Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 09:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,142,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
It's not a line. He just wanted to make sure you got home safely. You know, like when you give a woman a ride home, and wait to make sure she got in the door safely? It's just the considerate thing to do.

Doesn't anyone take things at face value anymore?
I think it's actually a selfish thing to do. It's entirely for the benefit of the one asking to make them feel better. It doesn't "make sure" of anything. And it puts a requirement on the person asked.

I've asked this a few times though and had it asked of me by girls but it invariably creates more problems than it solves. One person gets home and gets busy and forgets then the other person is needlessly worrying (solves nothing) or has forgotten as well (negates the point of having asked).

So, for those of you that ask, do you follow up if you don't get that text? How long do you wait? If your date has a 10 minute drive home are you pinging them in 15 or 45? If you get no reply to that how do you decide if they are dead in a ditch or sound asleep?

The real reason for asking is to create a personal connection, something kinda intimate they shared with you. They aren't texting their best friend or their mom, but you. They go about their business every day of their life going to work, shopping, seeing friends, etc. just fine without someone "making sure" they are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 AM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think it's actually a selfish thing to do. It's entirely for the benefit of the one asking to make them feel better. It doesn't "make sure" of anything. And it puts a requirement on the person asked.

I've asked this a few times though and had it asked of me by girls but it invariably creates more problems than it solves. One person gets home and gets busy and forgets then the other person is needlessly worrying (solves nothing) or has forgotten as well (negates the point of having asked).

So, for those of you that ask, do you follow up if you don't get that text? How long do you wait? If your date has a 10 minute drive home are you pinging them in 15 or 45? If you get no reply to that how do you decide if they are dead in a ditch or sound asleep?

The real reason for asking is to create a personal connection, something kinda intimate they shared with you. They aren't texting their best friend or their mom, but you. They go about their business every day of their life going to work, shopping, seeing friends, etc. just fine without someone "making sure" they are safe.
Please tell me this is a joke post......

Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,142,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's a joke post. Happy? (It's really not but you must be one of those people that want to be told what you want to hear rather than the truth.)

Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,709,549 times
I'd pretty much ignore it, but then again I ignore a lot of texts, even from gfs, I'm not much of a texter I'd rather speak the King's English.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 AM

286 posts, read 149,630 times
Could be either one. Could be it means he cares about you or is just a nice guy and being considerate.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:36 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,684,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'd pretty much ignore it, but then again I ignore a lot of texts, even from gfs, I'm not much of a texter I'd rather speak the King's English.
I doubt you speak that either.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:56 AM

102,132 posts, read 107,402,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL! I think oceangaia has a good point! His (her?) post sounds like something I'd say---that super-logical mind. ^_^ Seriously, what does it mean when the person gets home and forgets to text? Does the "concerned" person follow up? Or is "Text me when you get home, so I know you arrived safely" like asking "how are you", in that nobody really expects you to actually tell them how you are? You don't really expect a frank answer, which means you don't really care how they are? Get it?

lol Never mind....

Old 03-29-2015, 12:00 PM

750 posts, read 642,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So met a guy off a dating site last night. It went ok, but could've been better which is my fault because I was super exhausted and probably wasn't very exciting company. Anyway at the end of the date he walked me to my car and told me to text him to let him know I got home safe, I also only lived a 5-7 minute drive away from the place and he was aware of this.

Anyway I texted him when I got home and thanked him for coming out to meet me (he lives about 45 min away) and I apologized for not being much company, he replied saying it was ok and that he understood I had a long day, then I replied telling him to have a good night and he did the same.

So my question is do you guys say the "text me when you get home" line because you're interested in the girl or are you just being a nice guy?
You should probably have been able to tell if he was interested in you during your date. Just being on the date implies he is interested in you in some shape or fashion.

In any event, you will know in short order if he is interested in you or not. If he is interested in you he will be texting you and try to set up another date.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:03 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,964,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

In each situation I've asked the woman to send me a text or a phone call when they got home, they've always sent out some kind of reply back. If she didn't send me some kind of message I would send a text out about a half hour or so, unless I knew it was a longer drive.

I asked because sometimes bad things happen on the road, like a flat tire, there car just breaks down for whatever reason, and sometimes there closest friends aren't available and there parents aren't around, so they know that I'm willing to come find them and help them get home and call a tow truck.

It's not being selfish in the least. If you think that, I'm sorry you think that way.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
In each situation I've asked the woman to send me a text or a phone call when they got home, they've always sent out some kind of reply back. If she didn't send me some kind of message I would send a text out about a half hour or so, unless I knew it was a longer drive.

I asked because sometimes bad things happen on the road, like a flat tire, there car just breaks down for whatever reason, and sometimes there closest friends aren't available and there parents aren't around, so they know that I'm willing to come find them and help them get home and call a tow truck.

It's not being selfish in the least. If you think that, I'm sorry you think that way.
I think it show's his upbringing...He has likely always done this..since He was likely brought up to let his parents know..when he arrived, who he was with , and where he is....I was brought up like that..and of course as a younger' I thought..Don't they trust me..But as I got older..I realized why it's so important.

Anyway, considerate behaviour seem's that some question if there's a hidden agenda?? Yikes!!

As to if by someone to call ( in the old days) I did...and If I ask say, my son or friend to call..THEN if no call in certain period of time...You bet I followed up and call them!!! Usual excuse was..I forgot..got side tracked.
BUT They call or I call..End of message...Home Safe and Sound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships