Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 PM

27 posts, read 22,248 times

Advertisements

I have read through several articles about places in the country where there are more single men than single women vs. places where there are more single women than single men. Outside of the obvious places like Alaska and North Dakota, single women have the advantage in the West and in areas where there is a lot of high tech or oil and gas related work. Single men have the advantage on the East Coast. I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. It is a bad place for single men. More men that women. High tech and oil and gas jobs. Lots of high income men to compete against. And most of the people my age are married. There is also a cultural difference. I grew up in Northern California. I'm not really all that religious and politically I am middle of the road. Most people here are very religious and very politically conservative.

My experiences confirm this. When I lived in Colorado I almost got married twice, and never had problems getting a date. If I knew how lonely Texas was going to be, I would have married the last one and stayed in Colorado. Instead I chased my career and sacrificed my social life. She would not leave Colorado, even for me, and she also warned me, there were two kinds of girls in Dallas, church girls and party girls. I was not religious enough for the former and I am not slick enough or drunk enough for the latter. After my years here, I now understand this. I have trouble finding women my age who are interested in me. I can go on vacation and single women actually approach me. The last time I went skiing in Taos, I met a single gal my age on the chairlift who was a local and we had a great time skiing together. Last summer in New Orleans I met a cute grey haired women my age working in a store in the French Quarter and we talked for almost an hour. She was fascinated by my career and my volunteer work in dog rescue. I should have gotten her phone number. Most women in Dallas won't give me the time of day.

I have other single male friends who have given up. All of them are successful business owners or professionals like I am. Some of my other male friends have found wives in Europe, the Philippines and in Russia. They are from here but couldn't find wives here. This place is crazy. When I do find somebody to go out with, she always has three or four other boyfriends she is seeing and is not only very upfront about it, but actively wants us to compete with each other.

After reading the articles about how there are more single men than single women in this town, I think I now know what's happening. The good thing is, real estate in Dallas is crazy too. I could make a bunch of money bailing out of my house at this point. Everybody is coming here and buying now.

So where can I go where the odds are more in my favor? The East Coast? Chicago? Both have better numbers than DFW. Is there a nice small town somewhere? Winter sports is a plus. I'm an avid skier and ice skater and Dallas isn't the best place for this. I also need a place where I can get a house with a garage and a big yard. I restore and collect old sports cars and I have a pack of large rescued dogs who have to go wherever I go.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:17 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,836,298 times
Why not move back to Colorado?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
I'm not sure I would want to be the chick you would have married if you would have known you couldn't get a date in the future. Not exactly romance at it's best.

I'm sure you can check out City Data's demographics on each city to find out where you can bank on the ratio's of each given city.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,884,958 times
The relationships subforum on city data...

Old 02-25-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Why not move back to Colorado?
I might consider that, but strangely enough, Denver has more single men than single women and when you go out west to the ski towns, it gets even worse. I used to live around Vail and it can be a lonely place for guys when the tourists go home. Denver is also one of the worst job markets for professionals. They have guys with PhD's bagging at the grocery store. That's why I left.

money vs. companionship

Maybe I chose wrong.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Recently I came across a town that had almost twice as many women as men. I think it was in WA State. Try Bellingham, Port Townsend (full of the 50+ crowd), and other towns around the Olympic Peninsula and Kitsap Peninsula in the Puget Sound area. There used to be someone with a business of restoring antique cars and trucks in Port Townsend. I don't know if that's still there.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not sure I would want to be the chick you would have married if you would have known you couldn't get a date in the future. Not exactly romance at it's best.
On the other hand, it could be a great plot for a science fiction time travel novel.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,836,298 times
You'd probably enjoy Portland or Bend Oregon.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Coyote View Post
On the other hand, it could be a great plot for a science fiction time travel novel.
Good point.

Unfortunately real life rarely gives us plots like that for us to live out...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Recently I came across a town that had almost twice as many women as men. I think it was in WA State. Try Bellingham, Port Townsend (full of the 50+ crowd), and other towns around the Olympic Peninsula and Kitsap Peninsula in the Puget Sound area. There used to be someone with a business of restoring antique cars and trucks in Port Townsend. I don't know if that's still there.
Strange. The statistics show 140 single men in Seattle for every 100 single women. None of the smaller cites or towns are listed. Do the guys all work for Microsoft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships