Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Why are people harping about the cost of the wedding? If you want to get married, you have complete control of the cost. If they were handing out free weddings, would that make you more inclined to get married? I have plenty of reasons why I'm in no hurry to get married, but the cost of the wedding isn't one of them.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:03 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I don't see the need to be married, not for me and Mrs. Chow anyways... we don't have children. We never wanted to be married, even though we're together 20 plus yrs. She feels the same way so it's not her somehow kowtowing to me. She's probably more anti-marriage than I am.

I have her on my medical benefits, she has access to all my financial accounts, retirement accounts she's listed as a beneficiary.

Listed as my power of attorney, etc etc etc.

The one and only thing that I can't get her on without being married is access to my Social Security benefits if I buy the farm before her.

I've made substantially more money than her and she would receive my higher social security benefits if like I said I die before her.

That is the one reason why we might actually break down and get married.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Why are people harping about the cost of the wedding? If you want to get married, you have complete control of the cost. If they were handing out free weddings, would that make you more inclined to get married? I have plenty of reasons why I'm in no hurry to get married, but the cost of the wedding isn't one of them.
C-D gets absurd sometimes, LOL! It's a non-issue. Not even on topic, really.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 PM

783 posts, read 849,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Good grief OP, I can see why you're single and having issues with women. It's painful watching these posts of yours, you come off like a real jerk who hates women.
That the best you got Djuna? When you don't have any logic or facts to make a point you just resort to man shaming personal attacks? It would shock you if you knew how little I cared what you think about me.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Courthouse is cheap.

Just saying.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Bachelor Nation: 70% of Men Aged 20-34 Are Not Married | CNS News

Going to cut and paste a few paragraphs here.

Why is it men's fault that men don't want to get married? I blame family law and how it favors women when it comes to alimony, child custody, child support, division of assets, no fault divorces, etc.

So if a woman finds a nice guy during her bad boy dating years (18-25) she better hold onto him. I think both genders have left the virgin until marriage notion behind with the rare exceptions. Though this article says 'woe to the girl that doesn't put out' there are still way more virgin or dateless men then women IMO and not by choice.

I do agree that the changing marriage rates is a direct result of feminism. After decades of social law favoring women in divorce courts it leaves very little reason or incentive for men to get married. A marriage followed by a 50% chance of divorce resulting in alimony and child support(s) can leave a man financially ruined for the better part of his life. Not even talking about the behavioral changes of women but just the legal implications of marriage.

I do want to get married someday, but I'm being very cautious about it.
My husband and I got married when he was 29. We started dating when he was 24.

I will run ask him if the whole family law situation made him hesitant. We did date for 4.5 years first.

I suspect that men who aren't getting married are just out enjoying being single and/or seeing that women are also busy with getting their careers going and they may be in exclusive relationships, but not in a hurry to get married.

I doubt very seriously that these guys are scared of being taken to the cleaners and this stops them from marrying. Unless they're not marriage material in the first place.

That bolded sentence? I can't even.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:30 PM

62 posts, read 71,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one said you have to have an expensive wedding ceremony to get married. You can go to a justice of the peace, and be done with it.
In theory yes, but I don't know any young woman who wants to do that. They all want to be Cinderella for a day and want a wedding that costs as much as a luxury car. Friends with benefits are cheaper.

Marriage might make sense if you have kids, but if you don't want kids, then I cannot imagine why you would get married. There's nothing wrong with being a perpetual boyfriend and girlfriend.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:44 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
Some butthurt MGTOW person repped me as a way to leave a message, where they told me to "shut up." They proceeded to start whining that the MGTOW movement is "real" and that everyone's always telling them that they'll end up as a bunch of sad, lonely old men if they don't settle down, or something.

No, I won't just shut up. Sorry your knickers are in a bunch. Why don't you debate here out in the open? Have some guts, why don't you!

All anyone has to do is look at a Manosphere or MGOTW site or blog to see what these guys are about. It isn't pretty. It's mostly a lot of whining. These guys are already looking sad, lonely, AND very bitter.

I love how one of the things that Manosphere guys do is accuse anyone who argues with them of being "illogical." Or "too emotional, too irrational." Oh and look, Djuna just had that said to her. I think they all follow the same playbook or something.

As for the expense of weddings, I know people who eloped and made it a very cheap affair. A family member probably spent a few hundred dollars on her wedding. I don't think everyone feels it's mandatory to spend megabucks.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosa View Post
In theory yes, but I don't know any young woman who wants to do that. They all want to be Cinderella for a day and want a wedding that costs as much as a luxury car. Friends with benefits are cheaper.

Marriage might make sense if you have kids, but if you don't want kids, then I cannot imagine why you would get married. There's nothing wrong with being a perpetual boyfriend and girlfriend.
Unless you don't want to be a perpetual girlfriend and boyfriend. You get tired of referring to someone as your boyfriend when you've been dating for years and you're in your 30s.

A woman can have a fairytale wedding without spending a fortune. It's crazy to think that not being able to drop 10 grand or more on a wedding is stopping people from getting married.

Hell, the most starry-eyed gay guy I know got married last year in the most gorgeous small wedding I ever saw and he did most of the work for it himself, right down to the flowers and cake.

It's all about wanting something and making it happen.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:53 PM

615 posts, read 726,043 times
This is because society has become enormosuly inefficient as far as moving the young generation into having enough time and money for marriage.

More than 50% of people who finish college finish in less than 6 years. Those who are able to secure good jobs after college are the vast minority of young adults and are usually required to work 60+ hours (Look at how Amazon stacks the deck with fresh superstar grads and burns them out in a year). The majority of young adults are overeducated and barely scraping by with $15/hr jobs, $400/month student loan payments, $400/month car payments, $800/month studio apartments.

Then you have the fact that we've created so many new "basic needs" that take up time. Most people go to the gym everyday for 1-2 hours after work. That's anti-social time for most of them. Then they go home and feel they have to spend a half hour checking up on their Facebook and the discussion boards they follow.

If life were more simple, it would facilitate more people falling in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships