer. I think it's rude for either party to sit there and assume the other person is going to pay for them.

Yeah, it is just nice for them to make the offer. It means a lot. I almost always (unless it has been absolutely horrendous, and then they rarely offer) pay the entire thing.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Sometimes it happens so fast though. The waiter hands the bill to the guy and he immediately puts in his credit card and gives it back to the waiter. I feel like it'd be weird for me to interrupt and be like, "Wait, let me pay my half!"

Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Sometimes it happens so fast though. The waiter hands the bill to the guy and he immediately puts in his credit card and gives it back to the waiter. I feel like it'd be weird for me to interrupt and be like, "Wait, let me pay my half!"
I've had that happen before. If the guy is that ready with his credit card, then obviously he wasn't going to accept you paying anyway. I just thank them and tell them I really appreciate the drinks/dinner/coffee whatever it was.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 PM

356 posts, read 365,216 times
If I ask a girl out I pay...If a girl asks me out I still pay. Well that's just me I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships