Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:36 PM

718 posts, read 615,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I am horrified by the hate in this thread. If you don't believe in God is your right but to insult Christians as believing in myths is offensive. Sorry but but the non religious are the worst with pushing their beliefs which is why the bible is banned in school but judging immoral activities like promiscuity is wrong and we have to accept.

This is why religion is important when it comes to dating.
I was with you up until you backtracked and did exactly what you were just upset about. I agree that people who don't believe in certain religions should not feel so liberal in their remarks about it being a myth but you're really no better here.

I don't know your school system, but from my knowledge, schools have not banned bibles or religions. I think they've simply stopped making prayers a mandatory thing. I'm pretty sure you can still practice your religion. Perhaps, they encourage you to be private about your religion (which is completely reasonable to me) because religion is a deeply personal decision.

No one should judge you for your religious beliefs, but in the same breath you're condemning people who don't follow your moral code.

Be promiscuous, don't be promiscuous -- that is your prerogative. But don't tell me what is right or wrong according to your beliefs. Just like I won't tell you what you can or cannot believe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:37 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
I am horrified by the hate in this thread. If you don't believe in God that is your right but to insult Christians as believing in myths, being wrong etv is offensive. Sorry but the non religious are the worst with pushing their beliefs which is why the bible is banned in school but judging immoral activities like promiscuity is wrong and we have to accept.

This is why religion is important when it comes to dating.
The Bible should never have been in public schools in the first place.

If you feel that the word "myths" is offensive, how do you feel about the terms "Greek mythology" and "Roman mythology"? People used to believe those "myths" were true. Maybe some still do, I don't know.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:47 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
OP, the word "religious" is pretty vague, and I often ask people to elaborate. There are many people who are "religious" in the sense that they follow a professed religion/ideology in name/label only. Then, there are those with the label who also perform ritualistic acts (eg go to worship services, read holy/religious scripture, but still do/behave in manner xyz that contradicts their belief system...And still yet, there are those who profess, perform ritualistic acts, and truly operate/believe in that particular belief system and place it as a priority in their lives.

You need to figure out what your stance is on each of these 3 separate identities of spiritual dogmas, and which of these you do/don't want in your own personal love life.

Concerning myself, I am a Christian..
and not just the "I am a Christian" in name only type...I read my Bible, I go to Church (as much as I can), I pray on a regular basis, and I have a relationship with Christ. I spend time worshiping Christ in private and spend time talking to Him. He is extremely important to me and has been so every since I was 16. Christ is my center and my guide. He is how I approach life and my day to day existence.

My boyfriend is Catholic and I'm still learning what that encompasses. That being said, he believes in Christ as his Savior, but has active thoughts and deeds that are otherwise not consistent with the Bible on a daily basis. This is not me standing in judgement of him, but just in observation.

So while I struggle over spiritual matters and talk to him about them from time to time, he seems more clueless and often remains silent. There's no point of contention here, but often times I wonder if we are speaking the same language. I'm uncertain if this is more of the issue I have with Catholicism itself, or if this is an issue with him. I'm still learning...

That being said, I would not date anyone who is not a Christian and who does not have a personal relationship with Christ.

In general, you need to figure out what you want and what you don't want or aren't comfortable with.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
I was with you up until you backtracked and did exactly what you were just upset about. I agree that people who don't believe in certain religions should not feel so liberal in their remarks about it being a myth but you're really no better here.

I don't know your school system, but from my knowledge, schools have not banned bibles or religions. I think they've simply stopped making prayers a mandatory thing. I'm pretty sure you can still practice your religion. Perhaps, they encourage you to be private about your religion (which is completely reasonable to me) because religion is a deeply personal decision.

No one should judge you for your religious beliefs, but in the same breath you're condemning people who don't follow your moral code.

Be promiscuous, don't be promiscuous -- that is your prerogative. But don't tell me what is right or wrong according to your beliefs. Just like I won't tell you what you can or cannot believe in.
Unfortunately this one side ness is happening at local schools. The local school will not allow students to read their bible in school but teach classes where they state teens having sex is normal.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post

If you feel that the word "myths" is offensive, how do you feel about the terms "Greek mythology" and "Roman mythology"? People used to believe those "myths" were true. Maybe some still do, I don't know.
Bibles shouldn't be taught but neither should morals that are biased. Using myths about the bible is offensive because it's telling people the bible is a lie when we don't know.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:57 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
Quote:

This thread is not your personal platform/soapbox to spout off about the Bible.

Do you even have an answer to the OP's question?

In the 3 posts you've made in this thread so far, not even one was an attempt to pose some semblance of an answer to the OP.

Seriously. It's nonsense like this that gets legitimate threads shut down.

Last edited by erjunkee; 02-23-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
OP look at the people arguing back and forth in this thread.

In these interactions you have your answer to why having the same or similar belifs systems is important.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
This thread is not your personal platform/soapbox to spout off about the Bible.

Do you even have an answer to the OP's question?

In the 3 posts you've made in this thread so far, not one even attempts to pose some semblance of an answer to the OP.

Seriously. It's nonsense like this that gets legitimate threads shut down.
I stated "It is extremely important to me." In what way is my statement not an attempt to answer the question "How important is religion for you when it comes to a relationship?" ?

I am not the person who spouted off about the Bible. I responded to the person who did. It is a mystery to me what the Bible in public schools, or lack thereof, has to do with the OP. You would have to ask Idontdateyou, since s/he brought it up.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I stated "It is extremely important to me." In what way is my statement not an attempt to answer the question "How important is religion for you when it comes to a relationship?" ?

I am not the person who spouted off about the Bible. I responded to the person who did. It is a mystery to me what the Bible in public schools, or lack thereof, has to do with the OP. You would have to ask Idontdateyou, since s/he brought it up.
I was responding to all those attacking religious people and stating that many of their issues are ones we deal with too. There's the problem, people with different views conflict

Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Bibles shouldn't be taught but neither should morals that are biased. Using myths about the bible is offensive because it's telling people the bible is a lie when we don't know.
Sweetie, I don't have to pretend I think the Bible is true anymore than you have to pretend you think there really is a God named Apollo who rides across the sky in his sun chariot. If that offends you, oh well. Your statement is no doubt extremely offensive to those who hold some other Holy Book as being Divine, but you don't worry about that, do you?

It really isn't your job to police my views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships