Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Yeah, if there's a full body picture with the person wearing something other than a parka, then the description isn't really necessary. Maybe it's meant to be a test of how the person see's himself or herself?
Maybe. But I think it is supposed to be used as a filter, so if someone is looking for people with an athletic build they can use that, etc., and find others who fit the bill.

But it fails because a lot of the answers are subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Yeah, if there's a full body picture with the person wearing something other than a parka, then the description isn't really necessary. Maybe it's meant to be a test of how the person see's himself or herself?
True but people can also put up very flattering photos of their bodies, which might not be a fair representation of what they really look like. I mean I'm maybe about 15 pounds overweight and I have curves, I have pics where I look thinner then I do in person, I try not put those up because they're not an accurate representation of what I really look like, however I tend to look slimmer in photos because I have a narrow frame. Just an FYI I use the curvy description. I just don't want to mislead anyone.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:47 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
The last time I did OLD, last year, I only searched for 5'10" and taller because thinking back to my prior experiences, more than half the 5'9"s I met were really 5'6"s and 5'7"s and I can't stand when people b.s. with that. I'm 5'5" and generally wear 2-inch heels on dates. If you're lying about your height, I'll know when I walk up to you and my eyes are level with yours. If a guy puts 5'10", it's a good bet he's not lying, because that is taller than average and he doesn't feel compelled to. And no, it's not about the height itself. My last SO was 5'8", and I've dated guys who were 5'6" and 5'7". It's the lying.

I also only searched for "thin," "fit," "athletic," and "jacked," because "about average" usually meant "overweight." I found "a few extra pounds" to mean "obese."

When I searched, I had some tight parameters, actually. In addition to the above, I searched 5 years younger to 4 years older, atheist or agnostic, no kids, Bachelor's or higher, vegetarian or "mostly vegetarian" (but not vegan), sometimes I ruled out tattoos and piercings, and sometimes I even went ahead and put hair color in (I was, and still am, on a blond kick). Couldn't hurt to see if I could find everything in one guy.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Ditto Lilac on the height issue. I preferred 5'10"+, but more times than not those who put 5'10" or 5'9' were really 5'8". Since I am 5'9.5" I will know if they were being less than honest about their height.

I tended to search for "average" and "athletic" men, and the vast majority fit the description they put in their profile. Only two men flat out lied about it. One put "athletic" and the other either "average" or "a little extra" and both carried well over 50+ more than their photos.

I put "average" or "curvy."

Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM

Yea for height I put 5'10 as well but I'm 5'8 and while I don't have any huge issues with guys my height, I've met a couple of guys who've said they were 5'9 and when I met them they were shorter then me yet somehow seemed to be taken back by how tall I was, which I clearly stated in my profile. So to avoid these awkward situations I search for guys 5'10 or taller.

But yea just to confirm your point, I work with a guy who swears he's 5'8 (my height) yet when he stands next to me he's about 3 inches shorter.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
b
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So this is a question that has always been on my mind....

On certain dating websites there is a field where you get to choose what body type you prefer your partner to have. I feel like some of the description options are a bit ambiguous and for someone like me who isn't really into wasting her time, I'd really like to know what most men thing each body type description means. I mean I'm a tall girl, so the height thing is pretty straight forward I'm 5'8 so if a guy says he prefers his date to be 5'6 or below, I just won't communicate with him....however with the body type I feel as thought its sometimes a challenge to figure out what they want!
So guys, could you please describe what each body type listed here means to you (I am excluding slender, athletic and full figured because those are pretty obvious).

curvy
about average
a few extra pounds (i feel like most guys think this one means very heavy).
Also would like to know the difference between slender and about average because to me it sounds like the same.

Thanks!
Curvy usually means athletic (like Coco or Serena Williams) or pleasantly plump.

A few extra pounds can mean anything from 3-10 pounds up to 500 pounds overweight. Depends on what others members define themselves as.

Slender means thin, looks good and fits in anything without much effort. About average I would just assume around 135lbs to 155lbs.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 AM

Yea I guess all around it's pretty subjective.

Like I said for something like height if a guy states he's 5'9 and in reality he is 5'5, that is a blatant and obvious lie, and would probably put a woman off just for the sheer dishonesty. But body type is not really as concrete as height, so like someone else pointed out, one man's "curvy" or "average" is another man's "few extra pounds" so it would be a bit unfair to say the woman is being dishonest about her body type, its more that she's just listing what she's usually being referred to, and lets face it most people are going to go up to you and say "you're a girl with a few extra pounds on you".

Old 03-27-2015, 11:39 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
About the height thing, I met a guy who said he was 5'6" and he really was because he was slightly shorter than me. However I have found that guys tend to lie about height. I get why but I wish they'd be honest because there are women like me who don't care.

Weight seems to be one of those issues where everyone lies. I expect a few extra pounds to mean chubby but usually means obese. I've also met guys who claimed to be athletic or muscular but most were obese too. Only thin seems to mostly get non obese men. Meanwhile the women I know think they are fat and put a few extra pounds when they aren't even chubby.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
1. No one says the truth about them selves in OLD.
2. Even some one told the truth no one believe that either
3. I am not fan of online dating any more. So I fill in case if I go there" Big fat, can eat a lot and fart hard"

Honestly I feel sick when it comes to online dating to be honest.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
1. No one says the truth about them selves in OLD.
2. Even some one told the truth no one believe that either
3. I am not fan of online dating any more. So I fill in case if I go there" Big fat, can eat a lot and fart hard"

Honestly I feel sick when it comes to online dating to be honest.
I'm not a fan of it either, but honestly that seems to be my only way to meet someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships