Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:02 PM

26,695 posts, read 41,692,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Has this ever happened to you?
Yes and it took forever to live down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 01:08 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,879,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Do it in a venue where you are unlikely to know anyone or ever see anyone again and bring a wing-man who is likely to high five you and buy the next round in honor of the attempt rather than make fun of you for it unironically.

That or don't specifically go to bars/clubs to meet girls at all.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:12 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,401,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
When I was in my 20s/early 30s, I went to bars with girlfriends frequently. Maybe there would be two of us, maybe 4 or 5, depending on the situation. I was regularly approached by guys, and I'm sure my friends were, too. A guy approaching one woman in a busy bar didn't need to worry about impressing the entire group. Everyone had their own conversations going with each other or other bar patrons. From reading the Relationship forum (since this issue has been mentioned in other threads), it sounds as though either times have changed, or guys are just far bigger wussies these days. Thank goodness dudes had the balls to approach in my bar days!
Honestly, times have changed a bit. Even my own Mother has said so as much.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:53 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,735,342 times
Quote:
it sounds as though either times have changed, or guys are just far bigger wussies these days.
As a guy, I say this to be true. I mean this was not a gay bar. I just can't see how 5 beautiful women in their 20's just hanging out and having a seemingly good-time were not approached by just one of the hundreds of guys at this establishment that night. Mind you this was over a 3-hr period.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:56 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,735,342 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully nothing of that magnitude ever happened or will happen again. That's an experience no guy should be subjected too.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM

102,171 posts, read 107,680,573 times
Quote:
As a guy, I say this to be true. I mean this was not a gay bar. I just can't see how 5 beautiful women in their 20's just hanging out and having a seemingly good-time were not approached by just one of the hundreds of guys at this establishment that night. Mind you this was over a 3-hr period.
This kind of things happens in many social contexts, not just bars and clubs. Even when the women find an excuse to walk over to the guys and break the ice, nothing happens. The women usually conclude they must be chopped liver. But maybe it's just a bizarre reticence on the guys' part. Or some of both. Go figure.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:10 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,401,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This kind of things happens in many social contexts, not just bars and clubs. Even when the women find an excuse to walk over to the guys and break the ice, nothing happens. The women usually conclude they must be chopped liver. But maybe it's just a bizarre reticence on the guys' part. Or some of both. Go figure.
One issue could be that the guys have tried to approach a group of women before and they were shot down hard (like the dissenter said in this thread), so for better or worse, they're reluctant to try again.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:21 PM

102,171 posts, read 107,680,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
One issue could be that the guys have tried to approach a group of women before and they were shot down hard (like the dissenter said in this thread), so for better or worse, they're reluctant to try again.
Well, that raises the question: why are they there in the first place, then? Again, not talking about the bar/club environment where guys may go to chill with their friends, but other types of social occasions. If they're afraid of approaching, why do they attend those events, only to stand around the edges, watching? It doesn't make sense.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,296,836 times
Don't approach women in a group. A recipe for disaster.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,296,836 times
Quote:
I have heard this a fair share of times. Why do you think this is the case? I am sure there are always exceptions, perhaps?
I tried it before and I was embarrassed. One time was enough to make me never approach women in groups again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships