Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,343,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I was born in the wrong decade. I absolutely love traditional men. What's so bad about buying her flowers, carrying her heavy bags, protecting her from the dangers around her, treating her with complete respect, helping her become a better woman?
There's still some of us left...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:44 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
There are plenty of men out their who would be more "traditional" given the chance. The problem goes both ways.

the disconnect is symbiotic, not one way. You have a generation crying for independence one second while asking to be coddled in the next breath.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
There are plenty of men out their who would be more "traditional" given the chance. The problem goes both ways.

the disconnect is symbiotic, not one way. You have a generation crying for independence one second while asking to be coddled in the next breath.
The 2 are not mutually exclusive. I have independence and my husband is protective, and vice versa.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2015, 03:56 PM

477 posts, read 314,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post

I'm a 5'2 with a petite frame. I don't think it's asking too much for me to expect my big strong 190 lb husband to be watchful over me. It has nothing to do with independence or tradition, it is simply wanting to be kept safe by someone I love and who loves me. If you have a gf you should naturally want to be protective of her. My husband is protective of me the same way that i am protective of our daughter. Why must wanting to be safe mean that i want to surrender my rights as human being and go back to 'tradition'? Your date wanting you to walk her to her car on a dark night doesn't mean she wants to be 'coddled'.

Last edited by BrowningPoeFrost; 04-17-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 04:19 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,231 times
I'm fiercely independent (to the point I'm the one that handles the drills and tools in the house) and my hubby is still protective of me. For instance last week I went to the basement to get the laundry and he came with me because we have had some questionable people in our building lately.

It may be a deal breaker for some, but it is a trait that is definitely appreciated. As long as the protectiveness doesn't go overboard into controlling, it is something that is desired by many women.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:32 PM

You all misunderstood the comment.

I am saying you have a generation of hypocrites who want what they want when they want it but will never give back in order to have a healthy symbiotic relationship

Realtionships are always symbiotic in nature. They fail when they are not.
You get back what you give.

It's neither male or female "issue" it's one feeding off the other.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:35 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningPoeFrost View Post
I'm a 5'2 with a petite frame. I don't think it's asking too much for me to expect my big strong 190 lb husband to be watchful over me. It has nothing to do with independence or tradition, it is simply wanting to be kept safe by someone I love and who loves me. If you have a gf you should naturally want to be protective of her. My husband is protective of me the same way that i am protective of our daughter. Why must wanting to be safe mean that i want to surrender my rights as human being and go back to 'tradition'? Your date wanting you to walk her to her car on a dark night doesn't mean she wants to be 'coddled'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I'm fiercely independent (to the point I'm the one that handles the drills and tools in the house) and my hubby is still protective of me. For instance last week I went to the basement to get the laundry and he came with me because we have had some questionable people in our building lately.

It may be a deal breaker for some, but it is a trait that is definitely appreciated. As long as the protectiveness doesn't go overboard into controlling, it is something that is desired by many women.
Have to agree with both of these. We don't live in the wilderness, and aren't cave people. But sometimes, being with a good man, who cares enough to want to protect you is the thing. It's reassuring, and shows he values you. But again, provided he's not controlling.

It's really a case of being a team. You want a partner who can have your back. But by that same token, you need to have their back as well. Can be in the same way, or different ways, but still watching out for one another.

I think it's understandable to want a partner you feel will help and watch out for you when things get bad. Unlike being with a partner who will throw you under a bus, or run off and leave you when things get bad.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
It's really a case of being a team. You want a partner who can have your back. But by that same token, you need to have their back as well. Can be in the same way, or different ways, but still watching out for one another.
This is the simple version of what I was saying.

spefically how some people conduct themsleves towards the opposate sex and then feel entitled to being treated a specific way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships