Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:46 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,278,514 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years unfortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm unfortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm honestly feeling like a failure and I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Been through it.

Realized everyone has their own path, including myself, and focused on that.

I don't pay other people any attention. Never compare yourself to anyone. It never ends well.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years unfortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm unfortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm honestly feeling like a failure and I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?
This is ridiculous. Just because you're not married and have children doesn't make you a failure and you certainly have no need to apologize. My suggestion is to quit comparing your life with other people and stop spending so much time on Facebook, I think you'll be much happier.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Been through it.

Realized everyone has their own path, including myself, and focused on that.

I don't pay other people any attention. Never compare yourself to anyone. It never ends well.
+1.... But didn't it seem like EVERYONE in your age group was moving forward at the same time? I feel like I lost a race or something honestly.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Get off facebook. You are not a failure.

It's just that time of life when a lot of old friendships start drifting apart, and moving on. Doesn't matter who's doing what, or who's not. Even if you were doing the things they are, it would still happen.

Life isn't about keeping up with the Jones' anyway, man.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
This is ridiculous. Just because you're not married and have children doesn't make you a failure and you certainly have no need to apologize. My suggestion is to quit comparing your life with other people and stop spending so much time on Facebook, I think you'll be much happier.
Well I'm not spending a lot of time on Facebook at all. Its just than every time I log on, I see pics of babies and wedding rings. It stirs up jealousy in me. I'm not comparing, its just hard to NOT realize that I lost a race apparently. A lot of my peers are moving at the same speed.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
It's not a race, man.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Well I'm not spending a lot of time on Facebook at all. Its just than every time I log on, I see pics of babies and wedding rings. It stirs up jealousy in me. I'm not comparing, its just hard to NOT realize that I lost a race apparently. A lot of my peers are moving at the same speed.
It's understandable to feel that jealously. Just don't let it eat you alive.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
That happens, it's inevitable. I had friends who got married and had kids and eventually we just drifted apart. That's life. Also if you view it as a race, you're totally looking at it the wrong way.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
My Facebook page is pretty uneventful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships