Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Aha, so by the same token, it's ok to let your gf get raped in front of you because otherwise you might end up on the news.

You know, I can respect someone who is a coward and acknowledges it, but I cannot extend the feeling to a coward that is trying to justify his cowardice by any means, especially the "what ifs".
Are you the one who determines who is or isn't a coward? Opinions are like you know what -- everyone has them. But throwing around the 'coward' label as if it's some black/white, clear-cut definition that applies to any guy who doesn't fight seems a little harsh and short-sighted. And since you brought up evolution in a previous post, remember this about human evolution: running away from or backing down from danger or a threat is part of the reason we humans lived long enough to evolve as a species; that whole fight-or-flight thing came in handy. If humans were less 'cowardly' and instead operated solely in fight mode, we would have died out long ago.
Just some food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 02:44 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
snowandmoresnow - just because you are outside the mainstream ideal doesn't mean that you can't find love. It will just take more patience on your part. After all, you don't need to be attractive to 99.9% of womankind, you only need to be attractive to one. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM

15 posts, read 14,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
snowandmoresnow - just because you are outside the mainstream ideal doesn't mean that you can't find love. It will just take more patience on your part. After all, you don't need to be attractive to 99.9% of womankind, you only need to be attractive to one. Good luck!
That's a sweet thing to say.
It's not THAT big a problem. I can meet people and go on dates, my point was that it seems to come up as an issue (not a deal breaker, just an issue) with the women I've dated and I posted this mainly to see if many women outside of my small sample of influence feel the same way or not.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
I know this isn't a question being posed to me, but I doubt it.

It's not just about being physically weaker, it's the psychological scars and insecurity that are bound to be the result of physical weakness.

But you don't need to be big to be strong.
Do pushups.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowandmoresnow View Post
So you are with your boyfriend and..

-You are play wrestling and you realize that you could totally kick his butt, if you wanted to.

-You decide to arm wrestle and you easily win every time.

-You guys are moving boxes or furniture and he can't keep up with you or lift nearly as much as you can.

-You're walking together in a sketchy part of the city after a show and realize that you would be much more
effective at self defense if the need arose than he would.
i am 5'2" 102 lbs. i have very thin arms, an especially small wrists. if i was able to beat a guy in arm wrestling or if i am the one to protect us in a dark alley, then no, i could not be with someone like that.

i am not opposed to being with someone who is not really strong or who is not particularly tough. i have been with guys who are on the small side, thin and not a lot of muscle and are not into bulking up and all that. it's not a big deal to me.

having said that, i am very much attracted to a guy with strong arms. what a turn on. not bodybuilder huge arms. not super muscular. just nice, good-looking strong arms thankyouverymuch

Old 02-11-2015, 08:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Nope. He has to bring *something* to the relationship.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I need a man who can lift 135lbs without his knees buckling.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowandmoresnow View Post
That's a sweet thing to say.
It's not THAT big a problem. I can meet people and go on dates, my point was that it seems to come up as an issue (not a deal breaker, just an issue) with the women I've dated and I posted this mainly to see if many women outside of my small sample of influence feel the same way or not.
Well, like I said, it's not something I ever thought about. Besides, even if I ended up being physically stronger than a guy I was dating, I tend to notice that people excel in other areas. I know it's cliche, but the weaker looking guys might be more cerebral for example (so they are of stronger intelligence than I am). Or maybe they are stronger with artistic talent... or stronger in some other area. It's not all about the physical--men are more than just bags of flesh after all.

So I am with Butterflyfish... just because you aren't mainstream doesn't mean there isn't someone out there for you. You can't worry about your weaknesses too much (do your best to change them of course, but don't worry) and focus on your strengths and all the good things about yourself.

And good luck!

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM

15 posts, read 14,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Well, like I said, it's not something I ever thought about. Besides, even if I ended up being physically stronger than a guy I was dating, I tend to notice that people excel in other areas. I know it's cliche, but the weaker looking guys might be more cerebral for example (so they are of stronger intelligence than I am). Or maybe they are stronger with artistic talent... or stronger in some other area. It's not all about the physical--men are more than just bags of flesh after all.

So I am with Butterflyfish... just because you aren't mainstream doesn't mean there isn't someone out there for you. You can't worry about your weaknesses too much (do your best to change them of course, but don't worry) and focus on your strengths and all the good things about yourself.

And good luck!
Thanks! That's pretty much what I've done. I realized that trying to workout and eat like crazy to change my natural, default body type was fighting nature. My natural strengths are in other areas. Distance running for example or my career which is programming. If I make it a priority to gain size and strength, those other aspects of my life will suffer. Why not do what I am good at and get better at it, rather than fight an uphill battle trying to change my body type for superficial reason?

I agree with you totally. I didn't come here looking for tips on how to get bigger but really to just get women's opinions on skinny, weaker guys because I was curious if a random opinions of women would match my experiences.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times
There is a difference in physical build and physical strength. A guy can be big in built but physically weak, yet a guy in smaller bulit can be physically strong. Having said, I prefer the man that is physically bigger and stronger than myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships