Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times

Advertisements

didnt read thru this thread but am i wrong to think this is a "height" thread in disguise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
didnt read thru this thread but am i wrong to think this is a "height" thread in disguise?
Yeah. height isn't brought up anywhere in here. The OP is a bi-lesbian, possible pansexual, woman, who hates women saying they want strong men because it sounds primitive and weak, because they apparently can't defend/help/protect themselves.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be a man and not ever have that desire to feel small and safe, in someone's strong protective arms. Not since being a baby held in his mother's arms, I suppose.

It might because they are generally not as fearful in the world. They don't get spooked walking down the street alone at night, as an example. How different the world must look through the eyes of a man.

I just caught this post

kinda weird but thought provoking

fear is what keeps you alive, but as a guy i dont even have a concept of what you just said. haha

good stuff...

Old 03-31-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Yeah. height isn't brought up anywhere in here. The OP is a bi-lesbian, possible pansexual, woman, who hates women saying they want strong men because it sounds primitive and weak, because they apparently can't defend/help/protect themselves.
haha, thought it might have been an angry short dude

so you saying its just one of those angry feminists instead?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
It has nothing to do with physical strength....it's more about competence. I need a man who, whether the hurricane is heading towards the house or there's a mouse in the garage, to be able to say to me "Calm down, Baby, I got it all under control, here's the plan, we're going to be fine". That's when I can relax into a man.
On the contrary, my ex was always a panicky type in crisis, thus I always felt that in a crisis I would have to be the strong one, I would have to reassure and calm him...and that made me feel like I was standing on mud instead of stable ground, like I had no rock to lean on. I don't care if it's old fashioned, it's what gets me aroused, that feeling of safety, of being with a man who is confident in his abilities and knows what he's doing.

One ex, we were camping, and in the middle of the night, he woke me to tell me it was raining and the tent was leaking....I looked at him expectantly, waiting for the next line, what the plan was...and my heart sank as I continued to wait, and realized he was waiting for ME to come up with the plan. That made me feel totally unsafe, if he can't make a decision to protect us from something simple like that, what's he going to do in a real crisis?

My last bf, he had a narrow bed, sometimes when we'd be rolling around having sex, I'd feel like I was going to roll off onto the floor...my bf would catch that momentary look in my eyes, grab me and pull me up into him and whisper "Don't worry, I've got you"...that is IT for me, that is what makes me feel safe, and swooney, and in love.

I do think we're programmed to feel that way, btw.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
haha, thought it might have been an angry short dude

so you saying its just one of those angry feminists instead?
Possibly a man-hater, who hides behind the guise of being a "feminist." But I can't say. I don't know them, but they seem to get worked up about what other women do with themselves, and like. They also started a thread about hating women who are butch and it's annoying lesbian women don't look or act like women.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:05 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
Quote:

I just caught this post

kinda weird but thought provoking

fear is what keeps you alive, but as a guy i dont even have a concept of what you just said. haha

good stuff...
Just caught it also...VERY deep. I'm a guy and I've never really thought of things in quite the way you've phrased them here.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
I don't get it. If you're always searching for someone who can be there to protect u and you can't protect yourself? And protect them from what? Other men?

This is like saying women are too weak to protect themselves and that we somehow have to rely on men.
Yes that is exactly what it means and always has meant...no need to overthink it.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:13 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Have to admit I have never once in my life ever heard any woman anywhere say this.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Add me to the "instinct" camp. To elaborate….

Our preferences and emotional proclivities need not bear much relation to our actual situations in life. Men who are avowedly child-free might still be strongly physically attracted to women with anatomical features most conducive to successful pregnancy, childbirth and lactation. Women who are successful professionals, scientists, executives, administrators or whatnot, might still be attracted to a "masculine" man with the character-traits, behaviors and physical features connoting "protection". This bears no direct relation to actual physical safety walking down a poorly-lit street at night, or hypothetical response to a prepper-style "disaster" scenario. This follows from the assumption that our preferences are less the result of calculation or response to our actual lifestyle circumstances, than innate predilections and instinct.

Of course tastes differ, and of course not ALL men or ALL women will evince some easily-described preference. And it might be rare for women or men to actually verbalize their preferences, to others or even to themselves! But if there are prevailing trends, then one's dating-behavior can presumably be altered to comport with those trends. If it turns out that most women in a given society, or at least the plurality of women, are attracted to men with long hair, then there's value for men to grow their hair long. There's still no guarantee that a long-haired man would enjoy a dating-advantage, and it's certainly stupid to do this for a man who is uncomfortable with long hair and who would feel that such a styling would importune him and reduce his quality of life substantially. But if it's no particular hardship for him, and has been definitively shown to be a dating-advantage, then there's good reason to attempt it.

So… do women prefer men who in some regard can "protect" them? I would say: there's good reason to think so, of course with awareness of ample exceptions. How to translate this into actual behavior? That unfortunately is far more opaque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships