Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 7,205 times

Advertisements

So, speaking strictly in terms of "going out on the town," does anyone have a fun idea for date nights? We have a daughter and typically stick to the dinner-and-a-movie date night, but we want to switch it up a bit. The closest city to us that has a LOT of fun things to do is roughly an hour away. There are some things to do around here, but nothing too crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,293,269 times
It would help to know where you are. You might want to try posting in your local forum too.

Some generic ideas are:

A picnic

Iceskating

Instead of dinner and a movie, go see a comedy show

Get a hotel room and pick one another up at the hotel bar

Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,171,503 times
I go out (with others) to see bands a lot.

The breweries/cideries here often have event nights. One tonight is teaming up with a rock climbing gym and a projector installation art group for an event. Might see what else like that is going on. Breweries often have events.

Done a few hot tub date nights as well over the past year.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,832,973 times
Picnic
Miniature golf
Trivia night at a pub
Play or concert at a college
Comedy club
Tribute band for some throwback music you like
Couple's massage
Nursery to pick out some plants

Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 AM

29,803 posts, read 34,621,783 times
Take a cooking class together.
Dance lessons.
Do a wine/beer tasting.
Trivia night at a bar or pub.
Gallery crawl.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM

10 posts, read 7,205 times
All great ideas. Thanks everyone! We are near an Army base, so it's a lot of stuff for single soldiers around (and doesn't really reply to us). We also have a daughter, so getting out for nights doesn't happen TOO often. Love the picnic idea, taking a cooking class, comedy show, and picking out plants (we love gardening). Really appreciate it!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,977,893 times
It takes a village... I'm not talking to anyone in particular but I just want to put it out there that the Nuclear Family institution is responsible for more unhappiness and divorce than maybe all other negative influences combined. It was never intended by The Framer (or God or other diety) for The Man and The Woman (or The Woman) to raise child(ren) in near isolation. Couples need regular infusions of community and should strive to make that happen. Couples also need regular infusions of alone time and should also strive to make that happen as well. Mostly they don't. And mostly people don't support couples that are looking for a break. I have known of couples so desperate for a break that they do not show up at the appointed time at the end of a scheduled play date to pick up their child. They know that they can only get away with a stunt like that once.

If I had it to do over I'd do it with a different person than my ex-wife. I pick someone that understood and cared enough about the couple connection as well as the parent/child connection(s). A good way to accomplish this, I think, would be the formation of a small (large?) unit of families that would share babysitting in a round robin kind of arrangement. At least once per month one or more of the families would serve as sitters for the children of the other families so they could have the night (weekend?) to do whatever they liked. FWIW.

H

Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,272,978 times
The Maori of New Zealand are so community oriented, its not uncommon for folks to give their kids away to a childless couple.

Just sayn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships