Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times

Advertisements

Oh, boy, can't believe I'm going to provide entertainment for this forum!
(I'm the 32 year old)

Soooo..... I ended a nearly 3 year relationship fairly recently (it withered on the vine) meaning I'm out of practice.

Childhood friend of mine (lost touch just before high school) and I had reconnected a few years ago.... And his sister moved back last year.

Long story short:
Been around each other occasionally over the last year, now both single, (never married on either part, no kids, etc)
Apparently the strong attraction is mutual. He (my buddy) gives his blessing, their parents say I'm the best guy she could ever date, she knows I'm a great guy....

But it's a sticky situation. (never dated a buddies sister before)
"technically" we haven't been out on a first date. (although it's planned) But when her former BF didn't take her out to the place he said he would for her birthday, I did, I'm helping her with some long term goals, drank with her all night and held her when he dumped her. (not rebound, her's withered on the vine too) played the gentleman so far.... We've been seeing a lot of each other for the last month and pretty much talking nonstop.

Ok, enough drama/backstory, now for question:

She's going to get treated well, goes without saying, I doubt I'll do anything which will **** off her family.
Buuut, she may be a mature 23 (several characteristics which hold strong attraction, and interest me) but she is still 23, and I've mostly dated older women.

Help?

Neither one of us are interested in rushing it. We can and do talk frankly (something I like) and we are pretty much both wanting to taking it slow, but it's POSSIBLE (not hearing wedding bells or anything) that the other has the characteristics we are each looking for long term. (I even half joked about getting to know her and coming back in 5 years when she voiced concerns she might be too immature for me.)
I'd like to give this an "honest shot" SOOO..... What can I do to mitigate the "age gap"? I realize if we were both 10 years older it would be less of an issue, but she just graduated college, (steady job, not what she wants, but full time with bennifits) I've got my degree, medically retired from the military, and have been self employed for years.
Big life experence difference there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
What can I do to mitigate the "age gap"?
Nothing except be patient ... and honest.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
This was not nearly as salacious as the title and first sentence leads the reader to expect. You have a bright future ahead of you in advertising if the whole self employed thing doesn't pan out.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 PM

321 posts, read 371,949 times
That was a lot of back story for one simple question. What can you do to mitigate the age gap? Nothing, other than being patient and understanding, same as with any relationship. It will either work out or it won't, same as with any relationship. Best of luck.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
It sounds like your the family is good with this, and I would think that this is often the biggest hurdle. Take your time to enjoy each other. If the relationship does develop into a deep romance, take time to make it strong between the two of you. This will make it easier to deal with any critics, because people will be focused on how good you are together vs. seeing an older guy with a young gal.

Don't set up your relationship with hurdles that are only in your mind. Enjoy the wonder of falling in love!

Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
vs. seeing an older guy with a young gal.

!
(chuckles) ouch.

I'll confess I do not think of myself that way (I'm only 32 for crying out loud!)
Although she calls me "old man" and I call her "little girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This was not nearly as salacious as the title and first sentence leads the reader to expect. You have a bright future ahead of you in advertising if the whole self employed thing doesn't pan out.
sorry about that.... Didn't think the story would bennifit much if I described her tight little posterior and SUPERB legs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
That was a lot of back story for one simple question. What can you do to mitigate the age gap? Nothing, other than being patient and understanding, same as with any relationship. It will either work out or it won't, same as with any relationship. Best of luck.
(another chuckle) please excuse me for being wrapped up in my life....

Thanks

Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 PM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
I wouldn't even worry about it. That's not that big a deal.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
My wife is considerably younger than myself. Her folks and mine had no issue with the age diff. Our friends don't either. If you make each other happy...go for it. You go through life worrying about what other people think of you...you may as well crawl into a dark hole and die. Enjoy life man.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:22 AM

321 posts, read 371,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

(another chuckle) please excuse me for being wrapped up in my life....
It's okay for you to be, as long as you don't expect us to be. 😉

Seriously, you're overthinking it. I dated women that young (and younger) when I was your age. Have fun and enjoy it. It might last long-term and it might not, but either way you probably won't think of the age difference as that big of a deal when you look back on it. If anything the bigger deal is that she's your friend's sister, but you didn't ask a question related to that part.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
It sounds like you have some great potential. I think you should just continue what you started, having fun and spending time together. There is an age/life gap, but having history together and her brother's approval go a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships