Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I fluctuate between ENTJ and INFP. Figure that out. LOL.
It just means that 3 of the 4 categories aren't very pronounced for you. They aren't for most people, really.

I'm the same way, I show up as xxTx.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-25-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:57 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Yeah that is basically me in a nutshell. I lead a responsible, structured, and somewhat predictable life. If anything I am too mentally, emotionally, and financially stable. Thanks for the suggestions.
You work and you work out. Who are you as a person, as opposed to what you do? Things bathing and shaving should not be listed at all in a dating profile, IMO.

Employed and exercises regularly aren't going to get messages from women saying "OMG, I have a job and go to the gym too!!!!!"

If you happen to umpire in Little League games, maybe there's a woman whose nephew plays on a team you umpire for. Your profile doesn't currently show anything that would demonstrate your personality or a "hook" of something you would have in common or be able to bond over.

Last edited by Katnan; 03-25-2015 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-25-2015, 03:58 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What intrigues me about the test is all the feedback they make available afterwards. You look up your type, and they give you pages of info, including personality characteristics, and career suggestions. The surprising thing about it is how right on they are. It's like looking up your horoscope; usually they have very little, if anything, to do with who you are, or the descriptions are vague enough to fit almost anyone. But the Meyers-Briggs horoscope really hits all the nails on the head. It's good for college students who have no idea what field they want to get into. Pretty accurate.
I guess - but I think it would be more accurate to have the test administered and interpreted by a professional. I tend to doubt the ones online a bit. Some things seem accurate for me but some things not so much. I definitely agree with the overall assessment of my personality but there are some things that are pretty off, too. It's also hard because we don't always see ourselves clearly when answering the questions.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
It's also hard because we don't always see ourselves clearly when answering the questions.
Right. A lot of people skew the results by picking the choice that sounds good or seems right rather than the answer that's the most honest one for them. Anyway, a Myers-Briggs initial salad in an online profile is just as meaningful as a horoscope sign (read: not).

Old 03-25-2015, 04:00 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As low as 21? Yikes!

Other than the obvious, what can a 21 year old possibly offer a 35-40 year old man?

Nvm, Lol
a wife that isn't divorced with trust issues and a chip on their shoulder with children of their own. A mother of your own children as opposed to someone else's.

Last edited by Mikelee81; 03-25-2015 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 04:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right. A lot of people skew the results by picking the choice that sounds good or seems right rather than the answer that's the most honest one for them. Anyway, a Myers-Briggs initial salad in an online profile is just as meaningful as a horoscope sign (read: not).
I agree. I take the test from time to time because I find it amusing. I only ever know what my particular letters stand for and what they mean. I have no idea what any other combination implies about who someone is.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:13 PM

270 posts, read 283,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
So I was messaged by a woman that said she found me attractive but after reading my criteria on my profile she wasn't so sure after that. I reread my profile to see if I missed something in there but the only criteria I listed was age range of 21-35, fitness minded females since I am a fitness minded male, and no kids since I don't have kids. I am 35. This is what she wrote me.

It isn't like I made a huge list that I see on women's profiles.
I think you're asking two different questions. I cannot comment much to your personal experience with that woman, because I was not privy to what else transpired. However, I strongly suspect some sort of culture clash playing a role in her response to you. Your expectations seem fine, but that cut and paste thing on your profile about how you have never been arrested etc. would turn me off. I've seen it on several profiles. If you can deliver what you expect in return, everything's cool. If on your profile you are 5'11" skier with an average build, and in person only 5'8" or so, weighing in at 300 lbs, and haven't skied in years, different story.

As for your our other question, if men's expectations are too high, I have to say, sometimes they do come across as unrealistic for some men, especially in OLD. I have seen many men carrying a double standard, often a much higher one for the woman than for themselves. They can certainly do that, but not be surprised if they remain undated for some time. Or have short, unsuccessful dalliances.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
An attempt at paring that profile down:

---------
Hey ladies! I think I might be a catch.

-I shower regularly and shave once a week!
-I'm not in jail, I'm not on probation, and I don't any warrants out for my arrest.
-I have a steady, successful career.
-Happy hour isn't part of my daily commute, but the gym is!
-I don't smell like a bowl of weed.
-I have a great sense of humor, too.

Simply put, not all of the marriage-minded, decent guys are taken.

[Note: You need to call yourself single or divorced here, I don't know which you are]. I don't have any kids and I'm looking for a woman that doesn't have any kids, either. [Note: You need to mention here whether or not you might want kids in a committed relationship with this new woman or you'll confuse your audience]. Since I am fitness minded and take good care of myself, I'm attracted to women that also lead a healthy lifestyle.

I started my own business in 2010 and it has really taken off. I have never been happier professionally, and am looking for a woman that appreciates a man like me to share time with. I have a good head on my shoulders, I don't have any mental hang ups, and I have a very positive outlook on life.

If you like what you see, message me!

------

I think that's short, sweet and free of word confusion and/or repetition.

Also, I recommend widening your age range to go a bit above your stated age. Makes you look nicer. Maybe kick it up to 38.

Go up on the lower age to at least get these women out of college. I recommend 23/24.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You beat me to it. I was going to say that the Myers-Briggs alphabet soup must be the 21st century version of "what's your sign?"

Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
a wife that isn't divorced with trust issues and a chip on their shoulder with children of their own. A mother of your own children as opposed to someone else's.
And, potentially, a young woman who hasn't sown her wild oats yet and may have daddy issues.

There's good and bad in all age brackets.

By aiming much lower and refusing to go any higher, the OP might be running off some good potential mates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships