Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM

147 posts, read 93,116 times

Advertisements

Social media has ruined society in general. As for OLD, not against it but I don't feel it's for me. I prefer friends of friends. They at least know the person, so the odds they're nuts go down a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 PM

46 posts, read 36,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Not necessarily. I know an overweight, homely couple who met online and seem to be happy with each other. I doubt either of them will cheat.
Ditto. I know at least two couples who met online and have been happily and lovingly married for years. None of them would win any beauty or Mr Universe contests, but they're perfect for each other and they have great marriages.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I met my husband and most of my previous boyfriends through the cold approach. A woman can tell the difference between a PUA DB and a great guy.

OLD is superficial in the extreme, because there is no room for personality etc... It's all about the superficial things.
Are hobbies and interests superficial? I'm 62 and I've been in the Appalachian Mountain Club since I was 16. I love hiking, kayaking and snowshoeing, so I want to date someone who likes to do those things. I also like classical music so I want a woman who would enjoy going to concerts with me. Is that superficial? Also, I like to travel, and I'm close to retirement so I'm looking for someone who would be a good traveling companion. Is that superficial?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
One of my biggest issues with OLD was the fact that so many men just aren't photogenic.
I actually agree with this. I'm 62 and started dating last year two years after my wife died. I feel like I've done pretty well. At my age the women contact the men, mostly, and I get a lot of contacts. I have all my hair and I work out regularly, so I don't look bad, but I'm no Robert Redford or George Clooney either!

But I partly credit this to the fact that one of my hobbies is studio photography, and I've had lots of experience doing portraits and model portfolios. So my photos of me mostly look pretty good because I understand the basic principles of lighting, framing, and posing.

I'm appalled at some of the pictures people post of themselves - fuzzy, grainy, poorly lit, no eye contact, weird facial expressions, etc.

Get a fashion or popular culture magazine and look at the faces in it. Pick out the ones you like and ask yourself "why?". What's the expression on their face? What angle is their head at? (hint: straight-at-the-camera with flat-lighting looks like a mug shot). Where are their eyes looking? Etc, etc. Anybody can look good without dishonesty or Photoshop if they make some effort.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Eventually you just have to call it what it is, a broken system. At least the free sites anyway.
The system works for me but I've never used the free sites; I've only used Match and JDate. Also, I have the demographic advantage of being 62 and looking for women my age. Most guys my age try to date younger women which leaves the women in their early 60's all to me.

On the other hand I'm fussy - widows only, must be physically fit and like outdoor activities, must seriously enjoy classical music, the arts, and world travel. On top of that I'm only looking within 25 miles of home. And amazingly they're out there and I'm meeting them! I started dating last year; I've been on a dozen first dates and half of those went on to 2nd dates.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It could be the photo, try changing it and see what happens. I never used to stick with a pic that generated no responses after 2 days
Doubtful. Most guys would fall victim to a mass delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
So tell us Big Sol, what does a fat, ugly man do?
He best bring a ton of income or have appeared on a movie screen at least once in his lifetime. If Kevin James had never been on stage or on a movie screen, he'd be a nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There is. That is what the profile is for. Let your personality shine through your words.
That would be tough to do online, though. Everyone sounds the same. If I go browse POF right now, I could probably find tons of "country girl looking for a redneck romeo" types who "enjoy hunting, fishing, mudding" or the standard "I love my family and friends, I love to laugh, I love to travel and explore other cultures (from the comfort of a five-star hotel, mind you)" nonsense. I notice this kind of run of the mill crap never comes up when chatting with random women in person.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:11 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,553,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
As a single guy in his mid 20's I never had problems meeting girls, girls where always abundant in college.
However once you leave college welcome to the real world. I have a buddy who told me about Tinder, he was dating a great girl so I figured why not give a shot?

HOLY BLEACHED BUTTCHEECKS BATMAN

I will say that it was a depressing experiences. I keep fit and shape and I was lucky to get a date where in person I have no problems meeting women at all.

Most women on there seem to have
  • Surreal expectations
  • Flakes
  • Boring Personalities or don't know how to carry a conversation to save their lives
Than once you met them in person they
  • didn't look their pictures
  • where crazy (I had one girl key my car long story)

I canceled it when I realized it was just a "hook up" app considering the fact I'm not looking to hook up but a serious relationship.

Is this what dating now has reduced to for a young person? meeting each other through apps?
I've been talking to a guy on Tinder and mentioned that some use it as a hookup app. He was shocked and appalled, told me he doesn't believe in premarital sex, and that he would be deleting the app. lol

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 PM

432 posts, read 361,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybentherars View Post
Is this what dating now has reduced to for a young person? meeting each other through apps?
Yes, it's pathetic. Approaching them in public is now deemed "creepy" and "rapy" even though you're basically hiding behind a screen with your d*ck out on Tinder etc...

Old 09-09-2015, 06:35 AM

76 posts, read 124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayzer View Post
Yes, it's pathetic. Approaching them in public is now deemed "creepy" and "rapy" even though you're basically hiding behind a screen with your d*ck out on Tinder etc...
I just don't see the point

It's truly depressing that you have to meet women this way, like think about it for a 2nd

I know another guy who lives Tinder he is 40 but looks 20 because he is ripped, and he bangs a lot of girls EASILY. It's truly sad what Dating has come too, nothing but SEX SEX SEX SEX

Old 09-09-2015, 06:47 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,801,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
That would be tough to do online, though. Everyone sounds the same. If I go browse POF right now, I could probably find tons of "country girl looking for a redneck romeo" types who "enjoy hunting, fishing, mudding" or the standard "I love my family and friends, I love to laugh, I love to travel and explore other cultures (from the comfort of a five-star hotel, mind you)" nonsense. I notice this kind of run of the mill crap never comes up when chatting with random women in person.

Good profiles don't sound the same. And yes, with POF you will get lots of undesirables, but that seems to be (in most, but no all regions) the demographic of POF.

And yup, you put in cliche run of the mill crap. I don't write those people. There are others that do shine through their profiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships