Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 AM

3,156 posts, read 3,329,487 times

Advertisements

I recently visited a friend. She had a silver dollar sized bruise on her upper arm. I asked what happened. She says her husband accidently hit her while they were in bed. I don't see her very often and have only seen her husband around a handful of times. Then she made a comment about having to wear long sleeve shirts to work so her co-workers don't question about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,619,721 times
What did she say when you asked her?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What did she say when you asked her?
her husband had accidently hit her causing the bruise

Old 03-15-2015, 11:11 AM

38,968 posts, read 27,360,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I recently visited a friend. She had a silver dollar sized bruise on her upper arm. I asked what happened. She says her husband accidently hit her while they were in bed. I don't see her very often and have only seen her husband around a handful of times. Then she made a comment about having to wear long sleeve shirts to work so her co-workers don't question about it.
Maybe she was telling you the truth.

I know couple of women in long term abusive relationships. To be completely honest, I don't think these women need unwanted advice. Sometimes, they just want others to say "your husband still loves you."

I have a one size fits all response to women like that, "I will always support you no matter what you decide to do. I am here for you."

Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 AM

718 posts, read 613,603 times
It's probably true.

If it isn't, you'll realize quickly. If she's always covering herself and showing up with unexplained bruises, its' safe to assume she is being abused.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:28 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,521,327 times
It's difficult to tell from the outside. A wife who is bruised and broken is probably being abused, but not always. When I was first married, I trained horses for a living and I was always bruised, had black eyes and several broken fingers. Maybe my friends thought my husband was a monster, but it was the horses who did it to me.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,619,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
her husband had accidently hit her causing the bruise
So you asked her if he hit her intentionally? Or did you ask, How did you get that bruise?

Old 03-15-2015, 01:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,212,206 times
I have a friend who I suspect is being emotionally abused.

She used to be happy go lucky, proud of her singledom, then met a guy who....

Well, at the very least, he doesn't treat her well even in public.

What to do?

Once upon a time I would've tried to talk to her. These days I realize its futile and will only put more pressure on her and possibly cause her to disappear all together from my life.

Its really a no win situation particularly if you are very fond of your friend - otherwise id say walk away from the drama.

With my friend, who is NOT being physically hurt, its just a matter of holding on until the s888 hits the fan and be there to pick up her pieces.

Shame is overwhelming for these victims, God alone knows why, but I suspect its because old fella convinces them its all THEIR fault, if they weren't so xyz he wouldn't need to smack her across the face, etc.

Wrong, and sick. I simply have no clue on the answers.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So you asked her if he hit her intentionally? Or did you ask, How did you get that bruise?
I just asked "How did you get that bruise?"

Old 03-15-2015, 02:34 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,282,425 times
I would say, that if your friend, has suddenly become distant. If she has broken get togethers, which is something she never used to do. If she has a change in personality, where she acts depressed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships