Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,295,333 times

Advertisements

Have you purposefully stepped over the boundaries of your relationship? Were you not paying attention and then only realized after the fact? Have you always been within the boundaries?

I'm definitely going through an interesting stage of my life. Still safe, but....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 10:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,362,767 times
Although I wish it were that easy to let myself off the hook, I accept responsibility for my actions and do know the difference between right and wrong. Yes, I have in the past done something I am not proud of which affected and destroyed my relationship. Did I do it because I was not paying attention--absolutely not--I did it because I was selfish and only thinking about myself.

From the rest of your posting about the "interesting stage" in your life and "still safe, but" it sounds like you may be considering doing something which you know may hurt someone else. Or maybe something already happened or almost happened. The "but" kind of eliminates the "still safe" part you said. I just hope the other person(s) in your life are "safe". What is "interesting" to you may turn out to be quite hurtful to others if you are not careful.
Good luck.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,290,934 times
In my teens until 27, I loved to toe the line....and I would keep testing how far I could go. I am not like that anymore, realizing that what I thought was funny, wasn't very funny to the women. Not proud of it, but am not going to hide from the fact. It's a big part of who I am, and made it very easy for me to be completely aware of women's feelings.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
it depends on which boundaries you are talking about in a relationship. i tend to live on the edge of relationship boundaries, since i take what the other person is willing to give. as a result sometimes i give those boundaries a gentle push from time to time to expand them. that said, i do respect the boundaries that people set up, and i dont push them if i dont feel the other person is ready.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,969,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Have you purposefully stepped over the boundaries of your relationship? Were you not paying attention and then only realized after the fact? Have you always been within the boundaries?

I'm definitely going through an interesting stage of my life. Still safe, but....
I don't get what your saying?

You want to invite whips in chains? Midgets and donkeys? What?

Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
He probably is attracted to someone, a married friend, and is thinking of cheating. Probably feels justified given the problems with his marriage, which he, of course, helped create.

OP, I have, and it never happens accidentally. You choose every step of the way. Be prepared to deal with the consequences, not all of which can be foreseen.

Don't be vague, pls. We can't read yr mind and can't help without specifics.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
He probably is attracted to someone, a married friend, and is thinking of cheating. Probably feels justified given the problems with his marriage, which he, of course, helped create.

OP, I have, and it never happens accidentally. You choose every step of the way. Be prepared to deal with the consequences, not all of which can be foreseen.

Don't be vague, pls. We can't read yr mind and can't help without specifics.
Each person I suppose would determine in their own mind that line I speak of, anbd what you would do to cross it.

Is kissing another person not your partner cheating? Feeling? And the answer is obvious if you have sexual relations not with your partner.

Given my previous accountability in part to where I am today in a 33+ year marriage, and with other factors continuing to strain said marriage, yes there is a person I am attracted to. Problem is, it's not just in a sexual way, as this person and I are truly close friends without having yet crossed any line. The sexual tension is there, and it is a two-way street. Kissing once is all that has happened. And she's married too, and I've asked and she tells me she's happy in her marriage, which of course makes my wonder why she would be in this tension with me. Funny thing - my marriage and hers - spouses opposites. This woman and I are alike in many ways, save for my introversion and her extroversion (for lack of better terms).

I feel no justification thinking about the slippery slope in front of me as a marriage vow is sacred, and until it's ended there are "rules" to abide by regardless of the current state of the marriage. But I also have a fairly empty marriage right now. My fear is doing something that "isn't me", whatever that means.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it depends on which boundaries you are talking about in a relationship. i tend to live on the edge of relationship boundaries, since i take what the other person is willing to give. as a result sometimes i give those boundaries a gentle push from time to time to expand them. that said, i do respect the boundaries that people set up, and i dont push them if i dont feel the other person is ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I don't get what your saying?

You want to invite whips in chains? Midgets and donkeys? What?
Sorry - I was not specific enough. I do not mean boundaries within a relationship, but the boundary doing something not with your partner but with someone else. At the end of the slope is full-on cheating, meaning having sex with someone else. But the slippery slope is everything leading up to that.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,750,756 times
You spoke about the issues in your marriage a while ago. And you also spoke about being attracted to a long time friend. You were advised back then to keep away from her and not jeopardise her marriage. I see you didn't listen to that advice so I will say it again. Keep away from her, stop flirting, stop thinking there is 'sexual tension', stop making excuses. It is highly selfish of you to be playing with the idea of ruining your good friend's marriage.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,020,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Sorry - I was not specific enough. I do not mean boundaries within a relationship, but the boundary doing something not with your partner but with someone else. At the end of the slope is full-on cheating, meaning having sex with someone else. But the slippery slope is everything leading up to that.

Nope. I can't recall doing that. If I were doing that it would mean I'm really not committed to the person I'm dating so I'd just end it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships