Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:50 PM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think you should definitely see a psychologist.
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:56 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
I'm not so sure I would. I'm afraid every argument we would have would be tinged with some kind of "clinical" analysis or some other "observations"

LOL

Old 02-11-2015, 02:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,042,730 times
I tried; she was really cute
but she said no to a third date.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,978,187 times
Probably not. I might out of curiosity.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM

13,588 posts, read 9,622,817 times
I've dated a psychiatric clinician. She practices a form of therapy called "EMDR", and specializes in patients with PTSD. At first I surmised that our conversations would be all about Freud, Adler and Jung. Instead they were about hospital administration, oppressive bosses, recalcitrant patients and workplace stress. I wanted to discuss the extent to which Schopenhauer's ideas on the determinacy of choice affects survivor's guilt of PTSD patients. Her response: "shopping who"? The relationship was problematic.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM

9,246 posts, read 14,814,742 times
It's often said that many people who go into this field do it to try to solve their own issues. And many are unsuccessful.

I had a friend who dated a psych and lived to regret it.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:05 PM

805 posts, read 1,554,682 times
I'm a psychologist and I would not date one.
Ok maybe there are one or two that I know who are fun, but for the most part they do tend to take themselves too seriously and have forgotten how to have fun.

When my friend and I were just out of grad school we would tell men we were either flight attendants or physical therapists because saying "shrinks" did not lead to a lot of wild dates lol.

That said, I believe that only an irritating minority "analyze" everything other people do. God knows I never did.

Cheers

Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I've dated a psychiatric clinician. She practices a form of therapy called "EMDR", and specializes in patients with PTSD. At first I surmised that our conversations would be all about Freud, Adler and Jung. Instead they were about hospital administration, oppressive bosses, recalcitrant patients and workplace stress. I wanted to discuss the extent to which Schopenhauer's ideas on the determinacy of choice affects survivor's guilt of PTSD patients. Her response: "shopping who"? The relationship was problematic.
She sounds like she could be a compassionate person. Maybe you just asked her the wrong questions. And many PTSD patients don't have "survivor's guilt". Some are the victims of crime, where "survivor's guilt" isn't relevant. There are many causes of PTSD.

Your assumptions about conversation topics are interesting, though. I wonder if everyone assumes people will talk about the details of their profession. I would have assumed she'd talk about her hobbies and interests outside her work world. And btw, Freud has been passe for decades.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I'm a psychologist and I would not date one.
Ok maybe there are one or two that I know who are fun, but for the most part they do tend to take themselves too seriously and have forgotten how to have fun.

When my friend and I were just out of grad school we would tell men we were either flight attendants or physical therapists because saying "shrinks" did not lead to a lot of wild dates lol.

That said, I believe that only an irritating minority "analyze" everything other people do. God knows I never did.

Cheers
It really depends on the person, and on the brand of psychology they practice. The few who stick close to a Freudian model seem to take themselves too seriously. There are so many other "schools" of psychology now, some quite innovative, exciting, and at times--yes--fun, that it's impossible to generalize.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:20 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not so sure I would. I'm afraid every argument we would have would be tinged with some kind of "clinical" analysis or some other "observations"

LOL
LOL...I couldn't do it because I'm not down with the "let's talk it out" crap and the "I-statements"

The whole "when you do this, it makes me angry"...Ef that. How about "when you do that....you're an a-hole!! I'm going to Target to cool off. Find your own damn dinner" That's how I roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships