Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 PM

189 posts, read 297,232 times

Advertisements

I met my girlfriend from an online site a few days after this past Thanksgiving. We hit it off from the start. She has had a very tough life. She had an incompetent mom & dad and the family moved 19 times by the time she was 20 . After high school she had a mentally abusive boyfriend- that was her only serious relationship. She also got into pot/pills for a while. A year ago she got rid of all of her friends- she wanted to start a new productive life without bad influences.

I am a lot older than her. I'm 41 and she's 25. She said she didn't have a problem with the age difference because I look younger and she always pictured herself with someone older. She was the opposite of a gold digger or materialistic but I wanted to make her life better and do whatever nice things I could for her. I love to travel- talked about going on cruises, all inclusives- anything that would make her happy. Even though she had almost no money she always had a great attitude.

she worked at a hair salon between 5-7 days a week. Besides that she did kickboxing 3 nights a week so we would only see each other 2-3 times a week. A month ago there was a stretch of 11 days in a row we didn't see each other due to her demanding schedule. She said that she started losing feelings from not seeing each other .
My parents invited me to stay at their house in Florida for 1st week in March. I asked her to come along but my parents said she cant stay in their house because they're old fashioned and don't know her good enough. It would have cost me an extra $1,000 (hotels, airfare) to have her come so I just went by myself.
While I was there she became distant with her texts and calls- I could tell something was wrong. The day after I got home from Florida she was telling me how her feeling aren't there anymore and we're on a different page with our feelings. This was a shock . Week before I left we talked about our future together and even joined gym together. I asked if she met someone else and she said she would never disrespect me like that and her main focus was always on me. She also said when we first started dating how she never in her life cheated so I trusted her 100%.
We met for dinner and talked about things. She cried the entire time that night. I didn't cry because I was more mad that she was doing this. I said we shouldn't talk so she can see if she misses me. She called it a trial break up. After a week I contacted her. We talked 1 1/2 hours. She said she was pissed off that I didn't show any emotion at dinner. She said I never did anything wrong and have been the best boyfriend she ever had but that she doesn't want this relationship and we're done. She said if the feelings aren't there- then they're not there. I'm devastated. I never got a long with somebody better and always pictured myself having kids and everything with her. I honestly never would have thought she would do this to me. I tried doing everything right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr918 View Post
She said if the feelings aren't there- then they're not there. I'm devastated. I never got a long with somebody better and always pictured myself having kids and everything with her. I honestly never would have thought she would do this to me. I tried doing everything right.

I feel you on this. I'm feeling rather similarly.

But, if they're not there, they're not there. It sucks. It just sucks. Nothing, other than time, will make it better.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
Quote:
I met my girlfriend from an online site a few days after this past Thanksgiving. We hit it off from the start. She has had a very tough life. She had an incompetent mom & dad and the family moved 19 times by the time she was 20 . After high school she had a mentally abusive boyfriend- that was her only serious relationship. She also got into pot/pills for a while. A year ago she got rid of all of her friends- she wanted to start a new productive life without bad influences.

I am a lot older than her. I'm 41 and she's 25. She said she didn't have a problem with the age difference because I look younger and she always pictured herself with someone older. She was the opposite of a gold digger or materialistic but I wanted to make her life better and do whatever nice things I could for her. I love to travel- talked about going on cruises, all inclusives- anything that would make her happy. Even though she had almost no money she always had a great attitude.

she worked at a hair salon between 5-7 days a week. Besides that she did kickboxing 3 nights a week so we would only see each other 2-3 times a week. A month ago there was a stretch of 11 days in a row we didn't see each other due to her demanding schedule. She said that she started losing feelings from not seeing each other .
My parents invited me to stay at their house in Florida for 1st week in March. I asked her to come along but my parents said she cant stay in their house because they're old fashioned and don't know her good enough. It would have cost me an extra $1,000 (hotels, airfare) to have her come so I just went by myself.
While I was there she became distant with her texts and calls- I could tell something was wrong. The day after I got home from Florida she was telling me how her feeling aren't there anymore and we're on a different page with our feelings. This was a shock . Week before I left we talked about our future together and even joined gym together. I asked if she met someone else and she said she would never disrespect me like that and her main focus was always on me. She also said when we first started dating how she never in her life cheated so I trusted her 100%.
We met for dinner and talked about things. She cried the entire time that night. I didn't cry because I was more mad that she was doing this. I said we shouldn't talk so she can see if she misses me. She called it a trial break up. After a week I contacted her. We talked 1 1/2 hours. She said she was pissed off that I didn't show any emotion at dinner. She said I never did anything wrong and have been the best boyfriend she ever had but that she doesn't want this relationship and we're done. She said if the feelings aren't there- then they're not there. I'm devastated. I never got a long with somebody better and always pictured myself having kids and everything with her. I honestly never would have thought she would do this to me. I tried doing everything right.
She said it ain't there possibly cause you showed no emotion at dinner.

Maybe she will come around.

Dude?! Show you care!! Send flowers; "Thinking about you."

Old 03-17-2015, 12:20 PM

189 posts, read 297,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I feel you on this. I'm feeling rather similarly.

But, if they're not there, they're not there. It sucks. It just sucks. Nothing, other than time, will make it better.
Same type of thing just happened to you?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,634,284 times
She's not doing it to you, she's simply doing what is right for her. I'm sorry, I know it sucks.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened to you, no?

If you're going to specifically date much younger women, you have to accept that they are quite likely to be in a different headspace than you regarding the future.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:22 PM

718 posts, read 615,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened to you, no?

If you're going to specifically date much younger women, you have to accept that they are quite likely to be in a different headspace than you regarding the future.
Particularly, damaged young women.

I mean, one could say you had it coming for you.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:25 PM

971 posts, read 688,648 times
Quote:

I had a very similar situation, with a twist, but I know how you feel. I knew a girl thru friends and we became very close. I am not sure you would say we "dated" but we did everything a couple would do. We always had fun. She told me she loved me and I told her I loved her too, but because of our age difference we couldn't get too involved.

I met a woman closer my own age who I hit it off with and I decided to give it a go and see what happened. I told the girl I was going to try a relationship with the other woman and she asked me "what if I said I wanted to move in with you...what would you say?" and I said I would have to say no, because of the age difference, it would not be fair to her. She hugged me and cried on my shoulder and whispered "I hate you...why do you have to be so much older?" and it broke my heart. I told her I understood but it had to be that way. She hasn't spoken to me since I dropped her off at home that night.

I miss her. Looking back on it I wish I would have said what the hell and just done it. What's the worst that could have happened? I fell in love and in ten years or so when I started looking my age, she would have left for someone else. At least I would have had ten good years and I could have been a good provider for her and gotten her thru college and started in a good career. A win-win for us both. BUT...I listened to my big head for once instead of the little head, and now I am in the same boat as you.

My opinoin. If she still talks to you, make the sales pitch to her. Tell her you love her and want to see what happens. I wouldn't mention kids, marriage or anything that permanent. You have nothing to lose. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyga View Post
Particularly, damaged young women.

I mean, one could say you had it coming for you.
Totally agree with this. Attraction is just one piece of the puzzle. It's nice that you are attracted to her, but you have to look at the big picture, which includes her history and her mental/emotional health. Those things aren't stable for her right now, and by dating her you've now signed up for the consequences of that. You really need to be dating someone closer to your age, 30 at least, and learn to spot and avoid red flags in women.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
I've learned, sometimes doing your best just isn't good enough; such is life.

Shake it off and move on to your next devastation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships