Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,153 times

Advertisements

There is something I do not understand about certain men.

How to distinguish defensiveness as a result of their ego getting bruised from raw honesty?

1. I had an instance where a man and I clicked really really well (or so I thought). However, at some point, he invited me over and I declined because I wasn't ready (having sex on date 2 or 3 is too soon for me).

The following day, he texted me and told me I didn't spark his interest intellectually. The interest was purely physical. This speech being the opposite of what I had gotten two weeks prior.

2. When you reject a man because you're not interested in them and they start bad-mouthing you to the point where people who you don't even know start hating you for no an apparent reason.

3. When you reject a man and he tells you: "You're ugly anyway".

* Those are three different men *

What is this kind of behavior? Why do men act like this? This is utterly confusing for a straight-forward woman like me.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 08-01-2015 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Its lack of self control. Mostly, I'll think fair enough and just move on.

There are 300+ million people and pining over someone who has no interest in me or badmouthing them is not worth my time. There are better things I have to do than worry about her, unless she is an extremist and comes to my front door with a loaded gun.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post

How to distinguish defensiveness as a result of their ego getting bruised from raw honesty?

1. I had an instance where a man and I clicked really really well (or so I thought). However, at some point, he invited me over and I declined because I wasn't ready (having sex on date 2 or 3 is too soon for me).

The following day, he texted me and told me I didn't spark his interest intellectually. The interest was purely physical. This speech being the opposite of what I had gotten two weeks prior.

2. When you reject a man because you're not interested in them and they start bad-mouthing you to the point where people who you don't even know start hating you for no an apparent reason.

What is this kind of behavior? Why do men act like this? This is utterly confusing for a straight-forward woman like me.
Well, I guess if you can tell yourself why some women do all this, you'll have yourself an answer.

The short answer is: people suck.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:11 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,375 times
I know you requested hearing from men; however, I wanted to add that not all men have the bahaviors you described. Some are thoughtful, considerate and will not say hurtful things to you. You even pointed out "certain men". Also, a person who makes a comment that you are "ugly" is not a "man" at all--he is mentally a child. No mature person would say such an unkind thing to another person.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:25 AM

291 posts, read 273,676 times
Sorry you ran into somebody like that... dude sounds like scum

Old 08-01-2015, 06:30 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
The behavior is called Asshatdouchebag

Old 08-01-2015, 07:11 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Oh you dated a insecure little boy.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

#1 may have been telling you the truth. But the other two just sound like they are extremely insecure.

When you reject someone, it makes them vulnerable, and insulting you is a way to try to leverage themselves back "above" you.

It's sucks, but be glad when people like this make themselves known to you. You never want to be around someone whose ego is THAT fragile.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
It is sad that sex is viewed so casually now days, and men are taking advantage of it, as though its a given .
Those kind of men should be avoided at all cost .
I mean like a plague .
If you don't respect your body ,that's what your asking for ,being used.

I am truly impressed that you have some restraint ,but it's clear that the men you are meeting, are only looking for some one that's easy or desperate or simply want's to play.
I can't tell you where to look, but don't give up and don't lower your standards.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:

The second is not honest. At the same time, are they really your friends if they are so quick to hear what he has to say and aren't getting the other side of the story from you.

The third is just immature. I've been with ugly girls and done that. Not that exactly, but called it off with a girl I wasn't attracted to. Had to be honest with myself about the fact that I did it thinking it would lead somewhere and it didn't so I lost interest quick.

If you're honest with them, and then they're honest with you, and you're both showing ugly attributes about yourself what difference does it make? It did not work, you should both move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships