Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, I'm not getting the fascination myself. People can do what they choose to do. Not my business.
I'm not a huge fan of marriage so I personally don't care if other people do or don't get married. It's an odd thing to get your knickers in a knot over. Or start a thread about for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:40 AM

376 posts, read 317,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
That graph is useless without any additional data. Marriage rate per what? First time marriage? Total marriage? Of a certain age range?
The same metric that has always been used to compute marriage rate:

Marriage rate per 1,000 unmarried females aged 15+

Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
There is a greater trend toward people not getting married. We're not, we've been together a long time 20 plus yrs. It was never an important thing for us, it just didn't register on the radar as being that important. I think Mrs. Chow probably has stronger feelings toward anti-marriage than I do. I think we grew up watching our parents have multiple failed marriages, IDK... maybe that sort of sticks with people. I'm more certain of not having kids than not being married, meaning I'm slight negative more neutral toward marriage. We've contemplated getting married just for the social security benefits for her. I've always made more money so if I were to pass she could collect on the higher amount... but IDK... heck all the talk of SS funding issues, who knows if t's gonna be around anyways.

I'm not part of the demographic that the OP is talking about, but yeah, I can see people not caring as much about marriage these days.

Is it a good thing or bad?? I don't know. I do think if people decide to have kids that they should probably be married... but IDK....

It would be somewhat hypocritical of me to rail against people not getting married since I'm not... so again, I don't know.

It would seem like each couple would have to decide what is important for them and move forward from that point.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
Marriage rate up to 2011:
[graph]
That doesn't look right. I thought the link in the original post said 25% of millenials won't ever get married. So that graph should start at 90 and decline to like 75%. You have it declining to 25%.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Weird that your government's stats don't really support that claim, though. And Australia's not even included in the ten countries with the lowest marriage rates.
How on earth would you know that?

I'm speaking from personal knowledge which does tend to be somewhat ahead of whatever stats are gathered 5 years ago.

I haven't been to or even heard of a wedding since before the GFC. Obviously folk STILL do get married, but not the ones I know.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:55 AM

133 posts, read 211,874 times
Being married is a plus in that you don't have to date anymore and keep winding up on these forums about where the relationship went wrong......

Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky444 View Post
Being married is a plus in that you don't have to date anymore and keep winding up on these forums about where the relationship went wrong......
Not with a divorce rate at 50 plus percent.

Nothing is certain.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 PM

The actual divorce rate will end up being something like 80%.

Our society is changing. Mating for life just doesn't work any more.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Not with a divorce rate at 50 plus percent.

Nothing is certain.

We've been over this a lot on this forum, but the divorce rate is fairly moderate (about a third) for first marriages, so most first marriages stay intact.

That divorce rate drops even further if the parties are college educated and waited until their late 20s/30s to have their first marriage.

The divorce rate peaked late 70s/early 80s (even then it didn't really approach 50%) and has since fallen (though recently plateaued).

Old 02-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We've been over this a lot on this forum, but the divorce rate is fairly moderate (about a third) for first marriages, so most first marriages stay intact.

That divorce rate drops even further if the parties are college educated and waited until their late 20s/30s to have their first marriage.
Any young person marrying today is almost guaranteed to eventually divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships