Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 11:48 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times

Advertisements

LOL using Facebook as a dating app gives me the heebie jeebies.

Just because the app itself is so...stalkery. Y'know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I agree, but need to cast a wider net (Tinder, FB Dating) because OkC and PoF aren't giving the results I desire. I may give Zoosk and Bumble another trial run (a month) just for … "coverage".

Old 10-15-2019, 11:57 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
I agree, but need to cast a wider net (Tinder, FB Dating) because OkC and PoF aren't giving the results I desire. I may give Zoosk and Bumble another trial run (a month) just for … "coverage".
I think POF would give me like 25 matches and an equal amount of 'super matches' when I used it. Instead of casting a wider net, did you take the time to consider all the matches that were found for you?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 AM

102,215 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
To be clear, when I say 30's, I mean she was 35, not 30. She found out because I told her when she mentioned me being 44. I don't remember how it came up, but as soon as I realized she thought I was younger, I told her. We met through the FB dating app. My FB age is wrong because, as Sonic Spork mentioned, thats an easy target for identity theft. In fact, I heard Frank Abagnale speak (Catch Me If You Can movie based on him) early this year on identity theft, and that was one of the first things he said is don't show your real age in FB. I changed it before the dating app came out. Of course a few people on here will call me a liar for that, but whatever. Anyway, after telling her that, it was over.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:01 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

While FB does have a new dating app, he might not have been referring to that specifically. Swipe apps like bumble and tinder are, or can be, tied your FB account. It imports data and makes selecting profile pics easy. If your birthday is off on your FB account, or hometown is off, both common things, then your age will be off on the dating app.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:06 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
While FB does have a new dating app, he might not have been referring to that specifically. Swipe apps like bumble and tinder are, or can be, tied your FB account. It imports data and makes selecting profile pics easy. If your birthday is off on your FB account, or hometown is off, both common things, then your age will be off on the dating app.
Bumble just started tying into Spotify as well. I accepted that, as may profiles announce: Anything but "Rap and Hip Hop!" So if it's important to know what kind of music I like, before we meet, I may as well be 'disqualified' right away.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:14 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Bumble just started tying into Spotify as well. I accepted that, as may profiles announce: Anything but "Rap and Hip Hop!" So if it's important to know what kind of music I like, before we meet, I may as well be 'disqualified' right away.
Some can link to IG as well, and that can tell a lot. I only use Instagram for promotion of projects, so I doubt it really does much for me other than show I produce things. I ran across an exes profile with her IG account and its many of the same photo s from her FL account, with minor cropping. Cha Ching.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM

2,066 posts, read 900,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I think POF would give me like 25 matches and an equal amount of 'super matches' when I used it. Instead of casting a wider net, did you take the time to consider all the matches that were found for you?

Naturally, but since a guy can send out twenty message and maybe get back three polite rejections and one possible friendly response (but not always), I look for interest before sending out a message (ie, a woman viewed me, hit "wants to meet", added me as a "favorite"). Weeding out the too-distant and the scam profiles (a town listed as "Local" or "Nearby" is an obvious scam), and the "MsX only wants to hear from paying members, upgrade now!" money-makers, the ones whose description is "asdfasdfasdf" and the ones that don't appeal to me visually, it doesn't leave much. Sometimes I will scroll my "prospects" and send a message or two but with no expectation of response.

And I think I hit most of the boxes a woman might want, at least at a high level, 6'0", high income, dog lover, home owner, graduate degree, good communication skills and sense of humor, good face. It doesn't seem to matter, my luck is as bad as most of the other male posters here.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
I just joined both POF and OKC within the last week, and thus far, no responses on POF but a few on OKC. I get plenty of "likes" on both sites, but not many of the "likers" bother to write me an actual message. I find it interesting though to simply browse the profiles and look at the various pictures. I'm an outdoorsy/nature/animal-loving guy, so I gravitate towards people who have pictures of themselves with animals or out hiking or out doing anything outdoorsy.

One thing that I find a bit weird, though, is seeing so many women 50+ posting selfies and full-body shots of themselves standing in front of a mirror -- something that I more associate with teenagers and twenty somethings. I'm 45, but I like women both younger and older, so I select a wide age range for my search criteria. But I never contact anyone who posts those sorts of provocative, revealing types of photos; I find it a bit immature and narcissistic. But obviously the desire to show one's "goods" does not necessarily wane with advancing age. I admit, though, that many of these women look nice and attractive, but there's something about putting that much of yourself out for public consumption that I find a bit distasteful. The whole sexy pose, with the pouty lips, and the accentuated stance, snapping a photo while standing in front of a mirror just seems childish to me! LOL.

But to each his/her own. We all like what we like and do what we do, so my opinion is just that.

Overall, though, I don't have many expectations in terms of actually meeting someone to date and/or just to get to know (which is what i really desire -- just meeting new people for activities/adventures -- and if something develops from that, great; if not, that's ok, too).

Old 10-15-2019, 12:25 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Naturally, but since a guy can send out twenty message and maybe get back three polite rejections and one possible friendly response (but not always), I look for interest before sending out a message (ie, a woman viewed me, hit "wants to meet", added me as a "favorite"). Weeding out the too-distant and the scam profiles (a town listed as "Local" or "Nearby" is an obvious scam), and the "MsX only wants to hear from paying members, upgrade now!" money-makers, the ones whose description is "asdfasdfasdf" and the ones that don't appeal to me visually, it doesn't leave much. Sometimes I will scroll my "prospects" and send a message or two but with no expectation of response.

And I think I hit most of the boxes a woman might want, at least at a high level, 6'0", high income, dog lover, home owner, graduate degree, good communication skills and sense of humor, good face. It doesn't seem to matter, my luck is as bad as most of the other male posters here.
Yep. Very similar, but it doesn't matter anymore. I think maybe a big part of it is women don't need men anymore. Women make as much as men and can just get a donor if they want a child. I also think women are way more comfortable (in general) living alone than men. I think the tables have turned. Its now more advantageous for a man to get married than for a woman to. Marriage adds 7 years to a man's life. I think women are fine being alone as they get older, so marriage adds nothing life expectancy wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships