Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times

Advertisements

Is it true that everybody or almost everybody is in an open relationship? Like do guys text many other girls even if they already have a girlfriend?! And the girlfriends do the same thing?! And I am not talking about just having other friends?! Also, why do people post on their instagrams and twitters the pictures of themselves together (two people dating in the same picture) and YET they are posting their telephone number saying how lonely they are?!?! And then they post pictures of themselves smoking the pot?! And no I am not trolling I am really wondering how often this happens and why? Wait I know why. Everybody is an idiot. I would think people would want to keep away from each other as much as possible because everybody is an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I think it depends on your circle. It's not the norm in mine.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 PM

321 posts, read 372,128 times
I think it's a relatively rare that people will be in true open relationships, by which I mean they are in a long-term commitment with someone where they have agreed to still see other people. Those exist, obviously, but they aren't the norm.

What is far more common is that people who are just dating (not in a committed relationship with anyone) will still go on dates with other people. I've always assumed this to be the norm unless it is otherwise specified.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think it depends on your circle. It's not the norm in mine.

Ours either but our circle does not use social media anything because it is a huge waste of time, energy and a lot of things we really don't need to know intimate details about other's and their lives.

Original poster: If you stay off of social media you do not see those things which leads to less stress and less contact with those you feel are idiots.

I am curious though do your friends know you refer to them as idiots?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Sounds like a young wild crowd.Why do you care if people are being stupid? Every generation has people like this.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Open relationships definitely exist, and are more common in certain circles or communities. The latter part of my first marriage was "open," and I knew of many others who were also open when I was in the dating scene. I lived in very progressive areas at the time, Atlanta and So. Cal.

However, I don't know very many openly "open" couples outside the BDSM community.

Casual dating, no exclusivity, multiple people, is not a case of open relationship or consensual non-monogamy.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
In the absence of infidelity being at least a gross misdemeanor with consequences in a criminal court of law. . . . .

All relationships are essentially open.

Of course when cheating occurs: hearts can get broken, tears are shed and feelings are hurt - but that is about the extent of which their is any consequence to the infidelity. The partner that was doing the cheating more than likely checked out of the relationship weeks or months prior, doesn't really care anyway and/or was never really emotionally and psychologically invested in the relationship to begin with.

Everyone is basically in an open relationship because there is no current legal, moral or ethical restraint keeping one or both parties in the relationship from cheating at any point in time.

Now, there probably are quite a few couples that claim they will always be monogamous, but it is important to note the fact that two people that claim they will always be monogamous more than likely are both:

01 - Too unattractive to ever find other partners
02 - Have sex drives that are so low they do not have an inherent urge to seek out other options
03 - Due to old age, practically are unable to engage in infidelity and/or function at their peak level sexually.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 AM

366 posts, read 410,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Now, there probably are quite a few couples that claim they will always be monogamous, but it is important to note the fact that two people that claim they will always be monogamous more than likely are both:

01 - Too unattractive to ever find other partners
02 - Have sex drives that are so low they do not have an inherent urge to seek out other options
03 - Due to old age, practically are unable to engage in infidelity and/or function at their peak level sexually.
Every time you post I lose a little more faith in humanity. Where do you get this stuff?!

OP it sounds like you hang around a younger crowd who may not be into serious relationships yet. That's not true open relationships, just kids being kids. You'll age out of that trend.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Is it true that everybody or almost everybody is in an open relationship? Like do guys text many other girls even if they already have a girlfriend?! And the girlfriends do the same thing?! And I am not talking about just having other friends?! Also, why do people post on their instagrams and twitters the pictures of themselves together (two people dating in the same picture) and YET they are posting their telephone number saying how lonely they are?!?! And then they post pictures of themselves smoking the pot?! And no I am not trolling I am really wondering how often this happens and why? Wait I know why. Everybody is an idiot. I would think people would want to keep away from each other as much as possible because everybody is an idiot.
Huh?? What are you smokin'?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 AM

245 posts, read 219,383 times
To the OP, no... most people are not. At least voluntarily.

Cheaters happen, at that point, you are in an open relationship, even if you don't know it.

I wont do it.

I wont even do 3 somes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships