Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:00 PM

72 posts, read 67,615 times

Advertisements

1. I'm sure we all have standards of some sort
So it's pointing out the obvious. I'm sure we all brush our teeth everyday and no one has to emphasize that.

2. And if you didn't have any....so what?

I know a guy who was pretty good looking and sometimes when he couldn't score a girl he wanted, he would go for the heavier, less attractive women.
He would laugh about it and go on with life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:13 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,042 times
ok

Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
That was an awesome post.I loved it.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:49 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
...and?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Was there a point to this post? Yes, people have standards. Some are a given that don't need to be stated, like brushing one's teeth. But is there something wrong with being clear on what you want in a partner? Personally, I think it's great if people say what they want. That way, you'll know immediately if you're what they want or not. Don't date guys under 6'0"? Ok, then I won't waste my time on you since I'm only 5'8". Or if I let a woman know early on that I don't want kids, if she wants to start a family she'll know there's no point in us going out on a date. So again, please explain what the point of your post was.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
standards are different
whether you are a guy on a bar looking for ms tonight, or someone seriously dating wanting to settle down, they are different..

when I was the bar guy, the girl I would go home with at 10:00 with one drink in me looked NOTHING like the girl I picked up on the last call stroll after spending $80 on crown royal and cokes LOL...for me it wasn't about skinny/fat...I liked curvy women and no amount of alcohol would make a women who didn't take care of herself look good

as far as dating standards, there is much more involved than appearance...if your looking to settle down or especially if your divorced and have kids, you have to be MORE selective...Im not gonna bring home a hot mess to my kids LOL...

Old 02-28-2015, 08:55 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Why do some people emphasize they have standards?

Possibly because these days, it seems so many don't have standards.
It's a rarity these days to find someone who is a non conformist, well read, doesn't watch tv,
doesn't do fakebook, can hold intriguing conversations, has a good job, & has no kids (or raised adult kids.)

My time is precious & my life is busy.....
I will never be the type to spend my time w/ just anybody to keep me company.
My standards are high-
They're going to stay high.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:21 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

It's a rarity these days to find someone who is a non conformist, well read, doesn't watch tv,
doesn't do fakebook, can hold intriguing conversations, has a good job, & has no kids (or raised adult kids.)

My standards are high-
What's wrong with "Fakebook" and watching TV so long as neither are excessive?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:21 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Because I have standards and I need you to know that.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post

My standards are high-
This. Half of a successful relationship is knowing yourself and knowing how you expect to be treated.

I mean, all you have to do is look at some of the mondo-bizarro posts on here to see a notable lack of standards in the people posters choose. I mean, how many posts on here do we see about problems with those who are rude, those who lack any ambition, those who are selfish, those who are abusive, and those who are boring.

All these dysfunctional relationships sprang from a lack of standards. The posters in question could have avoided these miserable relationships if a) they had taken a closer look at the person they were dated and b) upon the first infraction, simply said something along the lines of, "Hey, I'm not putting up with that."

In my single life, the turning point for me came when I realized I'd rather hang with my friends on Saturday night than just go on a date with anybody. I stopped dating to date. I stopped wasting my time with women who were dumb or self-centered.

And if a woman played games with me, I simply told her that wasn't my cup of tea. After all, no matter how wonderful someone is, he or she will test the boundaries with you in a relationship in terms of how they're allowed to treat you. If they don't find any, they'll lost respect over time. Trust me on this. Normal people like their romantic partners with backbone.

Anyway, voila. Life became immediately better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships