Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
No, it doesn't. They are already hanging out. Next time they are in bed he can just kiss her and let things develop from there, but tbh I can't believe he isn't friend zoned yet.
They shouldn't be in bed together, shouldn't be having sleepovers, all under this odd term of "hanging out".

It's no wonder so many are having trouble navigating the dating world! There is too much ambiguity with hanging out rather than dating intentionally. If you're not in a relationship with someone, you shouldn't be sharing their bed, not snuggling and cuddling as "friends". Stop trying to reap the benefits of relationships while being too wimpy to stand up and declare your intentions and actually ask someone on a date or to be in a relationship with you instead of playing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Say some words and see what happens. Maybe when you're spooning. Tell her you like spending time together but would like to go on a date.

You sleep in her bed and spoon. That is just so non-platonic behavior to me. It's what precedes making out. I don't spoon my parents or my sister or any of my friends. But you sound a generation behind me, I'm told texting is the new talking, and you're not the first poster here who has had confusing cuddling situations.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 4,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
They shouldn't be in bed together, shouldn't be having sleepovers, all under this odd term of "hanging out".

It's no wonder so many are having trouble navigating the dating world! There is too much ambiguity with hanging out rather than dating intentionally. If you're not in a relationship with someone, you shouldn't be sharing their bed, not snuggling and cuddling as "friends". Stop trying to reap the benefits of relationships while being too wimpy to stand up and declare your intentions and actually ask someone on a date or to be in a relationship with you instead of playing around.

The question is..do I ask her out on a date or ask her to be in a relationship.
Feels awkward asking her to go on a date it seem like we've hang out alone unofficial dates.. paying for her dinner buying her stuff etc.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpines123 View Post
Feels awkward asking her to go on a date it seem like we've hang out alone unofficial dates.. paying for her dinner buying her stuff etc.
For you it feels like unofficial dating, but for all you know to her it is just a great friendship and nothing more.
Continuing down that road gets a LOT of people hurt when they find out they are considered good friends, and the other person has no interest in a romantic relationship with them.

You need to be up front and honest. The sooner the better.

Tell her your developing feelings and would like to ask her on a date and pursue a relationship with her.

If you cannot communicate your feelings with her, a relationship is not going to work anyway since communicating feelings IS what a relationship is about.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I'll try and make a long story short.

I've been friends with this girl for maybe 6 months now, and we talk a lot, almost everyday. She initiates a lot back then, before I started liking her. She talks to me on all sorts of social media, Facebook, snapchat, gchat, email, etc.. u name it. I started liking her a few months ago. I've stayed over at her place a few times in same bed, but we never did anything. Lately, (past month or so), she lays really close to me when I stay over after drinking). Past couple weeks or so I've been sleeping over at her place or vice versa, but haven't kissed or anything. We've been slowly getting closer.. I started holding her hands, play with her hair, spooning her etc...

I've never really asked her out on an official date or anything. We hang out alone sometimes like studying and dinner etc..., but nothing was "date".

How do I move on from here... Have the where this is going talk? Ask her to be my girlfriend? etc..

Also to note, it wasn't until past couple weeks that I was getting sure she likes me. I always thought she was friendly to me, but when I started holding hands in bed, I became sure she's interested. We haven't done anything public or anything.

What to do?
You cannot "get" anyone to be your girlfriend but you can ask them on a first date and see how it goes. Then you can ask them on a second date and lather, rinse, repeat until you figure out if you want to continue to date or just be friends.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 4,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
For you it feels like unofficial dating, but for all you know to her it is just a great friendship and nothing more.
Continuing down that road gets a LOT of people hurt when they find out they are considered good friends, and the other person has no interest in a romantic relationship with them.

You need to be up front and honest. The sooner the better.

Tell her your developing feelings and would like to ask her on a date and pursue a relationship with her.

If you cannot communicate your feelings with her, a relationship is not going to work anyway since communicating feelings IS what a relationship is about.

I guess I feel like she thinks of us as more than good friends. I don't think she would be doing the things she would with me unless she's a b$#$*...

Hmm

Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Try to kiss her first to see if you can skip the date formal. If she's not into it yet, tell her you feel about her as more than a friend and tell her you'd like to ask her out on a date.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

To each their own, but hanging out has always worked for me and they are already doing that.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I guess I feel like she thinks of us as more than good friends. I don't think she would be doing the things she would with me unless she's a b$#$*...

Hmm

Ah, that is where this thread is going. Got it.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:49 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:

Hmm
Well this is a funny reply.

Aren't you making a big leap here in assuming anything?

You get advice to take ownership of the direction of the relationship, but now if she is not a mind reader for what you are thinking the direction is, your going to resort to calling her names?

Why call her a name? Why have any low opinion of her if you want to have an exclusive relationship with her?

Why the reluctance to just put your feelings out there and ask her if she will pursue a relationship with you, where both parties are clear on the others intentions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships