Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Tinder is only a hookup app if you choose to use it that way. It was not unreasonable for the OP to expect to find women on Tinder who weren't looking for hookups.
It doesn't matter how the OP chooses to use it. The point is that it has a reputation for being a hookup app. When it comes to online dating, a site's reputation heavily influences who joins and who doesn't. I would never waste time looking for a serious relationship on Tinder because I know that most people who are looking for one are probably not on Tinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A two-dimensional, often posed photograph vs. a three-dimensional person you can observe? They're not even close.
Totally agree. If I had met my boyfriend on OLD, I don't know if I would have proceeded. Don't get me wrong; he's cute, but he is very formal over texting and the phone, especially when we first met. I don't think I would have gotten a good sense of who he was if I hadn't met him in person, and I might not have ever met him at all.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM

783 posts, read 849,786 times
OLD favors women over men because of men's nature. Women get guy spammed so they get inflated egos. If I was getting 20 messages a day from women my ego would probably get huge too. Men's messages get lost in the sea of guy spam so its hard to make any connections.

Last edited by Montanaguy04; 03-16-2015 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 04:06 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's unusual, I think. I would never have written the last person I dated based on just her photos, they don't represent her well. I may have on her profile, but it was too scant.

When I saw her in person she showed much better and had an energy and facial/body dynamics that were very attractive, and we spoke.

Pictures aren't very telling, in general. That is why so many people complain about them.
I don't expect every photo to be great, but they shouldn't be awful and I need to find him attractive on at least two of them. I haven't really had any surprises when I met people in person, so the photos were accurate.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't expect every photo to be great, but they shouldn't be awful and I need to find him attractive on at least two of them. I haven't really had any surprises when I met people in person, so the photos were accurate.

Well, that's the thing. Attraction, or a person being attractive, isn't about two or even three dimension looks for most people. It is about how they carry themselves, how they move and communicate, their energy and charisma. I think most guys who are into ranking picks on here would say the last person I dated was a 4 or 5, but her results are far far higher than that because of her gregariousness and her charisma (etc) (she doesn't do OLD and she I would think, because of that, would doe much better in person anyway). That is the downside of OLD.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:24 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, that's the thing. Attraction, or a person being attractive, isn't about two or even three dimension looks for most people. It is about how they carry themselves, how they move and communicate, their energy and charisma. I think most guys who are into ranking picks on here would say the last person I dated was a 4 or 5, but her results are far far higher than that because of her gregariousness and her charisma (etc) (she doesn't do OLD and she I would think, because of that, would doe much better in person anyway). That is the downside of OLD.
Not saying it couldn't happen, but I've yet to meet anyone from OLD who I became more or less attracted to based on those things you mentioned. The guys who were really attractive in photos were really attractive in person. The guys who were just ok in photos were just ok in person.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:42 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
Yeah, Tinder is like a box of frosted flakes! lol

Very challenging depending on what you're looking for. It's easy to find an LTR there or a quick one time hookup, but not very easy at all if you're looking for a monogamous long term FWB. I had to search a long time to find my FWB.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Yeah, Tinder is like a box of frosted flakes! lol

Very challenging depending on what you're looking for. It's easy to find an LTR there or a quick one time hookup, but not very easy at all if you're looking for a monogamous long term FWB. I had to search a long time to find my FWB.
FWB and monogamous do not mix

Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,745 times
Overall, I've had little luck with Tinder. Everyone I went out with was able to maintain a conversation and looked like his pictures. Most of them were very nice. One was very negative. One was completely inappropriate. And one who I really hit it off with ended up being an absolute nightmare and he continues to resurface occasionally. My experiences with meeting men in normal, every day life, though much fewer and far between, have been more successful. Still, I wouldn't write off Tinder completely; I just have little hope for it. But I know others who've done well.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
OLD favors women over men because of men's nature. Women get guy spammed so they get inflated egos. If I was getting 20 messages a day from women my ego would probably get huge too. Men's messages get lost in the sea of guy spam so its hard to make any connections.
I think on the free sites some women get even more than 20 messages a day especially in a decent sized metro. That's why I think a paid site is better for a man but what's annoying is you don't know if the women you are emailing are paying subscribers or not. I always said on the free sites that men should be limited to how many messages they can send a day, to reduce spam and copy/pasting. When you factor in the ratio of men to women you basically have about a 3:1 ratio and then factor in the spam you have 1,000 men bombarding a little over 300 women with emails.

I've never used Tinder it's pretty new in the world of OLD really but I admit I'm curious about it. It certainly can't be any worse than Plenty of Flakes, which is my vote for the all time worst dating site for a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships