Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times

Advertisements

I was out to lunch with one of my best friends a few months ago (a male) and he told me a story about having an affair on his wife about 12 years ago with a neighbor. The affair lasted a year. I won’t go into the details but looking back at that time, I do remember the two of them going through a rough time. Anyway, he said that after seeing this woman for a year, he came to his senses, broke it off and never ever cheated on his wife again. I gathered he was very remorseful from the way he talked about it and how it still bothered him to this day that he was ever unfaithful. Now usually I would think in my head “what comes around goes around” or “karma”, but I got to thinking, if someone does something really wrong, but they stop what they are doing and are truly remorseful and never make the mistake again, will Karma still get them? I’m a firm believer in what comes around goes around, but I’m a bigger believer in forgiveness and putting the past behind you. I told him he should let it go, he has already proven in the past 11 years that he is a good man.

Just wanted to know any thoughts on this? And please don’t turn this into a cheating thread - this can pertain to any situation in life.

And no, I haven’t been drinking tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I was out to lunch with one of my best friends a few months ago (a male) and he told me a story about having an affair on his wife about 12 years ago with a neighbor. The affair lasted a year. I won’t go into the details but looking back at that time, I do remember the two of them going through a rough time. Anyway, he said that after seeing this woman for a year, he came to his senses, broke it off and never ever cheated on his wife again. I gathered he was very remorseful from the way he talked about it and how it still bothered him to this day that he was ever unfaithful. Now usually I would think in my head “what comes around goes around” or “karma”, but I got to thinking, if someone does something really wrong, but they stop what they are doing and are truly remorseful and never make the mistake again, will Karma still get them? I’m a firm believer in what comes around goes around, but I’m a bigger believer in forgiveness and putting the past behind you. I told him he should let it go, he has already proven in the past 11 years that he is a good man.

Just wanted to know any thoughts on this? And please don’t turn this into a cheating thread - this can pertain to any situation in life.

He did it for a year. That is not a mistake.

A mistake is once - and never doing it again.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
He is probably living in his own personal hell as a result of the remorse he feels so this may be his karma.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I'm still undecided on the karma deal. For the most part I think you make your own heaven and hell, and if you choose a certain path in life the odds eventually catch up with you. The problem with karma is it's very inconsitent. Too many evil people live a happy life and die peacefully in their sleep at a ripe old age while children die of cancer. Just my .03 cents on the issue.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'm still undecided on the karma deal. For the most part I think you make your own heaven and hell, and if you choose a certain path in life the odds eventually catch up with you. The problem with karma is it's very inconsitent. Too many evil people live a happy life and die peacefully in their sleep at a ripe old age while children die of cancer. Just my .03 cents on the issue.
Looks can be deceiving though. Sometimes I see folks who I feel should "have it coming to them" and they look so darn happy, guilt-free, and moving forward in life but then I have to wonder what they REALLY feel like when they try to rest their heads at night...

Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
He did it for a year. That is not a mistake.

A mistake is once - and never doing it again.
True, so he made many mistakes, should he suffer forever? Never be forgiven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
He is probably living in his own personal hell as a result of the remorse he feels so this may be his karma.
That's kinda what I told him. But I don't think a person should suffer forever over things they do wrong. Not just cheating, but anything they do wrong in life. I told him it was time to forgive himself and move one, he suffered enough.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I agree wth this^^.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,857 times
Quote:

It does and karma will get you every time. Like the old saying goes "paybacks are a b****"!LOL......

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
True, so he made many mistakes, should he suffer forever? Never be forgiven?

That's kinda what I told him. But I don't think a person should suffer forever over things they do wrong. Not just cheating, but anything they do wrong in life. I told him it was time to forgive himself and move one, he suffered enough.
You are a good friend to him. He probably needed to hear it in order to set himself free and able to forgive himself.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,087 times
I also believe that what comes around, goes around...but I don't ALWAYS believe that the person necessarily "has it coming to them." To be completely honest, I think it would depend on the situation and whether or not I was personally impacted by whatever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships